PD170 questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 19th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PD170 questions

I currently own a DVX100a and am thinking about picking up a PD170 and using the DVX as a backup. I read some reviews that mentioned the PD170 isn't very easy to use manually. He said you really have to search around for the buttons. I've haven't shot with the camera myself yet, but I was wondering if I can get some of your guys opinions on how easy it is to use.

Also, a wedding videographer I talked to said he shot with the PD150 and whenever he adjusted the iris, the shutter speed would also change and mess up his shots. Does the PD170 also do this?

Thanks
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've been using the 150s for well over 3 years and have shot in excess of 165 weddings with them (as well as many many corporate type events). They are like any other camera, once you learn HOW to use it, it becomes second nature and very simple to use.
To me, the buttons are very easy to find and frankly I don't even have to look for them I just know where they are (you will also after some practice and time with the camera).
As for the shutter speed changing when your friend changes the iris, yes, this will happen WHEN the camera is NOT in a fully manual mode. That means, ALL of the shooting controls, IRIS,SHUTTER and GAIN NEED to be set in manual. It sounds like he has his shutter set to auto and therefore when he closes or opens the iris the shutter speed will change to compensate and adjust for proper exposure.

I feel the 150/170 is great for fast moving events like weddings and such, great image,good control on the camera, easy to operate BUT like any other new piece of gear some time is needed to get to learn it, get to know it and get to love it.

Spend some time going thru the manual and shoot some tape in EVERY possible configuration you can think off and you too will join the ranks of 150/170 lovers. :-)

Good luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with everything Don said except to add that adjusting audio levels are a slight inconvenience. Last year we used GL2s and adjusting audio was simple. The PD170 wants you to press the Audio Level button and then select the channel before adjusting levels. Not hard but I miss that simple and direct control feature from the GL2.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 06:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I just recieved mine today. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. I still like the DVX better, but after playing with the gain in a near dark room, I feel much more comfortable using the PD170 for event videography.
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques