DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How long is long enough for a wedding video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/41025-how-long-long-enough-wedding-video.html)

Young Lee March 12th, 2005 11:32 PM

How long is long enough for a wedding video?

Yes, I've seen a number of samples, but they are like only 3-4 mins. long, so I have no idea how long an actual wedding video is. Is 60 mins. OK? I really don't want to make a boring video.

Also how long does it usually take to deliver a final product?

Thanks. :)

Stylianos Moschapidakis March 13th, 2005 12:04 AM

Hi Young - I believe that the best way to determine the appropriate total running time of a wedding video is to discuss it with your client. The majority of my projects run between 85 and 115 minutes.

Young Lee March 13th, 2005 12:11 AM

Thanks, Stylianos. Many B&G seem to like long ones, I guess.

Kevin Shaw March 13th, 2005 06:59 AM

With the shift to delivery of video on DVDs I don't consider total length of a wedding project a significant issue, since viewers can skip around at will if they get bored. Most of my clients seem to prefer more footage rather than less, so I give them full coverage of the ceremony and all main events at the reception, plus condensed coverage of dancing/etc. For me this means my shortest wedding videos run about 90 minutes, and more often than not I'll go to two discs totalling as much as 180 minutes or so. I get calls from people who say they've watched all of that several times within a few weeks of receiving the video, and never any saying it was too long.

I may also include a "highlights" segment which is about 5-10 minutes long showing just the best moments from the video set to music, and customers seem to enjoy that as well.

Don Bloom March 13th, 2005 07:18 AM

I'm on the other side of this. My works run approximatley 45 minutes start to finish- even with the chapters on the DVD-I do include an uncut version of the ceremony for their viewing pleasure but it just a personal choice as to how you wish to edit. As long as your clients know what you offer and they like it, fine.
Don't offer long form and then suddenly change to condensed.
Don

Glen Elliott March 13th, 2005 10:20 AM

It really depends on the style in which you design the program. If your more of a short form editor weddings can be as short as 30-45 minutes. Some long-form shooters/editors have weddings that stretch as long as 2 hours (sometimes more).

To me 2+ hours is simply too long. The only way to get that kind of length is to edit several sections of the day in long-form without any shortening of time. You don't have to lay out all the footage as it happened to tell the story. I've been able to tell a compelling story with a video which runs around 45 minutes. I find clients enjoy more of a short-form style. It's more condusive to good pacing and keeping their finger off the FF button. As always, however, discuss this with your client. Every so often you get a client that WANTS the entire ceremony long-form. Those wedding usually end up around 1 hour 30 minutes.

Young Lee March 13th, 2005 01:27 PM

Thanks everyone.

Glen, I saw your sample videos before (and I love them), and I'd like to know if you put music nonstop from the beginning to the end of your 45 min. video.

Peter TK Lee March 18th, 2005 09:29 PM

Hello Young,

Just to chime in, I don't think non-stop music would be used on the 45min video. Glen may say otherwise of course.

I would think the full version is to show the events of the day, storytelling it as the day progresses to the end. Placing music behind all this takes away much of that.

cheers,
Peter

Young Lee March 20th, 2005 01:20 AM

Thanks, Peter. :)