Custom Transitions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 26th, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1
New Boot

Custom Transitions

I am posting this mostly as a curiosity.

I am a wedding videographer and I was looking for something to set my videos above the rest. I have seen a lot of videos and I think there are many very talented people in this line of work. I just wanted a little kicker that gave my compnay a boost above the rest.

One day I was showing a video that I did to a friend of mine. I pointed out to him how well my xl2 capture the motion of doves flying around the couple. My friend out of the blue asked if I wanted more doves. He explained that his CGI skills could produce a nice effect.

Long story short we came up with the idea of making a set of transitions that are wedding specific CGI. They are not cheesy effects. My friend is a professional working on a major CGI film in LA.

What we recently discovered is that in order to make his work earn him the money he deserves for his work is to sell the transitions as a package. That means I had to give up the idea of having an entirely unique tool.

Anyway, we were wondering if there was a market for such a thing. I thought the best place to look would be here, where all the wedding professionals gather.

The question is, if there were a wedding specific, high quality library of transitions available would any of you be in the market for them?

I imagine the first question I will get is "Can we see them?" Yes, but not yet. We are putting them on a website soon. I will notify this thread as soon as I get them up.
Lars Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Barlow
I am posting this mostly as a curiosity.

I am a wedding videographer and I was looking for something to set my videos above the rest. I have seen a lot of videos and I think there are many very talented people in this line of work. I just wanted a little kicker that gave my compnay a boost above the rest.

One day I was showing a video that I did to a friend of mine. I pointed out to him how well my xl2 capture the motion of doves flying around the couple. My friend out of the blue asked if I wanted more doves. He explained that his CGI skills could produce a nice effect.

Long story short we came up with the idea of making a set of transitions that are wedding specific CGI. They are not cheesy effects. My friend is a professional working on a major CGI film in LA.

What we recently discovered is that in order to make his work earn him the money he deserves for his work is to sell the transitions as a package. That means I had to give up the idea of having an entirely unique tool.

Anyway, we were wondering if there was a market for such a thing. I thought the best place to look would be here, where all the wedding professionals gather.

The question is, if there were a wedding specific, high quality library of transitions available would any of you be in the market for them?

I imagine the first question I will get is "Can we see them?" Yes, but not yet. We are putting them on a website soon. I will notify this thread as soon as I get them up.
I am sure you could market them. There are at least 3 companies that come to mind that deal with custom transitions and animiations for event videography. Rab Byte, Digital Hotcakes and a few others. Some are cheesy effects buy some are very nice. Making your own takes a long time, I use to make animations with After Effects and it's not a fast process. Buying them is definately worth it.

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Still Motion

If they are quality effects, and especially if they are very useful for weddingh videography, there will be a market for them without a doubt. Your price for the package and marketing will be two big variables, possibly making them available individually as well as a package.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

one thign about custom transitions is that there arent any unless u design them urself using alpha masks or u have the cg skill to create full screen wipes which is what i think ur gettin at..

digital juice make the best ones at teh moment, but 12 inch design are releasing their soon too.. so we'll have to wait and see..

one thing about price.. wedding videogeaphers here in aus a re tightbunch and wont spend more than 400 bux on something like this..

hell tehy wont even spen d150 on a copy of particle illusion se...

i dunno about other markets though...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the replies.

My next question is, What kind of price would be appropriate for a library of some 40-50 transitions, high res, wide and standard, alpha key included, be?

I realize that any price is an estimate or opinion. I would just like to know.
Lars Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

well u can get spcemaster for less than 200US now and that in itself lets u use your own alphas and with some clever design, u can get some really nifty animated results... not to mention that these are all customisable as oppsed to using preset video clips with a transparency.

Dont get me wrong, i think this sort of material is needed, as there is an influx of garbage hollywood fx type crap out there... not to mention the more of these there are, th emor options and theme choices we have, as well as forcing down prices of the competitors as some (such as digital juice) charge stupidly high prices....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Probably you and your friend should get a copy of Digital Juice Wedding Editors Toolkit. It's $399 and full of stuff.

If what you see in there doesn;t make you cringe in fear then go for it. The prices for standard definition continue to plummet so if you do anything keep your on the HD space.
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques