DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Question about configuring Clear-Com for multi-channel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/424325-question-about-configuring-clear-com-multi-channel.html)

Les Wilson September 21st, 2009 05:49 PM

Question about configuring Clear-Com for multi-channel

I am having trouble understanding the Clear-Com manual. I am resurrecting an MS-400A base station for a High School control room. This unit has 4 independent channels for audio/video/lighting/production. I was wondering if I could, at times, configure multiple channels to act as one so that everyone is on just one channel.

The relevant part of the manual reads:

Programming Channel Access
The set of recessed DIP switches that are labelled "Talk" (8) allows each
channel's INTERCOM SELECT button (9) to be programmed for Talk access, as well as the usual Listen access that button controls. These switches are set OFF at the factory, so that Talk access is normally controlled only by TALK toggle switch (10). If the operator requires both Talk and Listen access when the Intercom Select button is engaged, set the talk pre-sets ON for the channel(s) desired.

I have a feeling this only lets the base station operator talk/listen on multiple channels. Any help is appreciated ... TIA

Kevin Fox September 24th, 2009 02:47 PM

Les:

I have the CC-222 system (2 chan), but I suspect things are the same with the four chan. On the 222, you have two separate channels (A and B). On the base station ONLY, you can talk/listen to either and/or both. You also have a switch to COMBINE channels, thereby creating a "One Channel" system. I suspect you could find a combination of dipswitch settings to make all channels available to all parties, but I think the sticking point may be your "at times" part. Most likely you will have to live with all or none. You should be correct in assuming that the base station has complete versatility.

I have, however, been wrong before.....

Best,

kfox

Les Wilson September 24th, 2009 03:01 PM

Ya, my "at times" meant I would want to reconfigure it without re-plugging cables and beltpacks. Rather, as you describe of reconfiguring the base station switches. I've since got the unit up and running and with some experimenting, discovered the configuration I wanted. Eventually I'll want to understand it better to make it bend to my will at a moments notice. If I recall, I left the hidden dip switches at the factory default and pushed in both channel main buttons and set the Talk toggle switches on both to ON. Thanks for the post, it makes it worth experimenting with to understand how it works.

Les Wilson October 5th, 2009 11:32 AM

Just a follow-up post for any who finds this later. I mis-interpreted my initial results. The only way to have everyone able to talk to everyone is to use Y-cables at the base station and put everyone on the same channel.