Newbie to Weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 4th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi to all I am new to taking wedding videos, and i will be taking my first video on october i will be using a gl2. im planning to put an iriver to the b/g but i learned from this thread that it is better if i also have a recorder for the ambient sound...? where do you usually put the recorder for the ambience? thanks to all.
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I just got done doing another wedding (ceremony only) and I dropped a small mike from the balcony. The balcony goes over a little bit of the audience and picked up pretty good sound.
Old August 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Silva Jr.
Hi to all I am new to taking wedding videos, and i will be taking my first video on october i will be using a gl2. im planning to put an iriver to the b/g but i learned from this thread that it is better if i also have a recorder for the ambient sound...? where do you usually put the recorder for the ambience? thanks to all.
Here's how I do it.. It may be right it may be wrong but it seems to work for me..

Sony PD-150 with Sennheiser Wireless G2 kit, Senn ME66/K6 Shotgun on channel two.. I use channel two for the ambient and well it also does a very good job of the vows at a great distance..

Anyways.. I use a shurt omni directional mic on camera two and the onboard shotgun on camera two.. So I have 4 channels of audio to choose from.. ME66 does well for ambiet and the shure I think does the best because it's omni rather than directional..

just my 2 cents.
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #19
Regular Crew

2nd Go around =o

okay another wedding a it trickier, bride and preacher gave me free roaming during ceremony, i told the bride with only one camera, I should stay in the back, but tshe says" Matt, your more important than my guests, i want you to get in there, if you have to move or push people around, do it" I was like okay...great... Bit of a different POV for me. But, I think Iam still going to be at the back, and I STILL DON"T have a wireless mike...so Iam running a AT897 up near the couple and I'll catch ambient noise with another mike. Iam hoping this will be mildly better going for me (knock-on-wood).

My last one (2nd) i was helping another videographer with sound....ironic...i know...
But this will be my ACTUAL 2nd weddinng on my own.

Thanks for staying with me through this (I make sound bad ;))
~Matt
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #20
Regular Crew

okies

well so say the least, this wedding was itresting. They were orginall supposed to get married, but hurricane Rita cancled their plans, but they evacuated to thei parents house and still got married, but since they had payed for a lot of things, they still wanted to cermony to go on, so it was a bit weird. You could tell they KNEW what they were doing...Well anyways on to video stuff...

Once again didn't have a wireless mike or a iRiver, so I used the AT897. Is worked really really well. I was about 10 feet away from the couple and during a song you could hear the b/g and the preacher praying, it goes really good together. And yes I did move around, they REALLY wanted me to move around. It was kinda weird, 'cause the kept saying we wanted to have the whole ceremony thing so that is could be recorded and we could look back on it. I was like o, thanks, no pressure or anything... But overall I think it went better than my first go around...next weekend, is my sister's ...yippee.

O one (actualy two) things I realized...
1. You can't have an onboard light and mike at the same time unless you have a splitter that goes into two hot-shoes or something.
2. Get a wireless mike!!!
3. (i know i said 2, but...) another camera would be nice :)
4. a stabalizer ( i have the Tiffen SteadyStick, its nice, but a glidecam could be nicer.
Old November 6th, 2005, 02:12 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sawyers

O one (actualy two) things I realized...
1. You can't have an onboard light and mike at the same time unless you have a splitter that goes into two hot-shoes or something.
2. Get a wireless mike!!!
3. (i know i said 2, but...) another camera would be nice :)
4. a stabalizer ( i have the Tiffen SteadyStick, its nice, but a glidecam could be nicer.
Hey Matt, go to BHPHOTOVIDEO.com and search for a "Mamiya AD402" that will take care of option 1 on your list. I picked two up last year for my GL2's and never looked back. Now that I'm running XL2, I don't have the problem anymore since the camera has a great place to mount a nice boom mic (no I don't use the onboard stereo mic since I don't want 12bit audio and 4 channels).

Get a wireless, no way around it, the Senn ENG 100 series for the price can't be beat since you get 2 TX's and 1 RX, just remember you can't have both transmitters on at the same time or the RF will cancel each other out. With this system you'll have the lav mic for the groom and the plug on for the handheld that you'll use for guest interviews.

I might have another GL2 for sale in the coming weeks if I consider going to a 2nd XL2, the last one was 2k on EBay with a Wide adapter and XLR box.

Glide cams are really nice, I just commented on the other board about some great GC footage; however, you can get the results you need by learning to hold the cam better. I used the SS as well and once I learned that there are better ways to hold the GL2 I never used it again and my entire shake was gone. Now with the XL2 I had to re-learn cam holding but after watching some pro news guys and experimenting a little, I found that I can hold a tight zoom with almost no vibration or movement and with the stabilizer turned on, "FUGETABOUDIT!"

ml

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques