Bag of tricks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Bag of tricks

Hi all - we're adding an Event Videogrpahy page to our website. It'll be a landing page that will feature tips & tricks, products for event videogrpahy, links to resources (lof course this forum is included) and special NLE bundles with a Wedding/Event focus.

One of the things I want to include is a A samll beanbag"Bag of Tricks". You know, the stuff you bring with you to every shoot, that you hope you'll never need, but can save the day.
Here's some of what I have:

Videoguys "Bag of Tricks" for Event Videographers
A beanbag for balancing the camera-
A small MagLite flashlight
Needle and thread (a small spool each black and white thread)
Swiss Army Spirit Multitool From Victorinox With Nylon Sheath
Bandaids
Pepto Bismal/Immodium/Kaopectate.
A small Black umbrella
Disposable camera with flash (good for synching cameras)

Thanx for any and all feedback. If you have any links to really good articles or websites, please let me know.

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

That's a nice idea Gary! Hopefully some of our wedding people
have some input for you.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

bright felt tip (I use PINK) artline pen

depending on the size of your belly, a dual pouch utlity belt... one pouch carries a lens cleaning cloth and 3 blank tapes (and one in the cam = 4 all up), the other pouch is empty. Troughout the day, you wil always have tapes on hand and u wont need to put them in u pocket. when the tapes are filled, put the written ones into the empty pouch. Its a working syustem and theres no rummaging around

If using a handheld camcorder, a screw-in pistol grip handle.

Panadol or painkillers

an eye patch for those who shoot out in bright daylight (most of us) Where the patch when your not shooting. It WILL make a difference. Alternatively fo rthe LCD screen wathers a hoodman...

2 way radios with earpieces for the larger weddings and events. KNOW where your staff is...

Bebob lanc controller.. bit of a luxury, but it saves having to touch the camera when doing that slow zoom crawl.

big assed rubber band.. for those that are still having issues with their panning... use this is a shock absorber when panning..
Its the best way to teach someone how to use a tripod properly..

instead of a maglight, i use a small LED light which also doubles a s a keyring. this is then rung around a zipper of each camera bag.

good sneakers.. i wear black Nike Basketball shoes. THeyre stylish, and feel like joggers..

a spare pair of socks and shirt.. nothing worse than filmin in 40 degree (Celcius.. im an aussie.. LOL) heat and sweating like a pig halfway through the ceremony.. its not a good look.

Business card holder that fits in ur pocket.

strong mint gum.. youd be surprised how ur mouth dries up..

god theres so much one can add here.. .I mean hell.. above all you need to know your client.. you need to know what you rfilming to knwo exactly what gear you will be requiring.
Know your gear.. know your limitations.. as if you know all this beforehand, you will know exactly what you can and cant offer the client.. im slipping off topic here.. but i see it all the time..

most importantly, bring a good attitude with you. if you dont, your whole style will reflect your mood...
another important thig is to HAVE FUN.

oh and drink plenty of water too ;)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Wrangler

Some of the things that I feel are important:
- ibprophen
- gatoraid or similar sport drink (I rarely get to eat/drink all day..it's important to stay hydrated)
- Business cards and/or demo
- Back up of equipment (minimum 1 camera, battery, and light back up)
- White card
- shot list
- Eartec full duplex communicators (hopefully using them this upcoming season)
- GPS Navigator (Magellan Roadmate 700) good for gigs in areas your not familiar with.
- Cell phone full of # for back-up videographers if need be
- Shot list (I often forget to bring mine)

The beanbag idea is great. I was going to purchase one just to handle my low angle/floor isle shots I sometimes do during ceremonys.
The white and black thread is brilliant as well...never thought of that.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Glenn,

What brand of white card do you use?

Thanks,

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Trustee

The LensPen cleaning system is compact & effective. Might be a worthy addition.
What about a DV cleaning tape? Or do folks prefer to choose specific brands?
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jon East : Glenn,

What brand of white card do you use?

Thanks,

Jon -->>>

Sorry it took so long to get back to you- almost missed this. I use a Portabrace white card. It came with my Portabrace "DV Organizer Case". Fantastic case by the way. The white card is made out of a plastic and has a rope attached so I can sling it over my tripod pan handle for whenever I need it.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques