Use of Shot List at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Use of Shot List

I've read about using a shot list for the wedding day. Can you share with me more about the list? Is it the basics and the same for every job and just a way to be sure you don't miss something important? Or is it a list that is fine tuned and specific for each job? I just put together a list for my first wedding coming up on Saturday but any advice would be appreciated. If you wanted to post your shot list or send a sample one to me, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:41 PM   #2
Major Player

WHatever you do, discuss it with your clients. Make sure that if they have some special thing planned (toast from uncle bob, special reading by a grandparent, whatever) that you have it on your shot list.

If you have to write "ceremony" on your shot list, get another job. :) But you may want to think about what you want to get before you get there (exterior of church, bride arrival, couple getting in limo, church empty before ceremony, empty reception hall, bridal bouquet, gift table, receiving line, whatever). But the client's shot list is more important.

I am sure some wedding guys will chime in here too, and maybe they have a basic one for you to build on. But think about your own list while you wait, it will make you a better videographer and you will be more likely to find things the list-giver never thought of. It will probably be a big list so start writing.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input John. Yes, I started yesterday and I have about 4 pages of shots. Some are basic like the cake...and others are things like decorations, establishing shots of reception location and stuff like that. Do you guys actually use this list to check off shots you don't want to miss? That's probably a good idea for me as a beginner.
- Jeff
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I would say that for your first few weddings your emphasis should be on making sure your equipment is working properly and doing a decent job of capturing the obvious activities, plus using any slow periods to get various shots of things like decorations, the food table, etc. I don't use a "shot list" as such but do keep an idea in my head of what I want to record, then pay close attention at all times and be ready to go if anything important happens. As you're recording the basic events, be sure to capture different angles and close-ups of little details, as this can make the difference between a boring finished video and an artistic one. But don't get too carried away with anything until you're sure you can do a competent job of simply recording the day's events.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Very good advice Kevin. Thank you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques