DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   highlights/demo - review? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/42172-highlights-demo-review.html)

Mike Cook April 1st, 2005 12:35 AM

highlights/demo - review?

Ola!

I've finished my first wedding. Wow, do I have a lot to learn. I've put together a highlights/demo for future sales and would like some feedback.

I only have this wedding to pull clips from and it was very unconventional. No church, no flowers, no reception to speak of. With all that in mind, have a look and be honest!

http://www.motionfish.com/APEX.html

Cheers and thanks, I've learned soo much on this forum already, I look forward to giving back.

Mike Cook

Bob Costa April 1st, 2005 03:06 AM

Re: highlights/demo - review?

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Cook : Ola!

I've finished my first wedding. Wow, do I have a lot to learn.

[snip]

Cheers and thanks, I've learned soo much on this forum already, I look forward to giving back.

Mike Cook -->>>

You mean "Wow, did I learn a lot", don't you? :)

And when you are new, you can share your screwups, so thw rest of don't feel all alone.

WIll try to look at your clip later on in day.

Jeff Bradt April 1st, 2005 10:06 AM

Very nice Mike. I liked it. I thought you used your effects well but they were not over used. Good moving shots. Except for a few brief moments they were pretty smooth. Did you use any steady device on the moving shots? I loved the soft musical transition into the ceremony. Real "money shot" of the boy after the rings. Good job. - Jeff

Jason Bowers April 1st, 2005 04:38 PM

Hi Mike,
That was good for your first job. The couple must have been impressed. As a demo video to clients I have noticed if you have captured a good set of vows and can play them as a background audio over your transitions the women love this. In my town this is rarely done and I gain more business because of it. You have a good eye and the child shot was terrific. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing with us.

Young Lee April 1st, 2005 05:56 PM

I liked it. How long did it take to deliver it?

Mike Cook April 1st, 2005 10:01 PM

First, thanks for taking the time to have a look and give some input.

Jeff: I mostly was hand held but there are a few shots that I used a glide cam on. You most likely picked those out, huh?

Jason: I have excellent audio and that is a great suggestion. Off to remaster the audio now.......

Young: I delivered the finished version about six weeks after the wedding. The date on the demo does not apply....I think that is where you were going with that..

Thanks again!

Mike

Michael Dempsey April 2nd, 2005 02:11 PM

That was excellent. The only possible constructive criticism I could offer was that the video faded out way before the audio BUT if that's all I could find it must be good.

I noticed one part where the B&G were walking up an incline and I knew you were moving also but it appeared smooth as could be and then I figured out how, you were in step with them, as soon as you were walking at a different pace I could then see them going up and down. (not a critique, just an observation) Took me a few seconds to figure it out.

Again, well done.

Mike Cook April 2nd, 2005 08:50 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

On that shot the glide cam helped a bit.......it really lends itself well to the wedding thing. That floaty look seems to work well.

Mike

Michael Dempsey April 3rd, 2005 11:20 AM

How much is the glide cam ? I'm contemplating something like that or maybe making one.

Jason Bowers April 3rd, 2005 04:37 PM

I purchased my glidecam 4000pro for $365 on ebay. I think they sell for $499 new but there are some people on ebay that have them new for $379. It's hard to use at first but once you get used to it the shots are quite amazing

Mike Cook April 3rd, 2005 05:58 PM

Skip the building part. I tried it, wasted about $150 and then just bought the Glidecam. I am fairly handy with fabricating but it is very difficult to get the gimble right.

I think I did the ebay thing for something like $400.

practice lots.

Mike