Saturday's Wedding Day Edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Saturday's Wedding Day Edit

Here's a link to our latest WDE.
http://www.tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/eganwde.wmv

On Thursday we decided to try to pull it off as a surprise to the B&G. We were already doing the projection for the Photo Montage. In addition to that we had already hired a 3rd shooter to cover the reception for an additional project we are working on.

It was at a very nice reception venue and we felt there would be a lot of good potential clients in the audience.

Here's the details behind the edit. The church didn't allow cameras at the front so there are no nice closeups. Sorry. Cameras: Sony PD-150, DSR-250. Toshiba laptop with Edius. We ran it off to a VX2000 in Real Time and used the 2000 for playback.

I captured to my nNovia Quick Capture Drive. Trisha was in the balcony and captured straight to the laptop's hard drive. When the ceremony was over I transferred my selected clips to the laptop as we broke down our equipment.

On the way to the reception sight, about 5 blocks away, Trisha captured a few prep shots. The B&G arrived about 20 minutes after us and went straight to their 1st Dance.

An hour and ten minues after the 1st Dance we projected the Photo Montage and WDE. Before the presentation started I told the Bride we had a special surprise for her.

I had my camera on her as the WDE started. She was shocked and amazed. She couldn't beleive what she was seeing.

This isn't our best WDE but it is our fastest. We usually have 2-4 hours. Time will tell if our investment pays off in referrals.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions
www.TulsaWeddingVideos.com
Mark Von Lanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Ok, anyone seen spaceballs? We're getting to that point here. Next thing you know you'll be showing the b&g their wedding before it happens!

Well, it really looked nice and the techinical ability to do that is fabulous, but I have to wonder why you do it? You're catering to and promoting a society of instant gratification. Everyone wants everything right here, right now and you're giving it to them. We need to slow down and learn patience, remember what that is? Let people live the moment instead of watching it back right after it happens.

I'll end this rant now but I have strong feeling about making everything happen on demand. I feel that the best memories aren't in a video, but in our minds.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 03:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Ben

Why do it? It's a great oppourtunity to show hundreds of people the value of wedding videography. Most people know they want good pictures, but not nearly as many see a need for good video.

I have to respectfully disagree about the best memories not being on video but in your mind. The bride couldn't see what she looked like as she walked down the aisle with her Mom at her side. She couldn't see how beautiful it looked from the balcony as the confetti came falling down on her, but when she sees those shots she does relive the feelings and memories. A good video enhances those memories to make them even better.

All My Best,
Old November 22nd, 2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Major Player

I understand the value of a well produced, professional video, I just have personal feelings that just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should be done. I'm sure the brides love it to no end and all but I still can't believe that hours after the ceremony they are watching video of an event that is still taking place.

I guess that it would be like a coach going in at halftime and showing his team the highlights from the first half and all the players talking about their performance and how they did and yet they still have a half to go.

Again, it's just a personal feeling on that type of production. I choose to not produce a video in that manner. I'm sure that it leads to a large number of additional productions for you and it really did look nice, very nice.

Ben
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Using the coach analogy isn't a good one.

Because that is what many coaches do today especially in the NBA. These guys are taping the game, editing the significant plays and having them ready when the coach addresses the team at haltime.

With instant replay, tivo and other technologies there is a percentage of the public who would like to view their best moments right after it happens.

We interview concertgoers during the Seagram's Gin Live tour and when we started recording to hard drive and having the videos uploaded so the interviewees could see them when they returned home or the next day at the office our video views and video forwards increased by 30% then when it took 48 to 72 hours to get the videos uploaded.

Finally, I would like to see how many referrals come from your concept.

Best wishes and a good innovative idea.
Stephen Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Stephen,

I agree that the concept is a great marketing tool, no doubt about it. If it works for you then keep on it. And again, the piece that was put together really looked sharp. It was well shot, well cut, and really a great selection to show.

Now you asked about myself? Well, I get a number of people who express satisfaction with the manner in which the crew handles themselves on the day of the event. People are so used to seeing a videographer who runs around with a camera all over the place. They really appreciate it when I send in a crew and the crew can handle themselves in a truly professional manner. They know right away that the camera operator knows his business, that the sound technician is getting things done. That's what brings in additional clients for me: professional results from start to finish.

Again, it's just a fundamental belief that content producers need to begin to ask themselves how their video's shape society, not just how they can make an extra dollar. I understand that you have to make a living but sometimes we cater to much to the instant demands of the audience.

Ben
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:36 PM   #7
Still Motion

I hear ya Ben, all the way, and totally agree.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:34 AM   #8
Wrangler

Ben I don't understand your objection to it. The WDE is an incredible marketing tool and also a lucrative option to offer clients. Because of the difficulty it is to pull something like this off- you have to charge accordingly for it. And as Mark said- everyone at the reception gets to see your work. I feel the best way to overcome objections to hiring a videographer is to actually SEE a well produced wedding video. Most potential clients STILL don't know what contemporary wedding videography IS. People like Mark are helping the industry- helping shed the myth that wedding videography is a static cameraman shooting from one angle with very little and/or uninspired editing.

I don't know if many people know Mark and his wife but they are one of the tops in the industry and I wouldn't take your eyes off them. Don't be suprised if this Wedding Day Edit becomes more common. It's a trend that seems to be growing rapidly and if you want high end brides and the highest possible profit margin your going to have to stay ahead of the curve.

As for me I'm open and honest in the fact I don't feel my talent is there yet to pull off one of these sucessfully. I would love to offer this option in the future as I continue to grow as a videographer. Thanks for all you do for the industry and thanks for your contribution to DVinfo, regardless of the negative minority it's much appreciated.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ben Lynn : Well, it really looked nice and the techinical ability to do that is fabulous, but I have to wonder why you do it? You're catering to and promoting a society of instant gratification. Everyone wants everything right here, right now and you're giving it to them.>>>>

And where's the problem...? There will always be people who will enjoy Same Day Edits; and pay for them. There will always be accomplished videographers who have the skill to pull off such feats; and enjoy the challenge! And I'm sure the majority of guests will enjoy such productions; especially if they can compare to Mark's masterful work!

It's certainly unfair to hijack his thread and blame him for contributing to what you (Ben) consider one of the ills of society and throwing Spaceballs at him... Maybe you should have started your own thread to have a rant about the concept of Same Day Edits?

Anyhow, in my opinion, Mark and his wife did an amazing job and I can understand why the entire wedding party would have been blown away by this presentation; and what a wonderful surprise for the bride!!!

Mossy
Maurice O Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I thought it was great. But, hey ... I liked spaceballs too.
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:59 PM   #11
Major Player

I owe an apology to Mark. I should have begun a seperate thread on the subject. The video was well produced.

I will put no further posts to this thread.

Ben Lynn
Old November 23rd, 2004, 03:18 PM   #12
Still Motion

Any moral comments aside, I think this would be a great way to challenge your abilities. It is always great to challenge yourself, and with the number of physical limitations involved in a 2-3 hour edit, I think it would be a stressfull yet very exciting way to push your effeciency while trying to maintain quality.

Great marketing tool as well.

Thanks for the ideas.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : <snip>And as Mark said- everyone at the reception gets to see your work. I feel the best way to overcome objections to hiring a videographer is to actually SEE a well produced wedding video. Most potential clients STILL don't know what contemporary wedding videography IS. People like Mark are helping the industry- helping shed the myth that wedding videography is a static cameraman shooting from one angle with very little and/or uninspired editing.

I don't know if many people know Mark and his wife but they are one of the tops in the industry and I wouldn't take your eyes off them. Don't be suprised if this Wedding Day Edit becomes more common. It's a trend that seems to be growing rapidly and if you want high end brides and the highest possible profit margin your going to have to stay ahead of the curve.

As for me I'm open and honest in the fact I don't feel my talent is there yet to pull off one of these sucessfully. I would love to offer this option in the future as I continue to grow as a videographer. Thanks for all you do for the industry and thanks for your contribution to DVinfo, regardless of the negative minority it's much appreciated. -->>>

excellent post Glen.

Mark, thanks for sharing your work. I cannot even imagine the difficulty in pulling something like this off, especially at my experience level. Great work and thanks for the enlightenment.
Bill Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:44 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Exactly

Even those of us in Tulsa that know Mark and Trisha commend the excellence of thier work. What also sets them apart is the fact that they share their ideas and technical know-how with others.
We all know there are those of us in this business that get the ego factor real quick. This is just not true of them.
As far as the wedding day edit, I think the wow factor is a key selling point and they pull it off everytime. I strive to be able to do it one day, but for now I will watch and learn.
Kevin Foristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:53 PM   #15
Major Player

Ben

I don't feel you owe me an apology. You expressed your opinion as I did in return. The exchange remained professional and informative.

To everyone else.
Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments.

We sent the link to the B&G. The couple will be going on their honeymoon in December, so the groom is already back at work. The Bride sent us a very nice email and said even though the Groom didn't cry when it was projected, he admitted to crying when he saw the clip at work.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions
www.TulsaWeddingVideos.com
Mark Von Lanken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques