DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   soft FX, blown out look. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/40881-soft-fx-blown-out-look.html)

Mike Cook March 10th, 2005 03:57 PM

soft FX, blown out look.

howdy!

I need some advice from you wedding guys (Glen) an that soft FX blown out look and also the old 8mm film look.

I need these looks on an unrelated project and you guys are the masters at it. I use PPro and AE mostly. What are the steps/techniques? I searched but could not come up with much.

Also, Glen, I would love to have a look at that hightlight video that is off the air right now.

Cheers guys (and gals)

Mike

Glen Elliott March 11th, 2005 08:04 AM

I believe what your referring to is my use of Vegas's "Glow" filter. It takes the highlights and diffuses them- very similar to Photoshop's "Diffusion" filter.

I'm not really familiar with all the effects in PPro but I do believe they have something comparable.

There are tons of plug-in's out there to reproduce the old film look (film damage) much better than the one built in to Vegas. Specifically for AE.

Mike Cook March 11th, 2005 09:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. PPro does not have glow as far as I can see, or anything similar. AE has it so I can do it there. The Matrox plugin has soft focus which is similar but does not blow out those highlights as nicely.

Thanks again!

Mike

Jason Balick March 12th, 2005 12:58 PM

Effect filters for Diffusion

Just get Tinderbox 3. It has awsome blurs like the diffusion filter that works amayzing! You should also try the instant sex effect which u can do in after effects by setting one layer to screen and putting it at 50 % opacity above the original layer and add the tinderbox blur filter to it also. And Wham-Oh!! Awsome look.

Chris Wright March 22nd, 2005 12:11 PM

Is there anything similar to the Vegas "glow" filter that's available in Final Cut Pro?

Thanks

Joel Peregrine March 24th, 2005 05:35 PM

Hi Chris,

Joe's Filters has a filter called Color Glow that works in the same way.

http://www.joesfilters.com/joescolorglow.php

Glen Elliott March 24th, 2005 07:37 PM

Hey...it's the "phenom" Joel Perigrine! Welcome to the forums Joel...I see you joined back in 2002 but haven't posted since Ocotober of that year. Hope to see more of you here. Many of us, including myself, can definitly use the wisdom and inspiration you offer.

Joel Peregrine March 24th, 2005 09:43 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Hey...it's the "phenom" Joel Perigrine! Welcome to the forums Joel...I see you joined back in 2002 but haven't posted since October of that year. Hope to see more of you here. Many of us, including myself, can definitly use the wisdom and inspiration you offer. -->>>

Phenom - Ackkk. Thats not me. I like the layout of this forum and the fact that real names are used. Congrats on the moderator status.

Glen Elliott March 24th, 2005 10:08 PM

Why thank you. Yeah you'll find this forum is much more professional and clean than the VU forum(s).

It's our absolute pleasure to have you.

Mike Cook March 31st, 2005 09:24 AM

I have been experimenting and here is another nice look which requires AEpro

Do your color correction to the bottom layer. To the top layer add your blur (I use tinderbox lens blur) and a levels adjustment Make sure the levels adjustment is on top on the blur.

Set the transfer mode to softlight and down the opacity to around 40%. Now, play with the levels white and gamma slider to adjust what blows out and how much.

This gives you great control.

M

Linda Walker June 11th, 2005 06:05 AM

Using joes color glow effects in ppro

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine
Hi Chris,

Joe's Filters has a filter called Color Glow that works in the same way.

http://www.joesfilters.com/joescolorglow.php

Hi Joel,

Do you know if joe's filters can be used in Premiere Pro, or are they for use in FCP only?

Thanks,

Linda

Boyd Ostroff June 11th, 2005 06:12 AM

Joe's Filters only work with Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express on the Mac, sorry...

Adam Kampia June 11th, 2005 07:18 AM

If I understand corectly, that soft, blown-out look might be the same thing many of us call the "instant sex" look.

In PPro and AE, it can be acheived by copying the clip to the next track (or layer) up.
Then apply a gaussian blur filter to the copied top clip (3.0-10.0 or so--I always eyeball it based on how closeup the shot is).
Drop the opacity of the top track to 50-60%
Crank up the brightness a bit, toy with contrast, levels, oversaturate, whatever you want to do with that top layer until it looks cool.

With some playing around, it is a really sweet effect.

Peter Jefferson June 11th, 2005 09:27 AM

Premier
Matrox and Canopus DV Cards have a filter called "soft focus" literally called that.
To me its canned effects which look like the next guys.. every seconds wedding video uses this effect and its so typical its sickening.
Glow i can handle when tryin to emulate film, but focus.... i dunno...

Thats just my opinion but im a picky prick when it comes to filters.
Hell i even hate the "warm" look. Real skin tones, yes.. but deliberate correcting for that warmth really does my head in...
Was their skin that warm on the day?? No?? Then why use it? Is it consistent with the tone of the day?? ie, was it summer? was it sweaty? Does it EMPHASISE the shot or is the filter there for the sake of being there??
Thats my issue with effects i guess..
People use them coz they can..

If you have SW only, go grab a copy of Edius Pro3.. all the effects in the Storm 2 are in this application.
Vegas however is prolly the most powerful (apart from edius) when it comes to filters. It doesnt have the "range" of "wow factor" (as i call it) as Edius or Matrox effects, but its filters are FAR FAR MORE powerful and useful
As for after effects, after buying the initial package, u can go out and fish for all the little plugins to make things even prettier.. after forking out more cash
you can spend a couple of months learning how to use it, then spend another fortnight figuring out how to implement it into your workload...
then u can wait for it to render.. and wait a lil longer.. and keep waiting..
yes its that slow..

anyways.. reading back it sounds like im upset about something but im not.. lol
I just feel that filters and effects are so flexible these days that spending time creating your own FX chains is far more original and worthwhile to you and your clients..

Adam Kampia June 11th, 2005 02:54 PM

I think you're right on. The "soft focus" filters look weak and have no depth to them.
Its so much more satisfying, and not that much more work, to create styles that are uniquely your own.
Dissing AE though? Its only as slow as your PC! My rig eats 10-layer AE comps for breakfast. Have you tried 6.5 with Open GL support for RT preview? Fantastic.