would you turn down a gig based on the photog? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 1st, 2009, 10:06 PM   #16
Major Player
Just a little aside...

Originally Posted by Aaron J. Yates View Post
The same thing happened on their staged exit... they had to hand out birdseed again and redo the whole scene.
snopes.com: Rice Bad for Birds
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:12 AM   #17
Regular Crew
I've shot a maybe 150 weddings, and I can count the number of bad experiences with photographers on one hand. But, I don't think I've had a experience bad enough that would cause me to turn down a gig.

If I know I'm working with someone that may cause problems, I'm extra clear ahead of time about letting them know how I work and we're I'll be. I also tell the B&G that I'll need time for a "Formal Video" session. Because most weddings are pressed for time as it is, I don't ask for a ton of time, maybe 15 - 20 minutes. I always add pad time (I know it will often run into a time crunch and can get what I want in 10 minutes if I have to). For those couples that value video over photos (yes, there are some) I will ask for more time and again, I tell the photographer ahead of time to avoid any possible run-ins.

On a positive note, I think that almost all the photographers I work with hate formals, but it's a big part of their job. I feel for them, they have to become quasi drill instructors, getting people who rather be chatting and drinking into formation for a bunch of photographs.

I find that when I begin the "formal video" session, they love it. If gives them a chance to grab some nice candids and they seem to really like some of the shots we line up. It's actually helped my relationship with photographers rather than strained it.
William Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM   #18
Inner Circle
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
-When I found out that someone had stolen my H2 after the ceremony I mentioned it to the B&G. I saw a concerned look on their face until that was interrupted by the photog saying "ohh... Moving on...
H2? Recorder or HUMMER?!?!?!
Shaun C. Roemich Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC - Videographer - Webcaster
www.roaddogmedia.ca Blog: http://roaddogmedia.wordpress.com/
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques