DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   weddings low light and GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/25552-weddings-low-light-gl2.html)

Richard Tamayo May 4th, 2004 07:38 PM

weddings low light and GL2

I want to buy another camcorder to shoot weddings along with my GL2. I have read that videograghers say to try to use a equal
quality cam. I have also heard the sony maybe better for low light
situations. I would like to stay around the $2000 range if possiable.
What cams do you GL2 users use as a 2nd cam for weddings?

What other advice would you give for compesating for low light situations at weddings for cam usage?

The specs for GL2 state it is 6 lux. The Sony VX2000 is a 2 lux. The
Sony DCR-TRV 950 is 7 lux. Would you recommend a Sony?
All advice welcome.

Miguel Lombana May 4th, 2004 08:43 PM

Check the prices on the GL, they've come down in the last few months so you may be at your price point for another one. Also remember it's much easier to match up 2 of the same cameras in post.

I shot a wedding once and my 2nd cam was a JVC that I had to borrow while my sony was in the shop, they did not look at all the same and I had a bear of a time in post fixing this.

Now that I have 2 GL2's my life is much easier since I have the exact same settings running in both units at all times.

For lower light at weddings and receptions, go manual and shutter down to 1/30th, you should have more than enough.

Just something to consider.

Graham Bernard May 4th, 2004 11:00 PM

"go manual and shutter down to 1/30th, you should have more than enough." - Hiyah Miguel, I guess you are NTSC [ PAL here - usual setting is 1/50 ] ? That would be a shutter setting of 60, and that is why you are saying to "lock-off" in manual at 30 - yeah? Don't you get a lot of "juddering" in the final film from the reduced frame rate? Also, are you saying to lock off at 30 then you can "up" the exposure? Or is the Exposure then also "locked" at whatever setting you have?

TIA - Grazie

Alan McCormick May 4th, 2004 11:21 PM

Confirmed Grazie, been there, got the T shirt!

Never go to 1/30th (NTSC) or 1/25th (PAL) unless you want a strobing/shudder effect. I inadvertantly set 1/25th when I first started and ruined a whole nights shoot, luckily it was not a paid shoot but "good experience".

Graham Bernard May 4th, 2004 11:36 PM

Hiyah Al! Up early - eh?

Yes, I keep hearing this from NTSC and think that the difference for 1/30 and us, 1/25, is "just" enough to STOP the look of juddering . . think about it . . I don't know, so I can't confirm or deny this . . I do know that 1/25 is JUST not good enough .. then maybe 1/30 [NTSC] is "acceptable - yeah? If this is the case then a lot of what we discuss has a further "complex" issue-base - yeah?

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a "variable" frame rate adjustment - hahahaha . . then we would most likely get into "other" issues . .BUT, perhaps this is THE advantage of the 1/60 native rate of NTSC . . don't know . .

I'm still teasing out the "value" of Manual for event shooting .. still "seeing" the advantages . . but also recognising the value of Auto too - honest!

Grazie

Richard Tamayo May 5th, 2004 12:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. So do any of you use a light on your camera
or do you suggest using one for a low light situation. Will adjusting the shutter take care of it alone? As far as getting another GL2 cam where should I look and stay close to my buget.
Is there any alternative suggested for cam that would work well?
thanks

Graham Bernard May 5th, 2004 12:41 AM

Honestly? I've given up and bought an On-Camera PAG light system. 20 watts of certainty. It's got barn doors and light diffuser AND daylight filter . .can't ask for more! All for £180=180 quid . . .oh they throw in a battery too PLUS a charger . . Lighting IS everything . .

Shed enough light on this? . . .

Grazie

Bill Hardy May 5th, 2004 05:49 AM

I would buy a twin GL2, prices being lower than $2000 these days. Be sure to check resellerratings.com for reputable internet dealers before you buy if internet is your way to go.

Bob Harotunian May 5th, 2004 04:03 PM

We use 2 GL2s for weddings. I don't like the look of any speed less than 1/60 and I keep it there all night. Having matching cameras gives you a visual continuity with no post production problems. Having matching cameras was a must for me and the GL2s price made it much easier to afford.

You need a 20W on-board light with diffuser for the GL2. I now use a Frezzi Micro-Fill that is dimmable from 35W and it's just what I need for the darker receptions. I prefer keeping the gain at 6dB, usually end up at 12 but never use 18.
Bob

Miguel Lombana May 5th, 2004 06:09 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Harotunian : We use 2 GL2s for weddings. I don't like the look of any speed less than 1/60 and I keep it there all night. Having matching cameras gives you a visual continuity with no post production problems. Having matching cameras was a must for me and the GL2s price made it much easier to afford.

You need a 20W on-board light with diffuser for the GL2. I now use a Frezzi Micro-Fill that is dimmable from 35W and it's just what I need for the darker receptions. I prefer keeping the gain at 6dB, usually end up at 12 but never use 18.
Bob -->>>

Wow Bob great that you mention your setup and configuration. I am about to do a 2 camera wedding shoot next Tuesday night and was looking for some details on the best practices.

I like you also shoot Freezi as my light on CAM 1 and CAM 2 I use the NGR Varalux Pro. Do you shoot fully manual, do you shoot in AV or TV mode, what works best for you that you don't find that you made a huge mistake. I want to get this right the first time and some help from someone that is running the same config would be very helpful.

Would you mind a private email to me so that I can discuss a few options and questions with you?

I'm at ftlaud_dj@hotmail.com

Thanks,
MIGUEL

Richard Tamayo May 5th, 2004 07:44 PM

Wow,
Bob thanks that was a great help. I don't own a on board light or diffuser. Can you or anyone suggest where to get a frezzi ? Bob, do you use the onboard light much at the ceromony? Thanks
everyone this is all good info. Like miguel said your configuation info is a great help, especially to me , since I am a beginner to weddings. I have been reading alot of post latley about weddings
and am getting very eager to begin. I need more equipment, and
I am working on that now. Thanks ever so much.
richard

Miguel Lombana May 5th, 2004 09:51 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Tamayo : Wow,
Bob thanks that was a great help. I don't own a on board light or diffuser. Can you or anyone suggest where to get a frezzi ? Bob, do you use the onboard light much at the ceromony? Thanks
everyone this is all good info. Like miguel said your configuation info is a great help, especially to me , since I am a beginner to weddings. I have been reading alot of post latley about weddings
and am getting very eager to begin. I need more equipment, and
I am working on that now. Thanks ever so much.
richard -->>>

B&H is where I got both my Frezzi and my NRG, beware that there are several configurations on the Frezzi where you can get different end connectors (cigarette lighter, XLR etc), they also have a kit that comes with a sony style hershey bar battery so make sure that you look at all the options.

Richard Tamayo May 6th, 2004 12:44 AM

Miguel,
Which option should I be looking for? Which set up do you use?What will I need to make this light system setup work? Thanks
richard

Miguel Lombana May 6th, 2004 06:23 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Tamayo : Miguel,
Which option should I be looking for? Which set up do you use?What will I need to make this light system setup work? Thanks
richard -->>>

I chose the Frezzi Micro Fill with Cigarette adapter and for power I picked up 2 power packs from PepBoys (the car parts store in the US) for about 20 dollars each.

The battery packs come with a 120v charger and cigarette lighter charger for on the run, the output about 4.5ah and will run my light for just over an hour and a half as long as I'm not at full power on the light. If you look for these packs they are in a blister pack and they come in a bright red pouch. They show the unit powering cellphones or light electronic stuff in a car but are perfect for this use.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=262657&is=REG is the link for the Frezzi, consider adding an MRFA option which is a diffuser with barn doors and temp kit. Well worth the optional dollars.

Miguel

Bob Harotunian May 6th, 2004 07:41 AM

Hi Richard,
"Bob, do you use the onboard light much at the ceromony? "

W never use lights at the ceremony and I wouldn't do a wedding that required artificial lighting. It's just my opinion that when it comes to weddings, the videographer has an obligation to not interfere with events in any manner. The reception is a different story since many facilities like to keep the lights low.

If you're new to professional wedding video, I would strongly suggest taping at least 2 freebies. There is no substitute for expereince in this business and much is at stake.

Miguel mentioned B&H and I think they are a good vendor with fair prices and a huge inventory.

Good luck,
Bob