Does anyone shoot funeral videos for a living? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 25th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #31
Major Player

I think it helps the grieving process. Some many perceive there efforts as a last opportunity to do something extra for their loved one. But it's really for them. I can see the customer's over involvement on my radar screen Jay. Yep, I can see that happening.

This is a little off topic but I gotta mention it. Many funeral homes will try real hard to sell believe it or not. I remember seeing a hiden camera investigation on some ambush investigative program and it was unreal. They were telling people they were out of the inexpensive caskets. Some would apply some pretty hostile guilt-trip tactics when they explain the types of caskets... like "we've got these 4 here and the least expensive one is this one but it's nothing more than a coffee can. But it's up to you if that's the one you want." NO KIDDING! So get ready to do some haunting Jay.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:22 PM   #32
Major Player

From what I'm reading here, it seems all these funeral videos have is photos. What if you added some home movie footage of the deceased in addition to photos? I think that would add a more interesting touch, and you wouldn't have to film a thing, as the client would just give you some tapes.

Also, what about recording audio only of a few, for lack of a better word, statements or comments from friends and family? Maybe just a nice memory that matches with a couple photos or something. It would add such a personal touch from those that might not be able to give a eulogy. Just play the audio over the music at different parts of the film.

I know this all adds to the time and cost, but would people be willing to pay more for something a little more personal? I would certainly rather have a beautiful, personal keepsake for my family that can be watched over and over again, than an over-priced box to bury me in!

What do you think?

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:41 PM   #33
Major Player

Dan, I think you should try it and let us know. SOmeone has to be first.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:13 AM   #34
Major Player

Thanks a bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Naumann
Hi - saw your question, and thought I better answer since funeral videos is over half of what I do in video. Please visit my web site www.memoryvision.tv for more information about what I do, and a sample of my work. Please email me with any questions to: anaumann@mn.rr.com. Thanks for your interst. Alan
Wow, this thread is alive once again~! Thanks Alan. Right now it's 1:13AM so I'll email you later. :) Gotta go to bed now.
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 03:31 AM   #35
Major Player

Here is the next latest in funeral video business:

http://www.vidstone.com
Old September 7th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #36
Major Player

Now I've seen it all.
Old September 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Vidstone...

Okay, know that's just getting a bit weird...haha...okay, no thats just weird. But hey maybe they are making good money who knows...
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #38
Major Player

I can see it now... customer wants you to change something after it's already in the stone.

ha ha ha
Old September 10th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa

http://www.vidstone.com
Thanks for the link~
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #40
Tourist

Re: Does anyone shoot funeral videos for a living?

I filmed my first funeral about 3 months ago and am now averaging two a month. Funeral filming is a lot simpler than wedding videos and so I'm welcoming the work. However, some funeral videos are more difficult than others. I did a Caribbean style funeral the other week which was a lot more complex and took a lot longer to edit than the average funeral video.

I tend to get booked mostly by family members who can't make it due to high costs of travel. I got booked last month from relatives in Australia, Canada and New Zealand. As always, it's a real privilege to film something like this.

Here's part of a funeral video I shot a couple of weeks ago.

Funeral Filming and Funeral Videos by Beautiful Life Event Films
Shaun Foulds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #41
Major Player

In the lean months I do shoot funerals, it is pretty straight forward, stress free and you don't have to worry about doing money shots. Believe it or not we get photography packages as well. It is very simple as well, pose each family beside the coffin ( don't forget that its a funeral, meaning don't say BIG SMILES everyone).

Music is easy as well, Josh Grobin and the theme song from Ghost those are the only 2 songs you need.

I thought about doing funeral shoots exclusively but never had the chance to market myself (part of me still want to shoot the celebration of life, rather than the end of it).
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Hi Noel

I actually considered it because as you say, it's less stressful than a wedding and nothing is rushed!! My buddy over East says he does around 6 a year!!

In Australia most weddings are done in a funeral home with a civil celebrant so shooting those would be fairly easy. They usually have the coffin on display at the premises so there is no hearse as such but the celebrant gives a little talk followed by family coming up with something to say. It would almost be like doing wedding speeches here!!! Hardly creative but there would be an income as most funerals are during the week anyway!!

Do you pay the funeral director a big cut or does the family contact and hire you???? I do my Realty Inspection reports for $200 for maybe 2 hours work so funerals might be a neat extra source of income..where we are we also have an ageing population and lot's of funeral homes.

I have only been to a couple of services here and the only thing they do is put up a slideshow using old photos with the deceased favorite songs.

Hmmmm might be worth looking into????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa View Post

VIDSTONE.COM | WELCOME | VIDSTONE - Home Page
If you put one of those into a gravestone here, it would be out and on Ebay the next day; cemented in or not it would be gone.

I been asked to do four. Two of those were for Caribbean families who seemed to be quiet relaxed about it and the result was very satisfactory for the family and for me. One was for an Indian family who live next door to me. They wanted it filmed but only wanted to look at it. They said that they wanted to see the funeral but could not keep the video or even stills of the funeral for cultural reasons. The other was for a English family, it was very stressful. The immediate family were okay but the extended family and friends looked embarrassed, self-conscious and threw many daggered looks at me as if to say don't film me you insensitive vulture. Before you think that I was being in their face I wasn't everything was shot at discrete distance but everyone was so conscious of it being filmed. I've never offer to do another, I just don't feel it's for me.

Last edited by George Kilroy; March 16th, 2011 at 03:42 AM.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #44
Major Player

Hi Chris, sorry for the late reply. I charge $ 500 for a 4 hour shoot ( Funeral Home/Church/Cemetery/Reception), the edit is pretty straight forward like I don't take tons of footage and I basically shoot edit already.

My plan was to contact funeral homes which I never get to do, the people who calls me got my number from a local newspaper I advertise in. Other Studios who shuns away from funerals throws me some business as well. I know one Event DV 25er back then exclusively shoot funerals, so I know there's money to be made.
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #45
Major Player

Got offered to do this numerous times, but just cannot get myself to do it.. i understand the reason and need for the service but luckily i have the option of saying no thanks. I guess if its a job to pay the mortgage and such then that is certainly an "untapped" market...

Kren
www.verticalvideoworks.ca
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques