DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   GL2 Light Set What's good (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/44586-gl2-light-set-whats-good.html)

Harry Lender May 14th, 2005 06:41 PM

GL2 Light Set What's good

I have a Canon GL2. As stated in an earlier post I will be doing a wedding in the late afternoon outdoors at a Gazebo and I am realizing that I may need a good on camera light set that will be good for other events too. I don't want to spend a fortune. Barn doors would be very helpfull. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Harry Lender

Glen Elliott May 15th, 2005 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Lender
I have a Canon GL2. As stated in an earlier post I will be doing a wedding in the late afternoon outdoors at a Gazebo and I am realizing that I may need a good on camera light set that will be good for other events too. I don't want to spend a fortune. Barn doors would be very helpfull. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Harry Lender

The most difficult part is to fullfill the "don't want to spend a fortune". On camera lighting can be fairly expensive, especially if you count the price of external battery/belt packs or what have you. I highly suggest the Frezzi Mini Dimmer. It gan go as high as 100watts and you can dial in the exact amount of light you need. If shooting outdoors I suggest picking up the daylight filter for it (bluish colored glass). It'll help balance it for use in daylight- like in your use with the outdoor wedding in the gazebo.

When you do a search on B&H you'll find so many styles of the Frezzi Mini Dimmer but I suggest investing in the one that uses 4-pin XLR due to it's ruggedness and strength when connected to a power source. The car lighter styles of power cords can pull out very easily. The XLR locks in just like your familiar 3-pin XLR for audio equipment.

Harry Lender May 15th, 2005 08:54 AM

For Glen

Thank you for the advice. I failed to add in my post is that I hope to, at a later date, purchase a Canon XL2. Should be able to use the lights with it also. Anyway I'll do some seaching as you advised. June 10th is the wedding so I have alittle time. The toughest concern is trying to find the proper angles for the two cameras. It's a challenge.
Thanks Again

Harry Lender

Jason Stowell May 16th, 2005 02:38 PM

lights with barndoors and a stand are overpriced by about $120. i guess by saying that they're used for movie/ video they can get away with charging ridiculous prices. i mean with home depot, lowes, the wal mart fabric section, cheap mic stands and a little bit of creativity, one can reproduce a $150 barndoor light set up with a stand for around $20-$30. a light is a light unless of course you're the incredible mister ed.

stowell...