DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   all 7d highlights // jc plus esther (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/401340-all-7d-highlights-jc-plus-esther.html)

Patrick Moreau September 15th, 2009 12:50 PM

all 7d highlights // jc plus esther

this was entirely shot with the 7d. this will be our new main cam without a doubt. full frame is great, but the low light on this is amazing and the dof is more than enough (think red). the cropped sensor comes in handy more than it hurts, in our use so far.

more details about the couple and their story on our blog.

here is some shoot info:
// one cinematographer
// two Canon 7D cams
// four lenses; 50 f1.2, 24 f1.4, 100 macro f2.8, 70-200 f4 non-IS
// one tripod, one monopod, one cinevate pegasus heavy lifter (slider)
// audio was through a tascam and zoom h4n paired with sennheiser ew g2 wireless lavs
// no external lighting was utilized in any of the shots in the final piece. everything was working with what was there.

P.

vimeo jc plus esther // all 7d highlights on Vimeo
blog stillmotion photo + cinema blog // emotive art - canon 7d highlights // jc plus esther (trackback link to this post)

Shaun Conner September 15th, 2009 02:00 PM

One word. Amazing!!!! Shot by only one person makes this that much more inspiring. I don't see how you did that with one person. That's just amazing.

Matt Barwick September 15th, 2009 05:46 PM

Beautiful work as always Patrick and thanks for sharing. This is one of the most intimate of SMs pieces I've seen.

The words written on the blog about the couple definitely complete it.

Cheers,

Matt.

Susanto Widjaja September 15th, 2009 09:12 PM

O my gosh... can't have words for it. one shooter.... how many arms you got there.... seriously... very much looking forward for the experience workshop next year with you guys..

Jason Robinson September 15th, 2009 09:51 PM

Oh.... my ... goodness. That was a fantastic edit, made even more cool by the tech bling (aka 7d).

Great use of the groom & bride reveal audio. So amazingly clear!

so essentially the 7d rocks for the visuals, but you abandon using it for audio (same problems as the 5d then?) and use an external solution that you sync in post?

Sean Seah September 16th, 2009 06:59 AM

Yeah Pat amazing. All that with one shooter. 2 cams are tough enough, let alone 2 recorders!

Jason Magbanua September 16th, 2009 10:40 AM

Nice Patrick! great shooting and edit!

Though I wonder if it could have been any better with Michael and Konrad on board.

Patrick Moreau September 16th, 2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua (Post 1360652)
Nice Patrick! great shooting and edit!

Though I wonder if it could have been any better with Michael and Konrad on board.

that is a tough one. would they have contributed to the story, allowed me to shoot less and focus more, absolutely. but i think something was gained by not having anybody to rely on, and i think that pushed me further. i knew that nothing was happening that i didn't make, which was in a sense a little scary compared to how we normally work, but also very liberating. certain things, like the first meeting, ceremony, and speeches, were exceptionally tough to shoot how i wanted with one person. i would have loved to have had one of them there. but, does the story in itself need more? an extra person would have meant a steadicam in some parts, but i think it is held together very well without. it is an interesting question. i think they would have certainly added, but i would have taken away. i don't know how that would have compared to what we have here.

P.

Susanto Widjaja September 16th, 2009 11:56 AM

I just had a thought that having only one shooter I would most likely choose a zoom lens as my primary like a 24-70 on one cam and a 70-200 on the other. But you only had 70-200 which I think mostly just used in the ceremony and reception? it adds to the "wow" factor... that you still used the primes on most of the time.

Matt Barwick September 16th, 2009 05:34 PM

I wonder how many of us would've picked it as a single operator shoot without prior knowledge?

Jason Robinson September 16th, 2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Barwick (Post 1361988)
I wonder how many of us would've picked it as a single operator shoot without prior knowledge?

No way I would have. Seemless use of glidetrack for processional, then almost instant cut to operated (aka not static) shots at the top of the aisle. That is a fast moving op!

Jawad Mir September 16th, 2009 06:33 PM

very well executed Patrick. I just love the colors on this camera and of course the edit is incredible as well.

great work and the ending is just PERFECT and emotional:)

Sean Seah September 16th, 2009 07:01 PM

Yeah I agree with Jason. That was really fast Patrick!!! In my country the photographers would tail the couple at the way so we have no choice but to almost follow them. Sticks dun work for the aisle.

Susanto Widjaja September 16th, 2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1361991)
That is a fast moving op!

SUPERMAN!

if only wedding videographers have special powers eh? like teleportation or something.. that would be handy. I think Patrick has telekinesis... you think he's been using the steadicam rig when he flies his cameras and always got silky smooth movement...?? think again....

:P

Louis Maddalena September 16th, 2009 11:52 PM

Patrick,

If you only had one shooter, how did you do both bride and groom prep?

Louis.