Intro clip for review/critique/whatever at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Trustee

Intro clip for review/critique/whatever

Here's an intro clip from a small, intimate wedding on a gloomy day. Feel free to comment, critique, denounce, or whatever. Any feedback is appreciated.

Pick one please (all the same clip, just several format/size choices):
14MB (320x240 WMV, 512Kps) http://clearcreekproductions.com.nyu...intro_512k.wmv
35MB (480x360 WMV, 1Mbps) http://clearcreekproductions.com.nyu...ntro_1mbps.wmv
14MB (320x240 MOV, 512Kps) http://clearcreekproductions.com.nyu...intro_512k.mov
35MB (480x360 MOV, 1Mbps) http://clearcreekproductions.com.nyu...ntro_1mbps.mov

Links are "coralized" (http://www.coralcdn.org/), please let me know if you have trouble downloading the clip.
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm not much for detailed nitpicking analysis, and I dont discuss minute details of movies...I just thought it was awesome, very tasteful and unique for an obviously uniquely tasted couple. Some truly beautiful shots...the rain on the sidewalk comes to mind. I only got to see about 3/4 of it because my 56k hookup went south, but I envy your skills.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #3
Trustee

Daniel

Thanks Daniel! I appreciate you taking the time to post.
Hey, I just read your sig...I met Rick Schmidt in Feb. at a filmaking workshop in Little Rock, AR. I see you are a fan...
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Greets Matt,

Check out my Rick story here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=281899#post281899

Also, watched what I have of your clip on my drive (before I lost connection) again with my wife, again...very nice work. Loved the first shot of the dress, which blows out into the hat, and many others...to me, very...very nice stuff. It's really good to see alternatives to the usual, standard fare (which
I also marvel at...am in no way cutting on the beauty of or
denouncing, as you put it!) to keep perspectives fresh and
creative. I hope to have as many couples as possible that
will allow for a little something different, even if it means a
little Hank Jr. music getting involved...which is highly likely
in my neck of the woods!
Old March 26th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #5
Trustee

Rick Story

Wow, you got to pick his brain over lunch? That's really cool.
What story did you send him?
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #6
Major Player

On my next trip to Arkansas Matt, maybe we can get together. I travel there occasionally for pleasure (mother-in-law lives in Cabot) and I travel there professionally (I have a project going on with the Air Force at LRAFB).....
Mark
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #7
Trustee

I travel there occasionally for pleasure (mother-in-law lives in Cabot)
Hey Mark, you misspelled "obligation" in that sentence... :-D

and I travel there professionally (I have a project going on with the Air Force at LRAFB).....
You are an old military hand turned indepentent gov contractor, right? Seems like I remember you mentioning that before...

Next time you are going to be in the area, holler at me. I'd be glad to get together to talk shop over a drink. I'm in Fayetteville, LR is like 200mi from here, and Cabot is just NE of LR, right?
Old March 26th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #8
Inner Circle

a really REALLY nice solid piece there mate..

nice effective and the celtic type music brings out that gothic theme... really good choice in tunage i must say :) a bit too powerful when triggering the footage, but very workable.

Camera work was brilliant.. some real nice DOF shots (or was that vegas with a cookie cutter and gausian blur? hehehe either that or the camera ur using has a point focus?? )

i noticed you synced the drum rolls/crashes to a fade to black, then at about 3min u did the same thing with the strings..
instead of that, as teh strings are so uplifting,u might want to consider a fade to white instead? a bit of consistant variety to accentuate that what we're watching is progressing, might help the viewer understand that the story is also evolving with the music. Mind u im a pedant when it comes to sound (ie i nitpick) and to me the music was just that lil bot too powerful, which could be a benefit if u had included afew more subtle shots similar to the rain on the pathway and maybe afew extreme close ups

in all though, i think it was a stunning piece.. really very VERY moving..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #9
Trustee

Hey Peter, thanks for taking the time to post!
When you say "a bit too powerful when triggering the footage, but very workable" what exactly are you referring to? It's late and I think I'm being dense, can you explain further?

