DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   good second camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/35381-good-second-camera.html)

Jon French November 23rd, 2004 01:19 PM

good second camera

ok I have a vx2100 right now that i use for weddings, i would like a good backup/second camera for the ceremony mainly. I know i should just probably get a pd-170 but I just love the picture the 100a puts out. I also like the idea of a xl1s because its a shoulder cam. i dont really have to worry about it performing bad in low light because i will still have my vx.
this is what i have came up for the good and the bad of each choice
pd-170
pro:
XLR's
picture will cut perfectly with my vx without any problem
all the batteries and accessories i have will work with it

con:
I hate the iris control on the vx, now i know the 170 is a little bit better but i think i will still dislike it.

XL1s
pro:
shoulder mount type camera, that helps tremendously when i dont have it on a tripod. granted i could just get a stabalizer but i have the feeling that it would just be big and bulky and in the way most of the time.
ability to change lens',I am all for that part because i like the idea of having a wide angle lens, not an adapter.

con:
audio still goes through a mini jack
will have to buy a mini mount so the mic wont pick up the lens making noise.

DVX-100a
Pro:
great picture, its one of the main reasons i like it so much.
XLR
the lens is much wider then most cameras, mainly my vx
great image control

Con:
picture might be hard to cut in and out with my vx. the diffrence might be extreamly noticable.

I know there are other things i like and dislike about both cameras, but those are just the main ones i could think of. and please excuse my horrible spelling

Jon

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2004 04:46 AM

A couple of thoughts:

1. the XL1s might have problems cutting together with the vx2100 footage as well

2. the XL1s can do XLR as well, with an attachment (true that it still goes through a mini at the end, but you can use XLR mics)

Why not get a second vx2100 if that works for you?

Jon French November 24th, 2004 09:16 AM

eh i think i wil just go with the pd-170. I need the xlr's and the pd is just a better version of my 2100

Mark Von Lanken November 24th, 2004 09:25 AM

John

I shot with a Sony and Canon for 5 years. A year and a half ago I bought 2 new Sonys and it is so great to have matching cameras. With the exception of Love Stories and Bridal Elegance shoots we always use 2 cameras so matching cameras is very important for us.

If you are dead set on not getting a PD-170 I think the Panny will be easier to match than the Canon.

As Rob said, why not just get a second VX2100? You can add an XLR adapter plate to the bottom of it, but really, by the time you do that, you could bye a PD-170 for just a little more since they are offering a $300 rebate through the end of the year. The 170 also comes with a wide angle lens.

So after saying all of that, if I was in your position, I think the 170 makes the most sense if you plan on keeping your 2100.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions
www.TulsaWeddingVideos.com