Back Up Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 19th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Back Up Camera

Hi Folks,

I'm amazed at how many responses I received for my last post "Working With Photographers" thanks for your insights guys.

On this topic, I would like to know how many of you have a back up camera on the ready.

I currently use a Sony Z1 and have had no trouble with it, touch wood. I also have a 3 chip Panasonic Camcorder (not HD) that I would prefer that I never have to use.

I would personally very much like to have a backup that is the same quality but am having trouble raising the funds to obtain one. What with the numerous other costs associated with running the business.

Do you shoot with a spare kit in the car?
If so is it as good as the main camera kit?
Or do you only shoot with the one camera?

I'd like to upgrade the Z1 maybe get an EX1 and keep the Z1 as a back up, but the outlay is more than I can currenly afford. I'd also like a new mac, some bridal mag advertising. where does it end?

Like to know your thought's, even your stories.

Cheers,

David
Drumroll Productions
www.drumroll.com.au
David Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Trustee

David

I always shoot with one camera my Z5, but with weddings I also use my FX7 as a second camera that acts as a backup as well.

Stelios
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Major Player

You know sometimes that doesn't come handy

Yesterday we had two cinematographers and the client had booked two different photographers from different companies.

One of them was incredible working with our movement and us with his but this other individual no matter how many times I told him kept coming in the shot.

At the end, I literary had to tell him to stop coming in the shots or I will make sure that he doesn't.

Not sure why people don't get it sometimes and respect their fellow comrades.
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #4
Trustee

I never shoot with one cam. Ever! I suppose that I would if I am shooting more staged events / commercials. But even for those, I currently shoot with two GL2s. Since I'm still in SD land, my cams are pretty cheap (I'm even thinking of getting a 3rd GL2).

If I am contracted for a 2 cam shoot (most of mine are) then I bring three cams (my emergency cam is a GS320). IF I am supposed to shoot a 3 cam event, then I bring them all and hope nothing goes wrong. :-)
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Do you shoot with a spare kit in the car?
I do shoot with a spare but not in the car. That would be a spoile. I use a Canon HV30 along with my XHA1 and put that on a stand in the back for totals and cutaways.
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #6
Tourist

I'm still working on a somewhat local level, not up there with the professional guys, but I use a Sony HDR HC7 as my main camera, and my old JVC camcorder for extra locked off shots.

I'm still working in SD too, although my Sony does do HD. and I'm mostly doing music videos so the image quality from the JVC camcorder doesnt matter as much seeing as i filter it and add effects and whatnot.

I'd like to get a second HC7 though, its never let me down, and I think the image quality is superb
Nick Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Canon XH A1 and Sony FX1, either of them could be my back up.
I have another guy filming the ceremony but at different angle.
Anthony J. Howe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques