DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Shooting 60min or 90min straight? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/27903-shooting-60min-90min-straight.html)

Christopher C. Murphy June 22nd, 2004 10:12 AM

Shooting 60min or 90min straight?

Hi all,

I am going to be shooting a Wedding in a few weeks. I am wondering who here has shot 60 minutes straight or used the LP mode and did 90 minutes? If so, how was your audio video sync after capturing your footage?

I'm doing this Wedding as a freebie, so I am not really scared of the outcome. But, I obviously want it to work! Any information would be helpful in regards to this HD10u performance in this type of gig.

Note: I've shot 5 minutes at a time maximum with the camera so far and it's been good. But, I haven't see what a longer shot will do.

Murph

Bill Piedra June 22nd, 2004 10:45 AM

I shot an interview strait for 60 minutes (one tape). During the interview I made some lighting changes and I noticed that the camera takes a few seconds to adjust to these. I didn't touch the camera during the entire interview - I had another SD camera handheld during the interview and just setup the HD10 on a tripod.

I did notice that this camera gets a little hot if you leave it running for 60 mins strait. I was using the camera on it's power adapter.

Heath McKnight June 22nd, 2004 09:49 PM

My friends say to do the ceremony on a new tape, so if you have a tape in for the beginning stuff, like shots of the bride, pop it out for the party and put in a fresh tape that says Ceremony.

hwm

Edward Troxel June 23rd, 2004 07:05 AM

Re: Shooting 60min or 90min straight?

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : I am going to be shooting a Wedding in a few weeks. I am wondering who here has shot 60 minutes straight or used the LP mode and did 90 minutes? If so, how was your audio video sync after capturing your footage?

Murph -->>>

I have done around 80 minutes on an 83 minute tape is SP. No problems with Sync after capturing into Vegas with it captured as one file. I would avoid LP if possible. If you need more than 60 minutes, use an 83 minute tape instead.

Ed Smith June 23rd, 2004 09:22 AM

I'm with Edward on this one. LP has the potential to give more dropouts than SP, since its running at a higher speed? 83 minute tapes are good, I’ve used a few Panasonic ones and have never had a problem with them in my XL1.

Jimmy McKenzie July 26th, 2004 04:50 PM

Do exactly as Heath has indicated. And shoot in SP.
Your cutaways and establishing shots will only be about 6 minutes at the church but tuck these at the start of tape 2 which will be used at the park shoot and then on to the reception. So what if you have to switch to tape 3 in the middle of uncle Marvin's recollection of how much fun he used to have with the bride's parents 18 years ago when he could pound back 16 beers around the campfire ... blah blah blah ...

The official at the ceremony will always say the service will be about 40 minutes, but you have to add the immediate processional, fun stuff outside, etc., all on the ceremony tape if you are running around with your locked down camera after the actual service. Better to have a tape change during the triumphant days of Marvin and his 15 minutes of fame at the podium during the speeches.

Not a cynical outlook on the guests who sometimes steal the spotlight, but crumpled peices of paper containing condensed speech material in pockets of extroverts can often cloud their better judgement.