DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   what lens in a wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/44806-what-lens-wedding.html)

Chris Fritsche May 18th, 2005 10:20 AM

what lens in a wedding

I just bought a XL-2, I have the 20X and an adapter for a Canon 100-400. obviously I won't use that one in the church, but will the 20X be ok or should I hurry my delivery date for my 3X wide?

David Lach May 18th, 2005 12:47 PM

Just a thought Chris, have you considered getting a full zoom through WA adapter instead of the 3x?

It appears more practical to me for run-and-gun stuff, as you can leave it on at all times. Plus I've heard there were some back focus issues with the 3x and XL2. That might have been fixed by Canon on newer releases though.

To top it off, the 20x is one quality piece of glass and its stabilizing system is in a class of its own. So even if you think you don't need OIS for wide shots, it will always look better than none for handheld work. It's less critical of course, but it's less chances to screw up a shot, which I'd think is kind of key for wedding videography.

Chris Fritsche May 18th, 2005 12:55 PM

What is the WA adapter you are talking about?
Is there a link, or does this describe many lens?

David Lach May 18th, 2005 01:08 PM

I meant wide angle adapter. Century Optics make one. Check it out here.

Chris Fritsche May 18th, 2005 01:27 PM

So does that adapter mount on the from of the 20X or between the 20X and the body?

David Lach May 18th, 2005 01:47 PM

It mounts directly to the front of the lens. This one has full zoom through capabilities, meaning you can leave it on all the time and zoom throughout the whole focal range without losing focus. But if you don't need it, you can simply take it off. It takes 5 seconds. And it takes less room in your carrying bag than a full blown 3x lens (and it costs less too).

Peter Jefferson May 18th, 2005 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lach
Just a thought Chris, have you considered getting a full zoom through WA adapter instead of the 3x?

It appears more practical to me for run-and-gun stuff, as you can leave it on at all times. Plus I've heard there were some back focus issues with the 3x and XL2. That might have been fixed by Canon on newer releases though.

To top it off, the 20x is one quality piece of glass and its stabilizing system is in a class of its own. So even if you think you don't need OIS for wide shots, it will always look better than none for handheld work. It's less critical of course, but it's less chances to screw up a shot, which I'd think is kind of key for wedding videography.

What he said...
i fail to see the need of the .3 with so many adapters available nowadays at the fraction of the cost.

If you want to expand ur glass collection, if anything, id say go grab urself an EF adapter and a couple of EF lenses. Youd be surprised at the results..

Chris Fritsche May 19th, 2005 02:50 PM

Thanks for the advice, When you say wide angle though, are you meanin gthat it gives me more of a panoramic feel or does it just increase the vertical and horizontal areas, ( I know that sounds weird, but I can't seem to find any pictures or snap shots to compare with the lens or without the lens).. do you know any wed site that does this?

David Lach May 19th, 2005 02:57 PM

It doesn't change the ratio of the image, that would be the purpose of an anamorphic adapter. This is a wide angle adapter, meaning it'll increase your field of view by 30% on both axis. You'll see more of everything, if you will.

Go here. They give an example of the difference to the right of the page.

Peter Jefferson May 20th, 2005 05:11 AM

at .3 you may notice some distortion, .5 is ideal for detail and zoomability (ie u dont lose as much geography between the lens and the zoom subject) .7.. well these days i really dont see a real need for this apart from price..

Matthew Ebenezer May 22nd, 2005 07:45 PM

The standard 20x for weddings has worked great for me. The stabilizer is amazing and the zoom is great - sometimes you need to get in real tight in a hurry to catch that special moment.

I just received my 3x wide angle the other day and I love it as well - especially for 16 x 9 stuff - amazing!!. However, I can see its application being for more staged shots where you have more control over the action. For example, I'll be looking to use the 3x wide angle for the next bridal prep I shoot - it'll come in real handy in the tight spaces etc ... where you don't have much room to move.

The 3x wide angle is expensive though - and you need a minute or so to change it over (provided you have it right next to you).

Thanks,

Matthew.