Who does your Website??? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 29th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Sounds like we need to get together... :-) I actually enjoy building the databases and web forms.
Old January 29th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #47
Air China Pilot

Lamar check your email. I sent you something related to that.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #48
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Template vs Original

Brian,

For me, it's not worth my time to do low-cost sites, so when I'm approached by someone who isn't looking to make a significant investment in their site, I just direct them to a template site such as http://www.templatemonster.com/ and suggest they do it themselves. The templates are dirt cheap, but usually very slick and easy to adapt to your needs (for instance, you can see how an image they used was sliced up and just replace it with your own). They're easy enough to install and manipulate that your neighbor's kid can probably get you up and running, if you don't have the minimum HTML skills. And oddly enough, despite how well made they are and the cheap price, you don't see the same templates all over the place.
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Hey John...will these templates at Templatemonster.com allow streaming video clips?
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #50
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Brian,

They can all be manipulated to allow that, but some would be easier than others. Flash sites will require you to get a Flash developer to help out setting it up. If it's just an HTML template that won't be a problem. You would just use one of the page templates to create a new page for the video(s), and then embed the code.

One option is to simply put a link on the main page for each video, and then have them play in a popup window. That's a pretty common option. Check out this site I've been working on at http://calderwoodpr.temp.powweb.com/...d=20&Itemid=44 (excuse the temporary URL... it's under construction). Each of those videos are MPEG4 progressive downloads at 320x240 and they load FAST! Keep in mind that some people block all popup windows, even friendly ones.

When you say "streaming", do you mean progressive download or actual streaming? Just in case you don't know, streaming content will require you to have streaming software on your own server, or to pay a streaming server host. Usually a bit pricey.
Old July 1st, 2005, 08:09 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Those pesky Flash pop-ups....

I've been in this quandry for awhile now..

I thought about adding flash to the website, but I'm trying to find other ways around trying to replicate the same type of effects through other means (ala javascripts, applets, css, etc..)

I'm annoyed though at how Flash animations have been adopted to become pop-up windows.. Users/customers and potential clients may have flash animations disabled in their web browsers or pop-up blockers - and that's going to be problematic if your content is driven by something that is blocked.. (no, this has nothing to do with Firefox vs. IE, Opera vs (insert browser here))

So - I'm less inclined to incorporate Flash into my site once I get it up..

Just .02 worth,
-Michael
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:55 AM   #52
suspended -- contact admin

Streaming high definition video is where its at. I like to check out www.hd-channel.com
Why showcase your work in a lesser format ? So what does this all cost ?
Tommy James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques