What do you use iRiver for? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #1
Major Player

What do you use iRiver for?

I read somewhere else about using the iRiver recorders for audio redundancy... what is this? I know what redundancy is, but how do you set everything up?

Do you have your receiver plugged into your camera recording on the tape as well as the same audio recording onto this iRiver portable recorder? If you have to use the audio recorded from the iRiver device, do you ever have sync issues in post?

Do you ever record ambient room noise to capture applause and such?
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Many people are using it IN PLACE OF a wireless mic on the groom, or officiant, or speakers podium. It has some definite advantages - but it also has many disadvantages as well. So, kind of think of it as your wireless mic except it records directly instead of broadcasting the signal to your camera.

If you want true redundancy, then place both the wireless AND iRiver on the groom. That way if one fails, you have the other as a backup.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #3
Wrangler

You can use it pretty much any way you want to use it:
- Grab feed from mixer (in Church and at reception from DJ)
- Mic the officiant, groom, and/or soloist & harpists
etc, etc

Setting them up is easy- plug in a lav mic- set to record, turn the "lock" button on so that buttons won't be pressed while in the pocket of the groom or officiant. Transfer/convert to HD connecting the iRiver via USB and using the included iRiver software.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the answers!

So, if you use one for audio redundancy, how do you hook it up with the wireless transmitter? Do you just use a splitter? Does that reduce the audio quality at all?

Also, since the audio this records is compressed with mp3, does it get noticeably worse when recompressed for a DVD? I would guess not because many of you use them.

What about minidisc? Is that any better/worse than using an iRiver recorder?
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

No, it's two totally separate units. If you're using it for redundancy, the person would be wearing TWO mics - one for the wireless and one for the iRiver.

As for the quality - totally depends on the quality setting you pick. However, there are many settings that give you great quality.

Minidisc is similar to the iRiver. Main differences: records to a disc (instead of memory) and "capture" would be real-time through your sound card (possibly reducing quality depending on your system).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #6
Major Player

I've been looking pretty hard for a good omni lav with a minijack plug to use with the iRivers. I'm wanting to use one or two to pick up all (officiant/groom/bride) the vows. Whats a good mic for that, and would it require two units to do effectively, or would I have to use two?

I found one fellow who said his iRiver provides power to a condenser, do the 700 series provide mic power? Nothing on the iRiver, or any other website mentions this, even on his model HP310 (I think, which is too bulky and expensive).

Gracias,
Daniel
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #7
Still Motion

The 700 series does work with an unpowered mic. It can be switched from line in to mic to accomadate many different inputs. There is an azden omni that many people use, it is under $20 at BH. Another good place to check is www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com. The quality is apparently comparable if not better to the azden and you can order the omni mic with a right angle plug on it so it makes the iRiver unit a bit smaller with less chance of the mic being pulled out.

I have often used only one mic on the groom and got excellent audio from all three, as you suggest. Now that we have much more equipment, I will be using several mics to be safe but that doesn't mean it cannot be done well with only 1.

Good luck.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #8
Trustee

I hvae been using the IRIver 700 series for about 6 months now and love them. I hvae units ranging from 256 mb to 1GB.
I have Samson Wireless that I use to use for vows, but onny occasionaly use it now, and I also may use it to the feed into my VX2100 from board during Reception for toasts.
For micing up a Ceremony, I put one on Officiant & Groom, and one on podium fr speeches and readings. I use the Azden lav mics for all and have gotten crisp audio with no dropouts and perect sync with audio.
The only downside is you can't monitor, but with that many units working, you are bound to get good audio,
I use the 1 GB units for Reception where I have each unit Gaffer taped to mic stands using Seinheiser E604 mic to mic monitor speakers and AT822 mics to mic musicians or ambiant audio.
Works great every time.

Michael
LVProductions
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #9
Trustee

Yes, they provide plug-in power, around 2 to 3 volts.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:36 AM   #10
Major Player

Thank you guys, I should be set, and thank you Patrick...I placed an order with Giant Squid! Had never heard of him before, and told him you referred me.

Here's what I wound up doing, aside from piling up some more credit card debt:

Picked up 3 795's. Really couldnt afford it, but really couldnt afford not to, either. I'll stick one on the Officiant, one on the groom, and one with a battery powered small shotgun for the music. I'll use my wireless for less critical speaking at the podium. (does that sound like a pretty decent plan?)

I also picked up two of the non powered Giant Squid omnis.

Interesting information ( I think) that defies logic:
I called Darren at GS before ordering, to make sure he could get them here in time for my first wedding, and learned that a battery powered lav gets a 15db quiter signal than a non powered lav. I would have thought the opposite, but it was indeed proven true to me earlier in the day....I went to Radio Shack and picked up one of their battery powered condenser lav's, and when I tested it against the cheap AT lav's that came with my Pro88W wireless kits, it didnt pick up from as far, and didnt even pick up off axis despite it being an omni. It was simply a weaker signal. I returned it, came back and checked this thread and read some at VU, and made my moves.

Thank you guys a lot...you all made a real time difference in my decisions today that will have a lasting effect on my work for the better!

Daniel
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:29 AM   #11
Trustee

Daniel congrats on your new purchases of the IRIvers. Your setup looks fine to me as that is my normal setup for ceremonies now.
Just a heads up, that if there is a podium for readings and a mic stand (which there usually always is), you can tape the IRiver to the top of the podium and attach a lav mic to the mic stand instead of using wireless at all.

Also for recording music at the reception, make sure that you have a Stereo Mic for the IRiver as you will get great sound with that setup.

I would recommend either the AT822 ( $ 249.95) (battery powered), or AT825 ( $ 339.95) (phantom powered) mics with an XLR to mini plug cable. They are a bit pricey but the spound quality of these 2 mics are excellent.
Or if you are micing up monitor speakers, look at the Sennheiser e604 drum mic (no battery power needed). It's small and can withstand the sound of a jet engine without clipping. You can find these on ebay for about $80.
The 822 is almost identical to the 825 except for being battery powered only and has a slightly lower pickup radius.
I have gotten both of my 822's on Ebay for a great price, or check B&H.

Michael
LVProductions
Old April 26th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #12
New Boot

Michael, Have you had any problems with the AT822 distorting? I just bought mine to get an stereo recording of a rock band in a small club, and although my meters were set correctly, everytime the band was playing the recording is distorted. I am guessing that this mic is just too sensitive to handle the sound pressure in the small club. Anyone else having this problem? Can anyone recommend a similar mic that can handle the pressure?
Bryan Spinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #13
Trustee

Bryan, I have had no trouble with distortion and the AT822 and my IRiver.
Where is you mic placement in relation to the speakers. If you are too close the sound will distort somewhat. Also try setting the recording volume around 35-40 in a very loud environment like a club.
I would recommend you use soemthing like the Seinheiser E604 which is better for very loud environments, since it is a drum mic and can take sound input as loud as a jet engine.
I use the Seinheiser E604 when I am monitoring very loud speakers, like when a DJ or band is playing.
The AT822 is great for live recording where the sound level isn't deafening.
Try lowering the input level next time when you use the AT822, since it runs hot although noy as hot as the ME66.

Michael
LVProductions
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #14
New Boot

Thanks Michael, I'll look into the E604. I was recording to my Marantz compact flash recorder so was watching the levels, then weren't peaking, I think the mic was just getting overloaded. This was a very small club so even setting up in the back of the room I was only 30 ft from the PA. Looks like I save the 822 for when I'm not being deafened.

Do you generally put the E604 right on the PA or do you set it up farther back in the room?
Bryan Spinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #15
Trustee

"Do you generally put the E604 right on the PA or do you set it up farther back in the room?"

I generally place the E604 on a mic stand with the boom fully extended and either behind teh speaker and the boom extended over the top of the speaker with the mic facing down. Or if it's not a stacked system and teh speakers on a stand then I will place the mic either next to the monitor or the same configuration as stacked, except the boom is extended under the speaker and the mic is placed upwards.

This mic can take a ponding so the only thing you really want to watch is the record levels, to make sure there is no clipping. Always better to be a bit too low than too loud.

"Looks like I save the 822 for when I'm not being deafened."
Yeah the 822 is great especially for recording live acoustic music. I have a wedding coming up in June that will have a string quartet for the ceremony, and I'm looking forward to using my 822 there. It's also terrific for ambiant sound recording, as I use this as my shotgun mic on my VX2100 when I don't need having the wireless plugged in and have both channels free for the 822. As I said also, I have had great success just plugging into my IRivers for ambiant audio.

Michael
LVProductions
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques