1st Dance clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 28th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

1st Dance clip

I humbly submit this in the shadow of Glenn's work.

So this one was a surprise because they told me they had not choreographed their dancing.

So I figured, no biggie, standard swaying back and forth, 2 camera - solo shoot, slow-mo here and there and use the best shots...right?

(When there is choreography I set up an "arial" angle as a third cam, and have an extra shooter).

Anyway, I guess I asked the wrong question. I should have asked, "can you dance?" (I know, I know, I can't ask *that*).

Here it is. It still needs color correction to dial back the orange. That's the way it looked that day though.

This is a shortened version. You'll probably notice where the segments where stitched and cut together. It's all in sync though. As always any critique is welcome.

http://www.relivethemiracle.com/1234567.wmv

-Cesar
Old January 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Major Player

It was ok.

I think that the client will enjoy it a lot.

As a casual viewer who doesn't know the people it was a bit boring. But there isn't much you can do about that!

I would suggest however this one thing. Next time, set up the static shot as a reverse shot. I heard people clapping but never saw them! Where were they? Set up the static shot to show the relationship between the couple dancing the people watching and it will make it a much more useful shot.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

You're right, some reaction shots of the crowd, especially the parents, would have been priceless.

Unfortunately, it was a solo shoot and I had a hard enough time tracking the couple since they were moving fairly quickly all over the dance floor.

A 3 cam shoot would have worked better, with a third cam pointing at the parents of the bride. I think may start to do this more often even if it will be a slow and sway first dance.

I like having the high wide angle of the dance floor as another point of view.

Thanks again for the response.

Sincerely,
Cesar
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I would keep the shot high and wide like you had it, that part was fine. Just locate the camera in a way that it shows not only the high wide shot that you like of the dance floor, but also the audience watching the dancing. You have the camera in a corner that shows the dance floor and the band behind it.

As a one man shoot it's very difficult to get the tight reaction shots and have it all cut well so you may not get that until you add that third camera.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Nice,

Too many of my clients are "budget" and won't pay for a 2nd camera. With one camera I like to get close ups (for that sway dance). On a fast dance like yours, the challenge is to track the couple. You did a good job with that.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Craig,

I don't charge extra for the second cam (although I guess it is built in to the package price).

I only use the second cam for the main events during the reception.

Thanks for taking a look at it.
Old January 31st, 2005, 11:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That was great for a one-man shoot! There was a bit too much headroom on the wide shots (fixed cam after about 20 seconds in and hand-held at the beginning). The 16:9 framing is nice and I'm sure the couple will be thrilled.
Murad Toor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 05:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Nice.

That was fun! I didn't know the couple or their family & friends, but I enjoyed -- as I'm sure your clients will -- seing the expressions on their faces. Priceless.

As someone else said, you did a fine job of tracking the couple all over the dancefloor. I only saw one part, about 80% through, where the shot went out of focus only briefly. For a first dance, that would have thrown me off completely -- but in a good way.

I give it a B+, which is way better than what I could do, even with a second camera.

Were those truck shots done with any kind of stabilizer like a Glidecam, or handheld? I really like the fast pan and truck shots. For an uptempo song like that, it works.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Murad and Tim.

You're right about the head room. I didn't plan the wide shot as well as I should have. Once it got started, trying to fix it would have led to tough synchronization issues.

I considered cropping a little in post but I can't decide whether I want the quality hit. I may end up doing it anyway.

I used a SteadyTracker Ultralite holding a Canon GL2 for the hand held shots. Tracking a dance this fast while zoomed in was pretty tough but a lot of fun.

Thanks,
Cesar

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques