DVX100A For weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 12th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Major Player

DVX100A For weddings?

Hi everyone,

I have searched and read the numerous threads on this BB and others about camera choice and I've even started a few myself. :) I need just a little more help in my decision.

I just want to get an idea of how many wedding/event videographers out there are using the Panasonic DVX100A and what you are using for an on camera light when needed? Let's assume that it must be an on camera light as I am planning, for the time being, that I will not have the time to set up shots at the wedding or reception.

The sony users are always quick to praise the low light capabilities of the VX2100 and the PD170 which I have seen first hand now after shooting some test footage with a PD170 and the DVX100A. But, the difference didn't seem to be so drastic that the DVX100A should be discarded as a potential choice for weddings and receptions. Also, the color seemed (to my untrained eyes) to be a little richer on the DVX. Cine-gamma may have been on, I am not sure.

Any links to footage you have shot would be appreciated as well so I can see how the DVX performed during these events.

Kinda off topic...does the DVX100A do interval recording (time lapse)? I have been unable to find this info.

Thanks in advance, as always, for the wealth of knowledge and insight that all of you provide.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

yes, it does have interval recording and 'merd' load of other cool thnigs
Mike Sakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #3
Wrangler

The DVX is a fine cam and is more than good enough for weddings. It's probably the best choice for doing shorts, etc. It's geared a bit more towards controlled shooting. The Sony's (VX and PD) seemed to be best geared for conditions in which you DON'T have control over the lighting (ie dark reception halls).

The difference in low light performance IS pretty drastic. I'm not sure how much experience you have with both cams but I often cut my VX and PD footage with my assistant's DVC-80 and the variance in our low-light reception footage is staggering. It isn't, however, such a difference which makes it not "capable" of being a wedding cam. I know a few big name videographers that use nothing BUT DVX's.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi Glen, would it be to much trouble for you to post a couple of grabs or small clips, comparing the vx and dvc low light footage. I'm considering a purchase of a vx to help my dvx with low light receptions. But first I would like to justify the purchase. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ray Boykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

well....... the PDs were something i was considering until the DVX came out..

then it was a no brainer for me.. sorry to say this, but the features on the camera, configuration settings based on filming environment (ie scene files), wide lens, weighted balance (ie NOT top heavy likea PD170), huge viewfinder, large screen, anamorphic lens (cheap from singapore), super duper Leica lens.. Once u get a lens flare on this (which is really NOT a problem), youll be playing with lights all night long.. and with an anamorphic lense... well forget it.. u wont go home.. it just looks THAT stunning... i have not seen a camera of this "level" which offers this kind of image control. Not even the XL2 is as refined as this.. sorry to say and as good as the XL2 is in widescreen and Progressive, it just doesnt compare the the mobility, Image quality (10k pixel difference isnt really that much of an issue) and response of the DVX... some people will disagree.. but thats me.. im wierd..

The PDs are only really noticable in comparison to the DVX in low light when compared to the 100a, which is slightly noisier than the original DVX100 release. The origial release in my opinion is far cleaner in colour reproduction that the PD.. this is PAL that im comparing, NTSC may be different..
Another thing is that when shooting on a PD.. it DOES look likea PD with really warm skin tones in low light, which i personaly dont like, but thats just me..

by the way, i use 2 DVXs for Weddings and Corp events. havnt had an issue....

what i will suggest that if you go for a sony unit, u may as well go HDV.. now the FX and Z1 are awsome cameras and like the DVX, i cannot fault the Z1.. the FX.. well its the consumer model and it shows.. the Z1.. well thats a beast i waited long for.. I use 3 of the buggers for stage shows and theyre STUNNING. Shoot in HDV, downconvert to SD on capture ;)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #6
Major Player

I dont think a bride would pay more for 24p(even if you tried to explain it). I agree with glen, if your doing a short, or anything in a controlled enviroment, the dvx would be the way to go. In my opinion the color saturation, low light performance, and rugged build quality of the 170 makes it the best choice for weddings and live events bar none.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Scott I emailed you a jpeg frame grab of the PD-170 in a near zero lux environment(wedding afterparty). The only available light in the room is coming from the DJs "laser" show(not a true laser, just flashing colored lights). Email me at alpha1jd@aol.com if anyone else is interested. I cant thank glen enough for his original review on the 170. Its been a workhorse.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I purchased the DVX100 last year and we use it for weddings all the time. We also use a canon GL-2 and it's a nice camera, but in all honesty, the DVX100 is much better. To get the most out of any camera, you must know how to operate it. The best suggestion: sit down with the manual and read it throughly.

Good luck with your purchase.

Linda
Linda Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the screen gab!

So are there any DVX users with screen grabs in low light that I can view?

Also, what on camera lights are you DVX'ers using?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #10
Wrangler

I'll look through the footage from the wedding I'm cutting now and see if I can't make a screen grab from the reception (while our cameras were synced). I can't do it tonight- I'm away from home (and my desktop) but will do so at my earliest convenience.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #11
New Boot

thanks Glen
Ray Boykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #12
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Scott Shama : Thanks for the screen gab!

So are there any DVX users with screen grabs in low light that I can view?

Also, what on camera lights are you DVX'ers using?

Thanks,
Scott -->>>

Scott,

At the present time I don't have any screen grabs to share. As for the on camera light....I use the Pag6 light. Other than carrying around the heavy batteries (I put the battery in a hip sack to carry it) this light weight on camera light works great!

Here is a link for the light: www.pagusa.com

Hope this helps you.

Linda
Linda Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #13
Skyonic New York

low light image of dvx can be found here http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for heads-up RObert. Good article, but seems somewhat biased towards DVX.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #15
Skyonic New York

the article is lame..but the image is what Scott wanted
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques