Saturday's Wedding Day Edit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 25th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #16
Inner Circle

interesting concept, i do it in a different manner though.

we use a dedicated editor for this. obviously we charge accordingly (ie, an extra 1500 to 2000 AUD )

here show its done without skipping a beat and with no stress.

I have an editor.
I shoot for an hour or so.
He takes the tape and captures onto a lacie drive and uses a laptop.
As one tape captures, im still filming the second and so on and so forth. Obviously were not capturing everything for this particular "service" but the footage DOES have to be reviewed.

Usually im a Vegas and PPro head for my main work, but for this, we run Liquid 6 (ONLY for its ability to run background renders) i dont particularly like P6, as it tried to be more than it is. I also hate its stupidly high menu count to get a task done which i can do with 2 clicks in Vegas.
Anywyas, by using P6 on a laptop, we dont have to carry a barebones system, monitor, keybaord etc etc for the type of effects and overlays we need.
Its all done in SW.
During the ceremony, hes editing the gettin ready. hes got about half an hour to make a nice 5 to 10 minute cut.
During the photoshoot, hes editing the ceremony (another 5 to 10 mins)
if we have time, wed also include their entrance to the reception.

output to tape, connect DSR11 to Pana AE500 HD Projector and voila

Now one thing abotu all this is that I HATE IT. I hate the idea of having this much pressure on my crew when we dont have to. but its a living and we have to make ends meet.
I dont like the fact that people feel that what they saw wil be their finished product and i dont like the idea of playing something which should be kept a surprise. With the hype, people are already into it, theres no need to bore them with images theyve already seen only afew hours ago.
But this is what some people want.
And as a business, we provide that. I dont have to like it, but its there....

another thing is that it sets a precedent for delivery expectation. I may be able to pull this off in a day, however i may have 5 or 6 weddings backlogged before i even get to this. It puts an unnecessary expectation of delivery into their heads and its really quite damaging.......

by the end of it, weve had one guy build a 15 minute presentation which looks like a finished product
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:14 PM   #17
Inner Circle

What did you use to put together the video. I understand it's a windows media file, but what did you use for compression and such? I also noticed your name was down there, which leads me to believe that you used a special piece of software.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:33 AM   #18
Wrangler

Stephen, Mark edits and encodes with Canopus Edius.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:13 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks for the reply. I was telling my wife about the video that he posted. It looks really nice. I tried to convince her to let me get some extra wives so we could do four camera angles, but she declined.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:34 PM   #20
Wrangler

Just convert to Mormon'ism..lol. Seriously though I've seen videographers work solo and work with 4 cameras. Joel Peregrine is an example- he shoots with 4 VX2ks and occasoinally walks up to each cam checking for it's composition. Not something I'd like to do- I'll always work wtih at least 1 assistant. They can be very helpfull in a jam...especially to offer coverage of the recieving line as I break down my other cameras and gear. I once took the time to film it myself and by the time I finished up and went to start breaking my gear down they were on their way to the recpetion! Mistake I'll never make again.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:31 AM   #21
Major Player

Glen
Thanks for helping out. We had a tight deadline yesterday so I didn't have time to post anything. It's good to know you've got me covered.

Steven
Glen was right on the editing and encoding. About my name being down there, if you are referring to my company logo watermark in the lower right corner, it's done in my CG program and not with any special encoding software.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions
www.TulsaWeddingVideos.com
Mark Von Lanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #22
New Boot

mark, you have an eye for capturing the moment. i dont know those people, but i bet they both cried when they saw that...

good job buddy.
John Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Excellent job Mark!

I have a WDE coming up in Feb also! I can't wait and dread it all at the same time. But the last one has led to 4 referrals, and I thank you and Joel and all the others who made me believe it could be done.

Mark don't you just love it when you get a full processional? Having the processional cross and everything just gives the whole thing that little extra!

That was an absolutely great piece! The confetti coming down! Oh man!

Congratulations to you and Trisha on another job well done.
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #24
Major Player

Hi Ceasar

Thanks for your kind words.

You are right, WDE's are a really great marketing tool!

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions
Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:26 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Mark....

Thank you for sharing this WDE clip. As usual, it was truly amazing! Since purchasing your training DVD's, I have taken my shooting abilities to a higher level.

Your work it inspirational.

Linda Walker
LWProductions
Green Bay, WI
Linda Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:18 PM   #26
Major Player

Linda

I'm so glad the instructional DVDs have been helpful to you. We are really excited about our soon to be released instructional DVD on hand held shooting techninques.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions
Old February 4th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #27
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Von Lanken : Linda

I'm so glad the instructional DVDs have been helpful to you. We are really excited about our soon to be released instructional DVD on hand held shooting techninques.

You're welcome. I look forward to seeing your new instructional DVD on hand held shooting techniques!

Linda
LWProductionsLLC
Linda Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques