DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   slideshow for wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/41094-slideshow-wedding.html)

Deniz Turkmen March 14th, 2005 09:21 AM

slideshow for wedding

I've been asked to create a slideshow that will be shown during the reception at a wedding. It's about 40 photos that will be set against music and put onto a DVD. Some of the photos are a little faded and will need some retouching, but the majority of them are OK.

How much should I charge for something like this?

Thanks

Edward Troxel March 14th, 2005 09:25 AM

My price is $4.00 per photo.

Bob Costa March 14th, 2005 10:22 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : My price is $4.00 per photo. -->>>

incluidng retouching?

Edward Troxel March 14th, 2005 11:15 AM

Very minimal clean up. Maybe try to get rid of a few "age" lines - especially if they cross a person. Maybe a little color correction if the color is way off. But honestly very little - they knew what the picture looked like when they gave it to me. On probably 95% of them I do nothing.

Sometimes - if I get just the right picture - I may do a "Kids on the Picture" style image. Those look real cool if you throw one or two of them in (more than that and it gets really old).

Glen Elliott March 14th, 2005 11:51 AM

Edward, the "kid stays in the picture" effect is time consuming. If you can do some photo montages at that price including a few of these...I might just subcontract you out to do mine!

Btw, if you guys don't already know... the "kid stays in the picture" effect comes from a Documentary by that name that used a 3D effect with animated stills. Basically just separating the subject from the background in an image and placing them both on different layers. Then in post you scroll each at a different rate giving the feeling of depth/3d.

John C. Chu March 14th, 2005 11:59 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Edward, the "kid stays in the picture" effect is time consuming. If you can do some photo montages at that price including a few of these...I might just subcontract you out to do mine!

Btw, if you guys don't already know... the "kid stays in the picture" effect comes from a Documentary by that name that used a 3D effect with animated stills. Basically just separating the subject from the background in an image and placing them both on different layers. Then in post you scroll each at a different rate giving the feeling of depth/3d. -->>>

I love "The Kid Stays In the Picture". [Rented it from Netflix a month back.]

It was a really compelling and entertaining film and that effect really plays an important role in bringing the pictures to life. Sort of like an animated "diorama" that kids make for school.

I've seen it used in CBS 48 Hours Mystery also....but the question is... is there an affordable standalone Mac program that does that same effect?(animating both layers etc?)

I would love to use the effect....

You can do a whole film like that...

Edward Troxel March 14th, 2005 12:55 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Edward, the "kid stays in the picture" effect is time consuming. If you can do some photo montages at that price including a few of these...I might just subcontract you out to do mine! -->>>

I don't do it very often! Plus, if I DO decide to do it, it has to be a VERY approachable image. Or I might only do a very small piece of it.

For example, I once had an image of the groom wearing a tie and his hand happened to be on the tie. I just cut out the lower portion of the tie, erased the tie in the main image, and then had the tie move back and forth. Very subtle but still effective. Plus it was just a few straight cuts to isolate the tie.

Glen Elliott March 14th, 2005 01:33 PM

Ahhh see I manually mask everything out by hand with my Wacom Intuos 2. Definitely makes it easier than with a mouse but it's still a lot of grunt work.

Bob Costa March 14th, 2005 04:08 PM

Ed, do you have a newsletter tutorial on how to do that in Vegas?

Edward Troxel March 14th, 2005 04:15 PM

Actually, no. I have not written that one up. Probably should! I'll look into it.

Jimmy McKenzie March 14th, 2005 04:16 PM

For adventurous types, after effects can take as many layers as you wish and separate them on the z plane and then take the point of interest of the camera and move that among the layers. Among other 3d options...

Very powerful.

Linda Walker March 15th, 2005 08:22 AM

I don't know what a "kid in the picture" effect is. Does anyone have a sample that they would like to share? Sounds interesting.

Edward Troxel March 15th, 2005 09:00 AM

It's basically where you cut out the main subject of the photo and then move the main subject and background differently. I don't have a ready example handy.

Linda Walker March 15th, 2005 11:15 AM

Thanks for the explanation. If anyone does have an example I would very much like to see one. In the mean time, perhaps I'll give my best try to envision what one would look like and how to create it.

Thanks.

Edward Troxel March 15th, 2005 12:09 PM

Here's a very quickie example:

http://www.jetdv.com/tts/Candle.wmv

Notice how the background does not move yet the candle grows larger. Naturally you could also have the background move independently of the foreground. You just need to make sure you don't let what you have cut out to be the foreground show up in an area of the background.