DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   transfering files through the net.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/239422-transfering-files-through-net.html)

Stephen J. Williams July 21st, 2009 10:19 AM

transfering files through the net....

I just had a client tell me that her Fiancee' cant watch the pre wedding video that I made for them on Vimeo. He's currently living in another state and can only use the computer at work that has a smart-filter. She wants me to email her the video (which is obviously to big).
Has anyone ever used a free reliable transfer site (not an FTP)? I found some random ones but I would hate to end sending a virus when they attend to download my file.

I'm also going to try streaming the video through my site.

any other recommendations? The file size is just over 100mb

Steve

Noel Lising July 21st, 2009 10:25 AM

Hey Stephen, I use Mediafire, it is free and all you need is to sign-up.

Terry Esslinger July 21st, 2009 12:20 PM

You might also look at USendIt YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement

Alec Moreno July 21st, 2009 02:42 PM

I would just upload it to a folder within my website and email them the link so they can download it from there. 100mb isn't too bad for this method.

Alec Moreno
htpp://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com

Ali Jafri July 21st, 2009 04:02 PM

Steve, I've tried them all and personally I believe megaupload.com is the best file hosting site out there. Once uploaded, you'll always have your files available online anywhere, anytime. Plus, it allows you free batch uploads. Do check it out!

Reg Carter October 21st, 2009 01:57 PM

Reg Carter

FTP's are new to me. If I am sending a video file of 2GB or more on megaupload, does the person on the other end need to be a member to download it?
Thanks,
Reg

Ali Jafri October 28th, 2009 10:48 PM

Reg, megaupload only allows files up to 1GB in size. You could break your 2GB file into two using any compression software like WinZip or WinRAR. This way you can upload both parts and have the recipient unpack the two compressed files (using the relevant software) to make them whole again.

The recipient does not have to be a member of megaupload. You will simply send them a link to download the file and they can do it free, after a 45 second countdown of course. Members don't have to wait for the countdown.

Hope this information helps.

Noel Lising October 29th, 2009 10:35 AM

Thought I should comment again, sending files via the net is a pain if it is more than 1.5Gb, I am in the predicament right now. I have a 1.5 hours of footage, client wants AVi files, so I broke it down into 8 minute segements ( around 1.9 Gb each)thinking I can just send it via You send it, it is possible but it will take forever. We went old school, she is sending a courier to pick-up the DVD.

Ali Jafri October 29th, 2009 12:31 PM

Noel, FTP isn't so bad. With a fast connection it would actually be many times faster than courier. Its the file hosting services that are slow and tedious.

Jonathan Bufkin November 1st, 2009 03:05 PM

I have been able to successfully send up to 4 gig files on Skype while I was abroad. This is free but requires the recipient to stay connected to Sype and receiving in order to work.