DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Light Stand and Dual Light Mount for Wedding Reception (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/239365-light-stand-dual-light-mount-wedding-reception.html)

Taky Cheung July 20th, 2009 01:16 PM

Light Stand and Dual Light Mount for Wedding Reception

I'm wanting to mount 2 Comer lights on a stand for weddng reception. Do you guys think this setup will work?

AlienBees: LS3050 10-foot General Purpose Stand

Morris | MTH-203 Umbrella Tilt Head | 32203 | B&H Photo Video

Also, should get some sandbag too?

Alec Moreno July 20th, 2009 03:56 PM

Absolutely buy some sandbags. You won't always need them, but when there's a chance of someone knocking over your stand...expect it to happen.

As for the stand...the wider the base the better. The one I use is similar and I'm happy with it. I would like the option of going wider though.

As for the dual-shoe adapter...I'm leery. If I'm rigging up anything in the air, I need to screw it in or secure it in some other absolute way so I don't have to worry about it sliding out and crashing down on someone's head. The adapter you pointed us to looks like it doesn't have a hole to screw into, and the Comers with batteries are pretty heavy.

I really like my Comer 1800 by the way, and I think it's size and quality make it a good candidate for a stand-alone reception light.

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com

Taky Cheung July 20th, 2009 05:03 PM

Alec, thanks for the advice and I'm glad to hear the Comer lights work great for you.

I think I'm going to the local Samy's camera store to check out any other alternatives to mount light in a more secure way.

Thanks

Taky Cheung October 23rd, 2009 10:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally I figure out a way to mount 2 lights on a light stand in an affordable way =)

Twin Lights On Stand | L.A. Color Blog

Kees van Duijvenbode October 24th, 2009 12:39 PM

Looks good. Now you only should have a way to remote control it.
BTW: Me I also love my Comer light. Much better then my PAG 6 kit (which is now for sale btw).

Kevin Lewis October 24th, 2009 01:41 PM

Taky:

This set up is interesting. How will it be used at the reception?

Sean Seah October 24th, 2009 10:43 PM

What is a popular lighting setup for wedding receptions?

Taky Cheung October 25th, 2009 02:30 PM

I have this setup yesterday at a reception. I am so glad I have such setup because the ball room is really dim. The DJ told me the customers want it intimate without much light. I ignored him. I have 4 comer lights all setup in spot light mode. It works very well. Here's the setup

Code:

[head table]                              [cake]

-----------------------------------------------
                                                [two Comer lights]

[Dance Floor]                       

[Cam B]              [Cam A]

When guests spoke, the two lights on stand creates a glow on them while the light on the camera lits their front evenly. Also, during the first dance and father-daughter dance, I circle them with my stedicam. The video looks awesome with the lens flare.

There isn't any light at the cake table. When they cut the cake, I turn around the twin lights to the cake table that creates a focal point (since it's dark everywhere else). After that, the bride and groom gave a speech there. The spotlight mode on the Comer lights work really well for that.

Consider the days before in such situation, I have to crank up the gain to 3db or 6db on my Canon XH-A1. Now I work in -3db and 0db only. The video is clean and grain free.

I will post some videos later on.

Kevin Lewis October 25th, 2009 03:13 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing the footage.

Michael Liebergot October 26th, 2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1437693)
I have this setup yesterday at a reception. I am so glad I have such setup because the ball room is really dim. The DJ told me the customers want it intimate without much light. I ignored him. I have 4 comer lights all setup in spot light mode. It works very well. Here's the setup

Code:

[head table]                              [cake]

[two Comer lights]

[Dance Floor]                       

[Cam B]              [Cam A]

When guests spoke, the two lights on stand creates a glow on them while the light on the camera lits their front evenly. Also, during the first dance and father-daughter dance, I circle them with my stedicam. The video looks awesome with the lens flare.

There isn't any light at the cake table. When they cut the cake, I turn around the twin lights to the cake table that creates a focal point (since it's dark everywhere else). After that, the bride and groom gave a speech there. The spotlight mode on the Comer lights work really well for that.

Consider the days before in such situation, I have to crank up the gain to 3db or 6db on my Canon XH-A1. Now I work in -3db and 0db only. The video is clean and grain free.

I will post some videos later on.

Taky how are you controlling the light?
Since I gather you are able to use a dimmer or remote control with the Comer lights, are you leaving the lights run continuously or do you have to lower the light stand and turn off the lights when not in use?

The ONLY reason I have not used the Comer lights for off camera use is that I am not able to control them remotely. If I could, I would buy 2-3 more lights in a heartbeat and use them with the 2 that I already have.

I currently use 2 off camera lights on 11-13 foot stands, but they are powered by large Bescor battery belts at the base, and I light in a similar manner that you did. 2 lights on the dance floor, or 1 on the cake and 1 on the crowd, speech giver etc. All off camera lighting is remote controlled to power on/off when needed.
The two Comer lights are used on 2 reception cameras.

I would love to remote control the Comer lights as carrying along 40 lbs. of battery is a pain in the butt for shoots.
It's worth it, but still a pain to haul.

Taky Cheung October 26th, 2009 11:31 AM

Michael, I see your point about the remote control. Luckily I am 6'3" with a long arm. It's not a big issue for me. But the important point is, the F970 battery can power the light for about 3 hours. So I just leave them on the whole time. It's enough for most duration of reception. If I have to lower the light to change battery, it'll be just once per night. It's not a big concern.

Taky Cheung October 26th, 2009 11:43 AM

Michael, I'm also thinking, it wouldn't be so bad to have the 40 pound battery on the light stand. In that case you don't have to put any sand bag at the base. Is that right?

John Moon October 26th, 2009 03:41 PM

What kind of throw do you get out of the Comers? We use 1 Arri 650 with barn doors and a steel light stand.

Tom Sessions October 26th, 2009 04:36 PM

I use two of these remote controled units:
The Wireless Wedding Reception Video Light - HOME

You can build them yourself as well for much less.

Michael Liebergot November 2nd, 2009 03:42 PM

Tom I built 2 Reception Lights myself and had Darryl make me a couple of remotes for it.

The problem with using a remote for a light such as the Comers is that they are self powered so the remotes are made to go in between XLR power sources. So the current is turned on/cut off when the remote is operated.

This type of remote won't work with self powers (battery) units, like the Comer1800, Sony HVL-LBP etc.

The units wold have to be setup with remote terminals in the lights themselves, or something like that. I have been trying to see if I could rig up a battery sled that would take Sony NP batteries and run them between the battery sled and the light. Then use the Reception light remotes in between the battery sled and the Comer180 light. I would ahve to find an XLR to D-Tap cable to connect the ReceptionLight remote XLR cable to the Comer180 though.