DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Getting ready? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/43984-getting-ready.html)

Bob Harotunian May 3rd, 2005 12:21 PM

Getting ready?

More brides have been asking to have their "Getting Ready" taped this year. I've got a little problem figuring out the logistics though and was wondering what others are doing.

I've determined that I need at least 30 minutes to setup at the church. If the bride is a 1/2 hour from the church and she wants me taping the getting ready to the last minute, what would you do? Leave an hour before the ceremony or have any of you actually setup at the church beforehand? (Of course I could just beam over to the church if I knew how).
Bob

Glen Elliott May 3rd, 2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Harotunian
More brides have been asking to have their "Getting Ready" taped this year. I've got a little problem figuring out the logistics though and was wondering what others are doing.

I've determined that I need at least 30 minutes to setup at the church. If the bride is a 1/2 hour from the church and she wants me taping the getting ready to the last minute, what would you do? Leave an hour before the ceremony or have any of you actually setup at the church beforehand? (Of course I could just beam over to the church if I knew how).
Bob

Bob, you have to give yourself plenty of time to get all the prep shots you need BEFORE the photographer arrives and enough remaining time to get to the church with AMPLE time to set up all your cams, tripods, audio equipment, etc; plus setting up cameras- audio levels, white balance, etc. I stress "AMPLE" because you have to take into account traffic and other non-avoidable issues that might arise during your travels.

You have to let the client know what time you are able to do the prep sequences in order to still get to the church in time. If it's going to be a squeeze, the bride wants you to get there at the last minute which leaves you with less time than you find possible logistically, I'd graciously turn it down. After all it's your tail on the line if you can't get to the church on time, etc. There are always variables that affect the schedule like traffic for example. You have to take that into account when mapping out the times/agenda of the day.

I schedule 1 hour for prep shooting, starting at least 2 hours before the ceremony start (baring the church is nearby- extra if it's further). That way once I'm done my hour of prep shooting I can head over to the church and get all my gear set up,

So in a nutshell: a) Give yourself enough time to get all the prep shots you require, taking into account brides are NEVER on time...lol b) Get it all or the majority done before the photographer arrives...c) Leave with enough time to travel to the church AND set up all your gear in preparation for the ceremony start, giving yourself enough slack for any possible non-avoidable motor vehicle related delays.

Convey all this clearly to your client. Sometimes it requires the bride getting in her dress and preping a bit earlier to make it happen. Usually the client won't have a problem because they are indeed interested in the prep montage to begin with.

Don Bloom May 3rd, 2005 01:44 PM

In most cases when I do prep I have another camera operator starting at the ceremony venue about 1 hour prior to the start of the ceremony. So if I need to stay with the bride, her family and the girls I can. In my experience most ceremonies don't start until the bride has ben there at least 15 minutes. I have to rush a bit but so far with the 2nd cam op there it relieves me of the setup shots so I can go in and get my gear set and ready.
However, there have been some where I'm not using a 2nd operator so it's a bit of a rush. Most of the ones I've done solo with the prep, both the photog and I tell the bride we need to have enough time to get to the ceremony and also get some stuff of the guys before hand (usually at the church) and for the most part they are pretty good about that and have started the get ready a little earlier.
Because I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and hate the rushing around I no longer will do the prep without having a 2nd operator which of course they pay for, simply because one day it's going to happen. Run late at the get ready and ooops! No time to set up.
I agree with Glen, communicate with the bride before hand and most if not all will try to help adjust the timeline. Hey they want good footage too!
Don

P.S. Bring a towel to wipe the sweat off your forehead while your running ;-)

Don

Bob Harotunian May 3rd, 2005 07:27 PM

Thanks Glen and Don. Your replies help confirm what I was planning on doing...bail out of the prep before it's too late. There's enough stress on wedding day without having to drive to the church like a pizza delivery guy. A setup person would be great but, unfortunately, I don't have that option.
Bob