Should I travel with a lighting kit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 25th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Tourist

Should I travel with a lighting kit?

Hi All

I was hired to film a clip for a hi-tech company of a few customer testimonials.

I work on my own, and when I do this locally, I have my regular setup - Canon XM2, Lowel lighting kit (A Rifa soflight as key, and a small Pro-light as kicker, plus a reflector for fill), mics, tripod and all. I throw everything into the trunk of my car, I guess it weighs around 35 Kilos together, and manage somehow.

The thing is, I need to travel over 3 continents for this project, and I'm not sure I'd manage with all the equipment PLUS a suitcase, etc. As this is a relatively low-budget project, I'll need to travel alone.

I'm hesitating whether to tote my lighting kit with me, as it weighs A LOT (Probably 15 Kilos with case, extension cords and accessories). I'd be happy to ditch the lighting, and try to manage documentary-style.

Does anybody have experience with this situation?
Will I be able to manage with no lighting and get acceptable results (all footage will probably be shot indoors)?
Is there some way to minimize the gear I need to take (Maybe less lighting? other techinques?)

Thanks, Ben
Bezalel Ben-Chaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Major Player

I never had to do this, but wouldn't a couple of on-cam mini-lights and a foldable reflector solve most situations? You can use the two mini-lights as key and fill if needed. It would add some weight for batteries, but not much in terms of space. Can you rent light equipment where you are going? Or shoot the interviews in a local photography studio?

Don't forget to white balance!!!
Old January 26th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Are the interviews outdoors or indoors?

If it's indoor production work then I would travel the light kit. If it's outdoor/mobile work then I'd leave the kit and take just an on camera light.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques