would you turn down a gig based on the photog? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Major Player

would you turn down a gig based on the photog?

Would you guys ever turn down a wedding based on the photographer. I've gotten around to editing a wedding where I'm now remembering just what a pain in my _ _ _ the photog really was...

-Her and her assistant basically gave me 0 respect.

-45minutes into the photo shoot I decided to set my own shot since hers were laking on the creativity... She was kind enough to remind me during the shot that we really dont have time for this kind of thing and that they are behind schedule. Only to take another 45min to an hour setting up again "un creative" pose here and pose there shots.

-When I found out that someone had stolen my H2 after the ceremony I mentioned it to the B&G. I saw a concerned look on their face until that was interrupted by the photog saying "ohh... Moving on... Can you do this and this for me?"

-The 0 respect thing is what killed me the most. I hate being treated sub-par like I'm less of a person because I shoot video.

I just made a promise to never work with this photographer again. This isn't my full time job so i'm not relying on the money as a part of my income. I already have a stressful job and dont need to add onto it when I'm doing what I like (video)... Sorry guys just venting.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I know this subject comes up all the time, seems like lately there has been a rash of bad photog-videographer relations.

One way I have been able to avoid and bad blood with the photog, is to never shoot the photo session, or maybe just shoot a few minutes of it and then take my leave. Honestly I don't know why people shoot the photo session anyway.

I tell all my clients up front that we don't shoot it and many of them prefer it that way, I have never once had a couple complain that there was no photo session coverage.

If you want some beauty shots tell the couple ahead of time to let the photographer know that you will need a few minutes with them, it sounds much better coming from the bride than from you. And I'm sure Travis C will chime in here and tell you to always call the photog before the wedding and introduce yourself, it works wonders for me!

Oh, I guess I should answer your question, no I would not turn down a job because of the photog, sometime you just have to plow through!
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Trustee

I guess I disagree with Chad.

If you don't need the gig, why stress yourself out and force yourself to do a job you know you will hate?

Move on and book someone else, or take the weekend off. Go out on a date with your wife...
Old September 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Chad...

I much rather take 10 minutes all on my own to set my own shots up. But looking back on most of my past weddings, it really wouldn't have worked out. It's a great idea... But the priority will almost always go to the photographer. Timing is always stressful and I wouldn't expect a photog to respect my time at the end.
I always keep in mind that the "photo shoot" is there's and not mind. When there not working with particular group (ie groomsmen and groom) I use that as my time to set something up.
I do contact the photographer before the wedding. That helps break the ice. Most I've worked with have been above Awesome. But there's always a few, and those are the ones I cant stand.

Vito... I would/will do just what you suggested. At least my wife would be happy :-)

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Stephen,

Do the right thing, don't take the job especially when you are going to be stress and fighting all day to get any creative shots and your video is not going to present your work.
I would also tell the B&G why you are turning down the shoot.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Trustee

The formal photo shoot time is a good time to get candid shots of the guests, family and the activity on scene. Shots of people interacting, shots of children playing, even shots of the setup activity at the venue can add a great deal of visual interest that goes a long way in reliving the day for the B&G. It's important to keep in mind that they are missing a lot of their own wedding because they are such captive participants. It's very meaningful for the B&G to be able to see a well documented video production of their wedding.

From a video point of view, the photographer's photo shoot generally makes for pretty dry video. You might want to take a few shots of the photo shoot just for completeness of the coverage. But if you use most of this time taking shots of everything that is going on with the guests, family and venue, you will have a better and more complete production that the B&G will enjoy and appreciate.

The photographer generally considers the photo shoot as his or her space. If you are too much in the middle of things, the photographer may respond with an attitude that is less than pleasant. You can set up a separate time for some scripted or posed shots of the B&G if you wish. We want photographers to be considerate of us and it's reasonable for them to expect some consideration from us as well.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Just my opinion but I have a couple of photographers I will not work with. As a videographer there are shots you going to want and you need time to do it. 90% of the time the photographer is behind me shooting away anyways. But you do get the odd photographer who doesn't respect your work and continues to walk in your shot and spend way too much time shooting things that don't make sense. But on the other hand when you get a photographer that really knows their stuff and can actually help you out when you shoot the couple and the preps.
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Still Motion

if a couple or somebody at a wedding is going to hold you back, and it seems like while this photographer is certainly doing that, it is also leaving you uninspired, i think it is your duty to turn the job down. the industry doesn't need more people taking on work they don't want and just banging it out. we need more people being in love with what they do and having a passion for what they are shooting so we can all continue to elevate the industry. if you needed the income, that would of course come into your decision, but even with that, how many jobs will that bring in if your not inspired to shoot it. take all the time you would have spent on that one film and i am sure you will find something you could do for your films or business that would bring in more revenue in the long run.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Vito, you are a smart man, being a newlywed myself, I guess I still have a few things to learn:) On a good note, the photographer at the wedding I shot tonight was awesome, he let me try some of his L series lenses and we chatted it up all night.

I really wish every photographer was like that, but when I get the odd jackass I usually just keep in mind that its his/her own insecurities at work and don't take it personally. On the other hand, Patrick has a good point, why stress yourself if you don't have to.
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I agree with all of the other posts. I'll always ask when booking who their photographer is. If it's someone that I don't work well with, I'll politely turn it down explaining the situation. I'd rather not shoot a wedding then shoot something I can't get creative.
Ian VanCattenburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #11
Major Player

Correct chemistry between all the participants of a wedding is necessary if you want to offer a final result the way you want it to be. So, no, I'd never book a wedding if I knew a photographer (or any other "first-line" person) could cause problems to the whole flow. It has happened to us (to turn down a wedding) not only with the photograhers but even with couples that actually demanded to have heavy creative interference in the video editing (no, they didn't have a clue about that stuff, but still...) :)

So, my point is, if there are such elements (be it photograhers or any other person) that reveal that I am not going to enjoy what I will shoot, I won't do it (at least, not anymore).
Dimitris Mantalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I agree with you guys that some photographers are great to work with. I come from a small place so I basically know every photographer in my area. I like having the conversations with photographers about the industry, new gear, etc. And a lot of times we plan shoots together. Some of the photographers are my best friends so I have to watch myself. I think in this industry you really need to leave the ego at the door. And thats the problem with some of the photographers I have worked with. They come to the wedding with their Rebel and kit lens and just because their GF thinks they are the best photographer around they believe it. But this can easily happen to the video side of things as well. Patrick nailed it, and to tell you the truth after meeting with Patrick and discussing the industry I have learned its not always about getting paid. I have denied clients because I know deep down inside it wasn't going to work and no one would have ended up happy. And looking back I have not regret it once. I would shoot a wedding for free if the couple is right and the atmosphere is right over a couple who just paid to have you there because someone told them you need a video. When you feel respected you feel inspired and obligated to do your best for the client.
Jason LeFrense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Let me preface this by pointing out that I don't do weddings however:

Often I do other types of live events, often multicamera live switched events. There is one service provider of a nature I don't choose to disclose that I JUST CAN'T WORK WITH. So I don't. I ask who is providing the <insert discipline here> service and if his/her name comes up, I pass. No questions asked. I explain that we have a history that is non-conducive for me getting what I need so I wouldn't feel right working with this person. The galling thing is that the other party will point out to the client that he/she has NO ISSUES with me, making me seem petty.

Life is too short. Book something else or do as Vito suggests and take a lovely lady (or man depending on your gender and/or preference) out for an evening instead.
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Gotta love these "hate on photog" threads. Most people in my area are very easy to work with -- be it photographers, planners, venue managers, caterers, etc -- but there are always bad apples.

The hardest photographers to work with, in my opinion, are the ones that are just lousy. I worked with a photog recently that just could not get a shot to save his life. We did a bridal reveal down a staircase, and the photog stopped the bride just as the groom was about to turn around because he "can't get my aperture setting right." Turned a potentially moving video moment into garbage. The same thing happened on their staged exit... they had to hand out birdseed again and redo the whole scene.

But several of the photogs I work with regularly actually help me out, and I return the favor. We make sure to find each other if something is happening and the other guy is missing. We tell DJs to hang on while the photog is in the bathroom. We talk and plan the shots so that we each get what we need. These types of people are the true professionals.

I think you have to act like a pro to get treated like one. Show up, be polite, explain your needs, ask if there's anything you can do to help the other guy, and you're usually in good shape for the day.

To answer the question, I probably wouldn't turn down the job, but I might figure out a way to explain to the B&G the types of experiences I've had with a bad photog and warn them about what to expect.
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #15
Trustee

I'd have to agree with others who say if you don't need the work, turn it down. There's no point doing the job if you know it's going to be sub-par because the photographer is causing problems. If you produce something below your regular standard, even though it is not entirely your fault, it will affect your reputation and future opportunities.

I'm lucky enough to do work for a company which offers both videography and photography. The photo guys run the show, but are also extremely accomodating - after every shot, they turn to us and check we've got what we need. Without us having to ask, they will generally say to the couple "Ok I got it but keep walking for the video" or something like that. They make it easy for us to not have to interfere with their work - we never need to jump in and say "sorry but can you do that again" - and as a result we keep out of their way and let them have the priority positions. Everyone's happy, and get's what they need.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques