DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Music licensing / what music u use? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/29971-music-licensing-what-music-u-use.html)

Brian Thompson August 2nd, 2004 03:41 PM

Music licensing / what music u use?

Newbie, during researching, see alot of service providers offering choice of music... does this mean we all just put whatever they want and forget about licensing.... i've seen many packages here in the forums just like this.... nothing to worry about right?

In addition, if you do do the above... how often do you actually use canned music/what canned do you recommend?

Thank you!

Edward Troxel August 2nd, 2004 09:00 PM

I use royalty free music for my projects.

Chris Wright August 7th, 2004 12:08 PM

I've been told by a professional in the wedding video business that since the wedding videos are not widely distributed, and only for home viewing of the couple and their families, that if you buy the CD that contains the song you want to use, and then give the CD to the bride and groom, you will have nothing to worry about.

Does anyone here agree with this?

Edward Troxel August 7th, 2004 01:23 PM

Many people use that for justification. Doesn't change the fact that it's still illegal.

Here's a quote by someone on another mail list to someone with a similar question (customer providing the CD):

Let me give you the low-down on this from an insider's perspective. As a former employee of a major recording label, and as a retired working musician who has as of 5 years ago moved into the videography business.... Lisha, what you are doing is illegal, and if the powers that be so choose, they will fry your ass. You are creating videos for profit using copyright protected music.... Period. The chances of them knocking on your door is slim, but it can happen. It does not matter if the customer provided it to you or not. The RIAA sees it just the same as ripping a CD and putting it out there for downloading in MP3 format. The RIAA does surf the web, and has come across many a videographer using copyright protected music, and HAS slapped them with fines. Everybody on this list has at one time, or still does do it, but it doesn't make it legal. It's kind of like knowing that you really shouldn't have the extra syrup on your pancakes, but boy it sure does make it taste better. There is no "Grey Line", it is definately a black one drawn clear as bell for all to see. You can rationalize it all you want, but let's all not forget that this is the same group of people who took a 14 year old to court because she shared Christina Aguilera MP3s on a peer to peer network. By the way, if you are taken to court, you will lose. Make no mistake about it, there will be no "well they asked me to do it." excuse. The judge will consider you as a professional who should know the legal boundries of your respective trade, but chose to ignore the rules.

T Fain

Patrick King August 7th, 2004 05:33 PM

I would imagine the number of zeros on the check to pay that fine would be four or five decimal places to the left of the original profit on the video with the stolen song.

"Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine!"

Or for habitual offenders

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!"

Peter Jefferson August 8th, 2004 06:23 AM

easy solution is to pay for a license.. simple no brainer...

Chris Thomas August 10th, 2004 12:44 PM

So during the couples first dance, am I to dub over the audio with my hums and whistles, or just not record it? What if I can read the label on the beer can Uncle Bob is drinking, I should have permission for that too, but I doubt Coors is going to come after me for that either.

There must be some room to give, and it was my assumption that people use the 'music provided by bride and groom' line to remove or at least limit the legal issue of selling or profiting from copyright material. All I sold was my time and expertise, the music was theirs to begin with. I can understand not using copyright protected music for promotional purposes or demo reels, but in the video, I think the 'home use only' license that we all utilize when we listened to the CD in the first place still applies, NO?. I am no lawyer, but shouldnt the same 'Fair Use' law that allows me to burn MP3's of any CD I own for playback on my computer, even record television programs with my VCR, cover the couple simply providing their 'licensed' music for playback on their television speakers. If they don't own it and provide it, then I understand you are breaking laws putting it in your video, if they bought the CD, they have every right to hear the songs on it. I guess my other option is to remove the audio from the video, and tell them when to press play on the CD when they are watching it back. Who knows, you need a law degree just to understand it!

Edward Troxel August 10th, 2004 02:46 PM

I use ambient sound. I'm taping the dance, I don't care what is going on in the background. I do NOT tap into the DJ's soundboard or overdub with an original CD of the music. I get all the people talking in the background etc...

Lloyd Coleman August 10th, 2004 04:26 PM

Peter Jefferson wrote

"easy solution is to pay for a license.. simple no brainer..."

I would love to do this, but found it very hard and expensive to do. Is it really an 'easy solution' as Peter says, and if so, how do you do it.

Edward Troxel August 10th, 2004 06:25 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Lloyd Coleman : Is it really an 'easy solution' as Peter says, and if so, how do you do it. -->>>

It is where Peter lives :-)

Peter Jefferson August 11th, 2004 07:15 AM

yeah sorry guys.. here in oz, we can pay 150 bux for an event license which allows us 5 copies for private use..

its not bad, but for demo send outs it can suck as we can only distribute 5 at a time for viewing. crushes our chance at a mass mail out too.. :(

for more than 5 were lookin in the thousands, but this 150.. is charged back to teh bride and groom if they choose to use commercial music

Chris Thomas August 12th, 2004 01:28 PM

Does anyone out there have ideas about good royalty free music to use?

Edward Troxel August 12th, 2004 01:39 PM

Just do a search on Google for "Royalty Free Music" - might want to try on e-bay too.

I have the Music Mania and a few other CDs from Elite Video. I know there IS some good stuff out there. I think maybe "piano boys" or something like that. Many have samples online.

Chris Thomas August 12th, 2004 01:42 PM

Tried that, but so much junk is returned, I am hoping to get some advice from others who have made purchases that they are happy with. I have checked out a few samples, and don\'t really find any of it appealing.

Rob Easler August 12th, 2004 03:13 PM

freeplaymusic.com