Cable Adapters for iRiver/Mixer Board at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cable Adapters for iRiver/Mixer Board

I plan to use an iRiver 795 to capture sound off of the mixer boards from churches and DJs. Could anyone give me some advice on which type of adapter ends I'll need for these types of connections, and also, where to purchase them from?

Thanks of any help,

Kevin
Kevin Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:55 PM   #2
Major Player

If your plugging directly into the boards with the iriver you'll need a short 1/8" male to 1/4" female adapter. From that you need a 1/4" male to 1/4" male cable (3ft should be enough). This will connect you to most boards.

Next you need cables to connect to xlr outputs. So you'll need a 1/4" male to XLR male cable/adapter. Then a short piece of XLR cable. That will connect you to the rest of the boards that the 1/4" won't.

Next you'll want an in-line attenuator so that if you pull a line level output it doesn't distort the iriver signal. Shure makes some nice one's that have adjustable padding. Here's a link to one of the dvinfo sponsors that carries one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68600&is=REG Connecting the pad to the xlr setup is easy, but to connect it to the 1/4" setup you need to convert the 1/4" signal to xlr, insert the pad, then convert it back to a 1/4" line. That will require some additional adapters. A female xlr to female xlr turnaround, another short 1/4" male to xlr male cable/adapter, and a 1/4" female to 1/4" male cable.

The iriver says that it has a line level input but I question it's ability to pad a full line level signal off a dj board (it's always extremely hot). The pad will ensure a clean signal.

I believe that all of those cables can be purchased from the dvinfo sponsors. If you can't find it on their sites, search the web for some av tech suppliers.

I know it takes a lot of stuff to connect one simple device, but if you want to make sure that you have access to any feed you'll need every piece of it.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ben, thanks so much for replying. Great information, it makes perfect sense. Thank you again.

Kevin
Kevin Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:59 PM   #4
Major Player

And of course if you want stereo....
Bob Costa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques