DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   DVC30 for event for-profit viodeos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/39143-dvc30-event-profit-viodeos.html)

Mike Sakovski February 9th, 2005 08:39 AM

DVC30 for event for-profit viodeos

Does any1 here use Pannie AG-DVC30's for shooting weddings; this is 1/4" CCD's cam and according to the reviews its low lite is pretty good, besides the other nicities such as cinegamma and extensive image control. Its' small, relatively inexpensive, so if theres sum1 out there using this cam for the event video, what r ur experiences with it, how does image come out when shooting reception, is it ok or too dark/noisy to be considerate usable?

Thank you all in advance
regards
mike

Mark Williams February 9th, 2005 06:48 PM

Excellent cam. If this is your price point then go for it. I've had mine 9 months and it meets my low light needs.

Regards,

Mark W.

Glen Elliott February 9th, 2005 07:14 PM

Mike are you set on the 30? I ask because in the 1/4" CCD catagory I'd recommend the GL-2. It's assumably the same low-light quality as the DVC-30 but has a 20x optical zoom! Fantastic for getting those nice dramatic close ups.

For the best low light in that price range I'd suggest a VX2100. Second to none.

Mike Sakovski February 10th, 2005 11:44 AM

thank you Glen and Mark for ur replies,

i m not set on it yet, still thinking about.. just figure this is the cam that could have dual purpose - both for business and for personal use, its small enuf to take along on vacation and trips (w/ handle and lens hood off) and impressive enuf for business clients with attached mike, xlr and large eyepiece. Im sure the GL2 is very nice cam but its a lil too big and bulky to be a family cam.
So are there any videographers out there that use/used DVC30 for shooting weddings/events? Id like to hear if this cam is up for a job.

Thank you

regards
Mike

Glen Elliott February 10th, 2005 12:03 PM

I've never seen the DVC-30 in person but I believe it's the same size as the GL-2. Are you sure your not talking about the XL-2? The GL-2 is quite a small camera- the VX2100 even dwarfs it in size.

Mike Sakovski February 10th, 2005 12:20 PM

Glen,
ive seen em both in B&H store . Even shot a few min on each - the DVC30 seemed a lil cleaner than the GL2, but i dont know what settings these 2 cams had in the store at the time, so many ppl touch em and play with em , u know ). Anyhow, from what i saw i gather these 2 cams r pretty much equal in the image dept. Im not saying the DVC is small, cuz its not , but in comparision with the GL2 , Pannie is more compact, both on specs and in real life, very cute cam actually

Mark Williams February 10th, 2005 05:28 PM

I have owned all three. GL-1, GL-2 and now jthe DVC30. There is no comparison on build quality. DVC30 is far superior w/metal chasis and a substantial feel more like a vintage 35mm Nikon F2 camera I own. GL-1 and GL-2 are plastic. I have broken parts off both. I feel the DVC30 will last me a long time.

I have always liked the warm look that Canon products produce. But I can come very close to that with the DVC 30 file scene setting. When examining footage on all three I like the DVC30 better. In low light the DVC30 comes out on top. When comparing it to video shot on a 1/3" cam I can only tell the difference in the most extreme lighting conditions.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Mark

Mike Sakovski February 11th, 2005 03:11 PM

Mark,
i meant to ask u about OIS on the DVC30, is it really that much worse the the GL2's as some ppl on this and other forums claim. Since u 've used them both how can u compare the DVC30 IS to GL2?
Thank you

Mike

Mark Williams February 11th, 2005 06:19 PM

Mike,

I think the OIS on both quality wise are about the same. But because of the type work I do I am normally using a tripod 90% of the time so OIS is not an issue for me. Just remember, if you tripod mount then turn the OIS off on any cam or else it will interfere with the qualiity of your pans and tilts.

Regards,

Mark