Camera work was brilliant.. some real nice DOF shots (or was that vegas with a cookie cutter and gausian blur? hehehe either that or the camera ur using has a point focus?? )
The footage was shot with a VX-2100, all rack focus/DOF shots were created while shooting.

i noticed you synced the drum rolls/crashes to a fade to black, then at about 3min u did the same thing with the strings..instead of that, as teh strings are so uplifting,u might want to consider a fade to white instead? a bit of consistant variety to accentuate that what we're watching is progressing, might help the viewer understand that the story is also evolving with the music.
That's very observant, and a great suggestion. I like that you are commenting on the storytelling aspect, many times these sort of critiques center around the technicalities of shooting and editing. This piece has been finished and delivered, but I'm making note of your comments for future edits.
Thanks for that, and thanks again for posting!
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #10
Major Player

Re: Rick Story

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Jeppsen : Wow, you got to pick his brain over lunch? That's really cool.
What story did you send him? -->>>

It was pretty danged awesome. His books have changed so many things in my life, both outer and inner, and to have had that opportunity was indescribable.

Honestly, I really dont want to tell the story I sent him, it's going to be made into a movie ultimately; as a matter of fact, Rick has strongly encouraged that to happen and has offered to help. I'm hoping I can hire him to fly in and work on it with me directly when I get the $.

But it was my true story of joining the United States Marine Corps...and never going to boot camp. I would have never guessed he would have thought it good enough to give a scholarship for, much less become as enthusiastic about it as he has. Different things hit different people in different ways.
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #11
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Jeppsen : Hey Peter, thanks for taking the time to post!
When you say "a bit too powerful when triggering the footage, but very workable" what exactly are you referring to? It's late and I think I'm being dense, can you explain further?
-->>>

most of the footage was powerful within itself, however at some parts within the musical piece the cut shot which is being triggered could have been slightly more powerful to go with teh music. Its not a critisism, as the work is stunning, its just that the music is very intense, and bringing that intensity forward could have jsut given it that extra icing. Maybe some stark glowing black and white shots, or some darker elements to bring out some shadowed shots to really punch out that gothic feel. the best thing about it is that it doesnt FEEL like your typical wedding clip :) thats a big plus for me
Im not picking, coz i really did enjoy watching it, hell if it was my own wedding id be happy to pay extra for something like this :)

The footage was shot with a VX-2100, all rack focus/DOF shots were created while shooting.

((groovy :) like i said the camera work was brilliant!!!! the rock stability (ie rock solid) of the shots made me think it was done in post, as they were supoer smooth but that again is more kudos for u considering the rack shots were all done on the spot. I reckon u shoudl use this as your demo, but make sure u advise the client that its all done on the fly. Use your cameras skills as a selling tool :)

i noticed you synced the drum rolls/crashes to a fade to black, then at about 3min u did the same thing with the strings..instead of that, as teh strings are so uplifting,u might want to consider a fade to white instead? a bit of consistant variety to accentuate that what we're watching is progressing, might help the viewer understand that the story is also evolving with the music.
That's very observant, and a great suggestion. I like that you are commenting on the storytelling aspect, many times these sort of critiques center around the technicalities of shooting and editing. This piece has been finished and delivered, but I'm making note of your comments for future edits.
Thanks for that, and thanks again for posting! -->>>

((nah dude its ok.. i see things as an observer first anto see how much of an emotional impact it will have when i watch it. I try to put myself in the clients shoes. Then i get into the technical side of things, but to me, a wedding IS a story. So many producers cut in a way where its like a variety of segments with no continuation, but for that cinematic feel, continuation is one of the main prioritites witin the edit.

dude, ur stuff kicks ass, i was enthralled by the theme, and the music kept me hooked. The air of mystery was consistant and it really is a classic wedding piece throughout.
Good stuff!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #12
Trustee

I see your point about the intense music benefiting from more intense shots. Thanks for explaining yourself so well, you suggestion makes perfect sense.

I reckon u shoudl use this as your demo, but make sure u advise the client that its all done on the fly. Use your cameras skills as a selling tool :)
Yes, I'll be adding this one to a demo reel very soon.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques