DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Help Scene Files + Settings for HMC150 (first shoot) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/350029-help-scene-files-settings-hmc150-first-shoot.html)

Steve Berg September 1st, 2009 09:48 PM

Help Scene Files + Settings for HMC150 (first shoot)

Hi All,

I have my first wedding shoot (non-paid for a friend) and 'm looking for some general down and dirty scene file and camera settings that will get me through the day. These are very good friends and I don't want to mess it up and want to provide crisp images I know the HMC150 can produce. I am going to need some outdoor settings suggestions for daytime, Church settings and some nighttime settings for indoors at for the hall with some windows that will let in light durning dusk. Some general indoor settings for bridal shop/ bridal prep and house etc would be great also. I'm knee deep in terminology and learning on the fly so till I ramp up I was looking for a little help. Someone please help me through this world of GAMMAs, Knees and other stuff? Also suggestions for best shutter in these environments would be welcomed. I'm thinking I will shoot in 720P @ 60P because 1080/60i seems to be hard to work with in FCP. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Mark Von Lanken September 2nd, 2009 09:55 PM

Hi Steve,

Considering the picture you have painted, I would keep it simple.

Shoot in Scene File 5 when there is plenty of light. If you are in low light, shoot in Scene File 1. Keep your shutter at 60, unless is is really dark and little motion, then you can go to 30. I limit my gain to 9dB, but some shooters will go as high as 12dB. I prefer a cleaner image and then boost it in post. I use the 720/60p for a majority of my shooting.

When you have time to go deeper, get Barry's book, but for this weekend, keep it simple.

One last thought...Use the expanded focus as much as possible. HD looks great when it's in focus, but when it's soft, the whole world knows it. You can't cheat focus in HD like you could in SD.

Steve Berg September 3rd, 2009 07:42 AM

Thanks again Mark! Just one last thing. Would you recomend using the DRS in either or both settings? If so how much should I push it in each setting. Also are you talking about Barry Green's book?

Cheers,

Steve

Mark Von Lanken September 3rd, 2009 10:00 AM

Hi Steve,

You are welcome.

I have not done indepth testing with DRS. Just basic comparisons that were in the Event-DV article. Barry's book, yes Barry Green, may have much better information on DRS, but until you get the book, think of DRS like gain. Use as little as possible, and I would avoid level three on DRS.

If you have a high contrast composition, like a bright sky and the subject is in a shaded area, use DRS 1 or 2. DRS 2 starts to add some noise in the dark areas, and you really can't see how much on the LCD. I recommend to do some testing with the three levels of DRS before the wedding day so you will have a better idea of the results you will get.

Steve Berg September 3rd, 2009 06:32 PM

Thanks Mark! I will let you know how I did.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Berg September 8th, 2009 09:31 AM

Mark,

The Scene Files worked out well. Thanks again!