Bat Mizvah at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 19th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bat Mizvah

I have been asked to do a bat mizvah. I have never done one before and don't know how I should price it. It will only consist of the party afterwards as the temple will not allow any cameras during the ceremony. I told the cleint I haven't done one before but she is fine with that. I normally charge $1200 for a average wedding if that helps set the prices in my market.

Thanks
Scott
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well since no one else is answering, I'll try. Since you're only doing 1/2 the job, I would start at 1/2 your rate for a wedding.
Certainly no more. Mitzvah parties are kinda like a birthday party but usually a bit more lavish. Lot's of kids running around, parents dancing to a DJ, making the kids dance with them and no one behaving. ;-)

Actually it may not be that bad but it generally is a fairly short work day perhaps 4 hours. At least the ones that I've done are like that. I guess if you're going to be there 4 hours, editing to a finished product I guess 1/2 the wedding rate is the place to start. You can always reduce the rate a bit if necessary.

Wish I could be more help good luck and watch out for all the 13 and 14 year olds running around you :-)

Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'd say more like 2/3 the price of a wedding, since the mitzvah reception will last at least as long as a wedding one would and involve almost constant activity which requires you to tape nearly non-stop for 3-4 hours. Since this is your first mitzvah you could knock the price down a little to make up for your lack of experience, but I wouldn't go below $600 if you value your time much. Be prepared for a lot of fast-paced events with kids running around in every direction, plus they may have a lengthy candle-lighting ceremony which you should try to capture in its entirety.

I just taped a mitzvah ceremony and reception earlier this month and ended up with something like 11 tapes' worth of footage from a total of three cameras. This was a bit more than I usually do, but I wanted to go overboard on this one because it's a repeat customer and I'd like to make a demo based on this project. Mitzvah videos can be every bit as much work as weddings and then some, but the pressure is a little less intense and the reception tends to be more fun. I talked to the photographer at this event and she said she doesn't charge quite as much for mitzvahs as weddings, so there's another piece of info to go by.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys...I am going to go with $600. I don't have time for much research the mitzvah is next month so I think se is looking for a quick answer.....

As for the camera work Do you really need more that one camera at the event. For my weddings I usually use another videographer who tapes with me to get total coverage. Perhaps would it be wise to bring someone else with me on this event. If its not nesecary I would like to avoid it as its an additional cost.

Thanks
Scott
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Scott: I'd recommend bringing a second camera, but you could just set it on a tripod and let it run. Have one camera pointed at the dance floor at all times and you can man the other camera to follow the action around the room.

At one point at my last mitzvah I had two cameras on tripods going plus a third hand-held one, and I'll probably use the footage from all three cameras for that segment. They were playing a game where two teams run back and forth building pyramids out of styrofoam cups, and I'd seen this before so I knew it would be a challenge to get all the action.

For a mitzvah ceremony 1-2 cameras is plenty.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:38 AM   #6
Major Player

The advice above is very logical. Perhaps you could find a recent dvd from one of your peers who has done this before so you at least have a sense of the blocking. 2 cameras for all special event always.

As for your wedding prices, try to increase this. You might be leaving a bit on the table. Assuming you have a complete package that includes friday night events and 2 cams on the Saturday...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I wish I could raise my prices....But the market is flooded with guys that are doing amaetur quailty stuff for $500 a wedding. I know the quailty of my product is better than there's but unfortunately it seems like most people are looking to save a buck these days.

Probably for the better wedding are so time consuming. I can't help but pour my heart and soul into every one I do. Regardless of the package price. It gives me more time to take on the stuff I really want to do.

Also I always bring atleast 3 cameras to every shoot I do. I have found that backups do come in handy. I was just concerned I might need an assistant.

I will look at some projects some of my peers have done. But also if anyone has any links to some of the Mitzvah demos I would love to take a look at the them .....Insperations always helps

Thanks,
Scott

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques