Chaotic Wedding Reception at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Chaotic Wedding Reception

The reception last night was choatic....
  • White groom, vietnamese bride, cute couple. But then not everybody from the bride side speaks English.
  • the reception took place in a Chinese restaurant that the room is a "L" shape. The stage in the corner area of the L. The asian side of people can't see the white side of people.
  • The DJ is missing in action most of the night. He doesn't bring a mic (nor the couple requested to have a mic).
  • No MC is hired. Nobody introduced or to annouced the party is starting.
  • The groom's father started to introduce the groom side of the family. The whole time, he didn't look at the asian wing. The bride's relatives were pissed off.
  • The bride's uncle plan to have a short welcome speech and introduce the bride side of the family members. Now he thought that's not necessary. No need to introduce the bride's relatives since they all know each other.
Here I came to the rescue. I told the uncle they should show everybody that vietnamese is a respectful culture. He should be a bigger person to do the right thing. The uncle thanked me for saying so. Then he did his small speech and family member introduction in his broken English, and without a microphone.
  • Nothing was planned. They tried to play some games with the newly wedded.. but over half the people are drunk.
  • Nobody can hear what's going on at the stage. They still bother to have a toasting speech from the maid of honor and the bestman, without microphone.
  • It was getting more choatic as kids are running around jumping next to the wedding cake.
I stepped in to announce the cake cutting, bouquet toss, garter toss.. invite single lady/gentlemen to the dance floor, organized the games, shouted out "ARE YOU GUYS REEADDYYYYYYYYYY...." and kept the party going. I became the MC.

Basically that were 2 parties going on at the same time. But it seems like everybody still had a great time... That's the power of alcohol. I lost my voice. The couple thank me for helping out. No tips =)
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Did the production value of your video suffer since you had to play MC as well, or were you able to still get the shot and control the crowd at the same time? Make sure you post the highlight when you are finished... would love to have a visual of the story.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't know yet at this point if it affects my production since I haven't captured the video yet. I'm sure the video will not be as great as the audio was bad the entire night. But that's really out of my control.
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Major Player

If anything it sounds like you somewhat saved your video by organizing the cake cutting and all the other usual events... Bravo

steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Sounds like you did a great service to the B&G.

I hate it when things don't seem to go right, but then I love it when one little thing does, or I have a part in turning this positively. That is what you did. Congrats.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Trustee

Sounds like the basis problem was that no one in the bride's family did anything to help her with the arrangements. You mentioned the bride's uncle. Did her parents attend? Perhaps they don't live here. In any case it was very kind of you to jump in and save the day.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I think the bride's family did help her with many things. Her mom was there but she doesn't speak any English. I don't mind helping with being the MC as I have done that before for my friend's wedding. But I do have a video taping job to do. And without a microphone it will be very difficult to host any event =)
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Great Job

Great job, that's what we are supposed to do . I do it all the time. You should be proud of your self. We almost always end up as a wedding planner somewhere along the evening, especially since we shoot photo and video AND LOVE IT.
Walt Paluch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques