Client can't afford wedding. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 7th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #31
Trustee

Russell wrote " Ive recently had the 'budget' talk with a client, It's quite annoying that video is the last thing to be thought about when it should be right up there with everything else....."

Regular readers will know I completely agree with him. The trouble is we inevitably sound self-serving when we say it. However, I recently I discovered a piece in Ingrid Bergman's biography which I've included on the about page of our website. Wedding Videos Manchester,Cheshire,Staffordshire,North West,Merseyside,Lake District,Yorkshire

It's more persuasive because it's not written by a video producer and also because she was only referring to black and white silent images of her mother - not colour and sound.

I'm debating whether to make more of the quote and if you have an opinion I'd appreciate it.

What we are now pretty well decided on doing is to offer a photographic portrait service producing just the portrait and the formals and leaving all the reportage/informal work to us - work we can do that better for the reasons we all know.

A pal who is actually an eye surgeon is willing to give this a try. Although he's never earned his living at photography he's well equipped with a Leica M8 and umbrella flash etc and his work stands comparison with most of the photographers I know. Fortunately his background means he's not doing this because he needs the money and we've yet to decide how much extra to charge - my instinct is about £3-400 (say $450-600) including 6-10 10x8 prints. The trick is to limit the after-sales activity so we'll probably have to open up a separate part of the website.

Your views would be appreciated.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #32
Trustee

Philip, That is a very powerful quote on your web site. It is persuasive because it communicates the emotions and feelings associated with the sentimental value of video. Something as meaningful as life memory videos can't be expressed in only objective terms. When people can identify with feelings as well, they are more likely to understand their value and want it for their self.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #33
Trustee

Thanks Jim. For my money getting this point across is for all of us wedding video producers is close to being the Holy Grail, because it sets us apart and leaves the potential purchaser with no option but to put us higher up the purchase list. I hope my potential clientrs find it as persuasive as you.
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #34
Major Player

Just wanted to touch base with an update. My two latest leads have both asked about price discounts. I was able to point them towards a "less for less" package and both have booked dates. Both B&Gs opted for a 2-cam package, instead of 3. Obviously I'll keep my 3rd camera rolling as a back up. I'm grateful for the advise from everyone and am glad to say that I can still hold my head high, since I have not de-valued my product. Thank you.
Michael Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #35
Trustee

I'm glad you're happy Michael, but don't kid yourself that you've not compromised your position. If you have the third camera in action and don't charge for it you've compromised, however you try and rationalise it.

You've certainly not devalued your product, but you have discounted it.

Obviously you can't go back on your deals but I'd recommend you find ways to increase the value of your product at no or minimal cost eg increase the number of DVDs included in the price; if your clients like the idea, do a family growing up slide show - both things that cost little or nothing to do, but keep your prices up rather than discount in any way.

Remember that any recommendations your satisfied clients give you will expect the same deals.
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #36
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
Regular readers will know I completely agree with him. The trouble is we inevitably sound self-serving when we say it. However, I recently I discovered a piece in Ingrid Bergman's biography which I've included on the about page of our website. Wedding Videos Manchester,Cheshire,Staffordshire,North West,Merseyside,Lake District,Yorkshire
Philip, you included it in your blog as well. However, in the blog the text is duplicated. You finish reading the Ingrid story and then it starts again!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #37
Trustee

Edward, how kind of you to tell me. You might have said it's good but not that good! Thank you. The blog has been amended. My thanks to you.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques