DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   That "Dreamy" Look (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/30212-dreamy-look.html)

Chris Wright August 7th, 2004 12:15 PM

That "Dreamy" Look

I'm shooting another wedding today, but with this one I will be editing a short highlights video in addition to the full length ceremony. I have seen samples of this sort of highlights video with that really cool "dreamy" look and thats what I'd like to achieve. I have already messed around with duplicating the layer, and setting a 50% opacity and gaussian blur to the top layer to soften the image, and slowing the video to around 85-90%, and while I like that look, I want to take it a step further.

Its hard to describe (and sorry, I don't have a link), but what I have seen is video that has a sort of glow to it, making the bride and groom really stand out. Sorry if thats too little detail... im not sure how else to explain it.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and knows how to achieve this look, please let me know.

I'll be doing this in Final Cut Pro 4

Thanks!

<side note> I've shot some test footage using my GL2's 16:9 in-camera mode, and I think it looks fine. has anyone else out there shot entire weddings in widescreen with a GL2?

Glen Elliott August 7th, 2004 02:23 PM

A very common way to achieve this (other than the soft focus effect you mentioned) is to add a "glow" filter. I'm not sure what it's called in FCP but I do know that it has it. The glow filter will allow the highlights to have diffusion. (ie lights, the bride's dress, and so on) the objects or areas with a higher luminance will take on a glowing diffussion effect.

These two are examples:

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Laz...ree%20Tops.jpg

http://www.msprotege.com/members/Laz.../V5%20Road.jpg

Billy Dalrymple August 8th, 2004 09:39 PM

Wha is the glow equivilet in Adobe Premiere? Would you use Channel Blur?

Chris Wright August 8th, 2004 09:45 PM

im having a hard time finding this glow filter in final cut pro also. i've looked around but cant find any filter that provides this sort of look.

can anyone tell me where the filter is and what the best settings are to use?

thanks

Glen Elliott August 8th, 2004 10:41 PM

Premiere I'm not sure- I haven't used it heavily since 6.5, and I haven't used Pro extensively- I use Vegas 5.

Regarding FCP you might want to ask the guys on the Mac Editing forum. Probably get an answer within minutes.

Carl Walters August 9th, 2004 07:00 AM

"Wha is the glow equivilet in Adobe Premiere? Would you use Channel Blur?"

The effect I use is very similar in PPro, simply create the copy track, add the gaussian blur approx 38, 50% opacity and add the alpha glow filter found in the "stylize" folder of video effects. Mess around with the levels to create the look you are after. It can also look good applying a B&w filter.

Norman Woo August 9th, 2004 10:45 AM

If you are using Adobe Premiere with the Matrox real-time card, there is a real-time effect called Soft Focus which I use to get that glowy dreamy effect. I'm using Premiere 6.5 with the Matrox RT2500 card. I'm currently saving up for the RT.X100 but with the introduction of the XL2, things have changed ...

Stephen Schleicher August 9th, 2004 11:19 AM

In final cut pro, you can duplicate the track and on the upper track apply a gaussian blur (20 pixels) and then use a transfer mode for a different soft look.

Cheers

Glen Elliott August 9th, 2004 02:48 PM

They aren't looking for a soft-focus- they are looking for a glow (ie white diffusion).

Billy Dalrymple August 9th, 2004 04:06 PM

Carl,

Just tried your suggestion and copied the clip, added Gaussian blur with ~50% opacity and that alone makes a world of difference in my clip. With the added alpha glow really nice look. Thanks.

Tim Borek August 10th, 2004 10:21 AM

Diffused Glow filter

In MediaStudio Pro 7, drag the Diffused Glow filter to the clip and bingo! Done. (Works best on stills and slow-mo clips; a little "trail" is visible when the filter is applied to fast-moving, bright objects.) I've started using the Diffused Glow more recently, and clients say it's beautiful.

Take care, and happy editing.

Chris Wright August 10th, 2004 11:47 AM

I'm still having a hard time finding a filter that does this in Final Cut Pro 4. I downloaded the demos of the Joe's Filters set (www.joesfilters.com), and there is a filter in that set called Joe's Color Glow that is exactly what I want. However, I am on a very limited budget and don't want to spend $100 on the full set of filters when I only need one. I can't find a way to purchase individual filters on his website.

Can anyone tell me if this effect is possible in final cut without these third party filters, or if not, is it possible to purchase this filter individually?