DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How much to charge for birthday parties, bridal/baby showers, etc. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/360641-how-much-charge-birthday-parties-bridal-baby-showers-etc.html)

Ferlon Webster September 4th, 2009 03:03 PM

How much to charge for birthday parties, bridal/baby showers, etc.

Hello everyone, I'm not sure how much to charge for these types of events. Do you all charge hourly or give packages for these events? Is there a difference in pricing a child's birthday, sweet sixteen, and an adult's birthday party? I just don't want to make a mistake and price myself too high or too low! Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

Chris Harding September 4th, 2009 04:47 PM

Hi Ferlon

That's always a tough question because most budgets are a lot more limited on say, a kiddies birthday party. I did one solitary 40th birthday last season as I was free that weekend and basically charged the same hourly rate as a wedding. However it was virtually similar to a wedding reception and they even cut the cake!!!

It might be an idea, if you need the business, to make up a very simple package with say, one handheld camera and shoot some stills for them too. Baby showers and kiddies non formal events are almost confined to amateur videographers and you would probably have to charge a lot less and shoot on a far less structured basis!! A wedding is story-boarded for you but something like a party (apart from blowing out candles) is just casual clips so I doubt whether they would want to pay hundreds of dollars for a videographer!!

Does anyone else do "domestic" events?? I'm usually too busy with weddings!!

Chris

Ferlon Webster September 4th, 2009 05:17 PM

Thanks for the response Chris, I guess there is not a lot of money to be made doing these parties. I am too into Wedding Videography and that is where my eyes are truly focused right now, just trying to figure out if money can be made doing these events. But like you said it's more for amateurs on a less structured basis! Thanks again for your response!

Roger Van Duyn September 5th, 2009 11:00 AM

People have casually inquired about me doing these types of events. I haven't followed up on any of these, but if I wanted to do one, I'd just simply and politely ask them if they'd given any thought about what they'd be willing to pay and what they would expect for what they are willing to pay. Then I would simply and politely inform them about how much work it would take me to do what they want. If both of us are then still interested, we'd talk about it some more.

Now if it is a prospective BUSINESS client, asking me about a personal project, that puts everything in a different light. In some cases, working for free can make a lot of sense.

Taky Cheung September 6th, 2009 12:39 AM

I usually charge these events first hour $300, additional hour $100. I have done a few birthday parties, wedding anniversary parties. I'm doing one next week for a 80th birthday party.

Ferlon Webster September 8th, 2009 06:21 PM

Thanks Taky! I appreciate the response!