Would this be unprofessional? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Would this be unprofessional?

I'm almost 90% sure that the DJ from the ceremony (another one was at the reception) stole my H2 that I had sat out to capture the vows as a backup.

Originally he was supposed to mic up the groom and celebrant with a wireless mic. Thats why I approached him with my H2 about plugging into the board. He told me he wasn't going to mic them up as planned.

He asked me tons of questions about it and told me how he would like to have one ""since I'm a DJ"" he said.

He then proceeded to watch me place it a position near the altar. about 15 minutes later I had to move it to another position so it could pick up the audio better. He must have been watching me then. Because when I talked to the DJ at the reception (who doesn't know the guy) he called him and he said that the last place he saw it was leaning against a pillar on the altar (the last place I had put it).

Once the B&G left the ceremony place... the entire bridal party and guests left for pictures just right outside. Leaving only the DJ and the caretaker (a woman in her 40's who was more then helpful) to clean up.

I would like to contact the owner of the DJ company just to warn him about this guy. I might be wrong but I feel like he should know just in case something odd happens again.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Trustee

Any chance that "caretaker" found it and put it in the church's office thinking it was lost and found? Happened to me more than once.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Any chance that "caretaker" found it and put it in the church's office thinking it was lost and found? Happened to me more than once.
No chance... It wasn't at a church but an outside venue.... Either way I talked directly to her and she was more then helpful. She helped me look for it everywhere. She contacted security for me and everything. She said that the only two people left cleaning up was her and the DJ.
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Trustee

Hire a hit man and you will get it back from him in no time...lol

Stelios
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Hire a hit man and you will get it back from him in no time...lol

Stelios
you sound like my italian wife... She told me I should have hit him in the face. But i knew that would be unprofessional of me :-) Plus I never saw him again.
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I wouldn't think it unprofessional at all... perhaps the DJ will have "accidently" picked it up once the issue is pressed...

I've had gear (nothing as big or expensive ans an H2) inadvertently get mixed up (it's crazy at weddings), and it's only reasonable to try to get it returned, whether someone else grabbed your stuff or you accidently grabbed theirs.

Either way, a call to the owner of the DJ service can be made professionally, without being accusing or negative, alert him to the situation, see if he would mind checking around to see if an H2 magically appeared anywhere it wasn't previously. if it was accidental, you've got your H2, if it turns out he's got a thief on staff, he should be aware, as he's liable for the guy's actions while out on the job.

Approach it in a calm thoughtful professional way, and you come out good either way, even if your H2 doesn't come back home.

Just for future reference, this is good reason to keep "eyes on" all your gear at all times (or even have an "assistant" to do nothing but that!), and collect up IMMEDIATELY.

I see instances all the time on the news where someone sets a camera bag down, and some "party crashing thief" runs off with the gear AND the "memories". I believe that there are actually thieves who "work" these sorts of "open" venues in search of high end camera gear. Youv'e got a crowd, a large venue, and a lot of expensive stuff (guest purses, gifts, and vendor gear) all "sitting about". It's sad that there are people who would prey on that, but there are.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Dave,

Great advice. I plan on doing just that first thing tomorrow morning. I was saying the entire day that I learn something new every wedding. This was the most painful lesson so far.

I checked out the DJ company's website and it doesn't look like this guy is on their official payroll. He was also covering for the guy who was working the reception (I think last minute).

The other DJ did get his number and gave him a call. At that time he didn't "accidently" pick up anything.

There would have been a lot of better things to steal. I left my entire case there. Also my manfrotto tripod with a 150 plate on top. Overall the cost of that is around 400$.

The fact is that only my audio gear was targeted and there was only one person with knowledge of what it was... Puts almost 0 doubt in my mind of the culprit.

Steve
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Major Player

Although its a bit late now (at least for the H2), my advice is to get an engraving pen, or 'invisible ink' security marker (which shows up with UV light) and write your license number (or phone number) on the inside of the battery case. I also recommend applying a sticker to the exterior with your name and phone#. It won't keep your gear from getting stolen, but if it does make it into the hands of someone with a conscience, you might be able to recover the gear. Even if you show up to the DJ's office, and he's got an identical H2 on his desk, would you know for a fact that it is yours?

I have my expensive gear marked and although I can't always keep an eye on it, If it's near the DJ, I'll grab his business card (just in case). Most of the people I work with are very professional and wouldn't consider grabbing from a fellow vendor. But everyone else is a potential suspect.

Last weekend, I had teenage guests eyeing my gear and I was ultra paranoid. I kept an eye on them as much as possible. Best of luck recovering your gear.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Most of these devices have a slot to install a lock, like the ones you can find on laptops. You just need to put the steel cable around any think that is heavy or fixed into wall or ground. No chance the device would then disappear by "mistake".
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques