DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Photo + Video Montage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/37566-photo-video-montage.html)

Jay Joo January 9th, 2005 09:55 PM

Photo + Video Montage

Looks like newbie must show something in this forum.

Here's photo+Video Montage (showed at Reception)
I took this When this lovely couple had Engagement Photo Session few month ago.
Tell me what you like and what you don't.

Thanks.

http://www.plasticgothic.com/jihee12...e_david_pm.wmv

Jesse Rosten January 9th, 2005 11:04 PM

Jay,

Nice work. Looks like you put a ton of time into that piece.

What i liked: Some of the effects were neat and helped draw the attention into the pictures. Kudos. Good editing, way to cut to the beat.

What i didn't like: At times it seemd like it was all about your After Effects prowess and not about the couple. The design was really good but i would have picked one or two themes for the whole video and just stuck with those. It seemed like you had so many ideas for design that you just went with all of them :)

Anyways, for a "newbie" you've got skills. Very well done video. I like your style.

peace
jesse

Jay Joo January 10th, 2005 03:23 AM

Thanks Jesse!
Your opinion was very helpful.

I tried to make video interesting as possible as I can beause the video's purpose was showing at reception. Client asked me not to make guests boring. I guess that's why I forgot to focus on couple.

I think I better pick one or two themes for the whole video next time.

thanks again.

Davi Dortas January 10th, 2005 03:37 AM

Excellent work Mr. Joo.

My concern, how is you going to keep this high level of quality for your 50th wedding video? It look like lots of work, I hope you get paid at least $4000 for it, because that is how much it at least worth, if not more.

Anyway, excellent work.

Chris Moore January 10th, 2005 08:07 AM

I thought it was excellent also. the still pics with rotating pics behind was the only visualy weak point. but not bad. I am a newbie also. I Must learn after effects. How did you learn it so well. Class or "just do it" Im sure your client was happy!

Peter Jefferson January 10th, 2005 09:46 PM

Really impressive :)

i noticed particleIllusion emiters were used in there as well :)

i really liked alot fo the composition, however there are a couple of things which have been mentioned prior, such as post production time as well as overkill on the effects. Persoanlly id prefer a shorter faster cut, and use effects only to accentuate a scene, not to use the effect as teh foundation for it. Theres nothign wrong wiht it, but it can become distracting.

When running a business, you dont have the leisure of months upon months of time to create a 10 minute piece.
Yes it was visually stunning and would make or a great showpiece but in a real world scenario, you dont want it to set a precedent for all your future projects :)

Maybe you can offer it in a Grande Package or something??

Again its great work, i just wish i had the time to learn after effects.. :) Hey how bout u take my useless Combustion Skills and
we swap... lol

Brett Alan January 11th, 2005 01:16 PM

First of all Jay you are very talented. You had some great composition work like the letters in the clouds. Of all the effects the ones that blend into the video or pictures naturally are by far my favorite. GREAT JOB! There were things I didnt care for as well and I wasnt going to mention it because everyone has a right to their own personal style but since everyone seems to feel the same way I'm going to have to agree that you gave the feeling that you were showcasing After Effects rather than the Couple. Wedding videos are about the Couple. How they feel, what their thoughts and dreams are and what happened on their wedding day if not before. A slide show is one thing but a Love Story is generally not another slide story. Its a chance to get to know the couple intimately. Let them or family and friends tell their story thru interviews. If you want to keep the pace going just use important sound bites over the relavent images in the slide show and only occasionally cut back to the interview. Dont let people ramble but also dont leave the important comments out. Basically tell their story. If you do it well you'll get your wow factor and still beable to use some of your amazing After Effects skills.

I think your one of the most amazing After Effects guys I've seen. In fact I might have some paid work for you if your interested. Im practically your neighbor right next door in Anaheim. Send me your email or phone number to:

info@BridalVideography.com

I'm Brett by the way. Thanks again and I look forward to talking to you.

Jay Joo January 11th, 2005 08:15 PM

Thanks for your opinion. I really appreciate it.
I also think I used too many effects on this Video+Photo Montage.
It prooved I'm just beginner (Beginners always depends on choppy effects)

I wll keep in mind "Less Effect and concentrate on Couple"

I learn a lot on this board. Thanks!

Jon Omiatek January 11th, 2005 10:32 PM

Jay,

If you don't mind, what software did you use? Adobe AE, Final Cut, Premier..... ??

That must have taken a very long time and it looks great by the way. Little too many effects but if it's what they wanted, I am sure they loved it. Most couples are happy with 1/4 to 1/2 as much effort. It all depends where you live and how high the bar has been raised for the final product. I live in Ohio and the bar is no where near that level but the pricing is not very high either.
I have friends who live in AZ and they videography companies lean more toward a Cinematic Video. They seem to get a higher amount on average than I would get in my area. Although, their amount of time in front of the computer is considerably more! The amount of time it takes to edit the video can't exceed what you can charge or you won't last long. No one likes to work for free. I have found that a hobby(something that you love to do) can quickly change to something you dread to do. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Thanks,

Jon

Jay Joo January 11th, 2005 11:30 PM

Thanks for your advice Jon.

I mainly use
Premiere 6.5, After Effect 6.0 & many 3rd party plug ins.
I also make my own PRESET & TEMPLETE to save time. Of course it's not like ONE CLIKE PRESET & TEPLETE but having my own preset & templete really helps.

Peter Jefferson January 12th, 2005 02:04 AM

what did u use to genenrate the clouds??
I still think you have ALOT of talent.. if you cant find any filming work, you could always edit :)

good stuff!!

Jesse Rosten January 12th, 2005 02:11 AM

Peter,

Check out PARTICULAR by Trapcode.

www.trapcode.com/products.html

Jon Omiatek January 12th, 2005 07:05 AM

Jay,

How many hours did you spend editing that montage? I have watched it a few times and it's one of the best i've seen. I really liked the "wedding story intro".

Thanks for the software info. I just purchased After Effects and the trapcode plugin pack. I really like the Shine effect.

I have been playing with Serious Magic's Ultra. It works great with chroma keying. I am still in the "trying to figure out this program" phase but it's a pretty cool product.

They have a virtual set that has a 3d cake and you can put the bride and groom at the top of the cake. Granted you would have to shoot them on their wedding day in front of a green screen. I bought a 5x7 collapsible screen. I might have to by a 10X12, I will have to see first.

Thanks for letting me know what software you used. I originally used Avid but I am a big vegas fan now. I think it's much easier to use than Adobe Prem Pro.

Jon

Jay Joo January 12th, 2005 01:01 PM

Thanks Jon.

I spent 2 days to edit that montage.
It took more than I plan but was OK becacuse I made bunch 0f my own preset for future use while I edit this montage.

Trapcode is my favorite plug in.

Serious Magic's Ultra sounds great. Does it really work even background is not simple color and has busy movement or something like that? If so, I like to give it try. Thanks for sharing great software info.

Jon Omiatek January 13th, 2005 08:50 AM

Jay,

Do you use a PC or Mac? Ultra is a PC only product. Yes, it works great with movement. I will post a few links to some samples.

Do you know of any good how to's for After Effects to use the cameras, I am having a hard time figuring that out. I have googled it the ones that I have found haven't been much help.

edit--- Found a good site today for online training http://www.vtc.com It's $30 a month but they have training on all the products I use.

Jon