Monopod or tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 1st, 2005, 09:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Monopod or tripod

What do you guys use mostly with your main camera.
Monopod or tripod and why?

Thanks,

Ted
Ted Yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

For MOST weddings my primary camera (the one I'm using) is on a tripod. I will use a monopod when necessary due to size constraints of the venue. I prefer the tripod for any number of reasons.
First, its as rock solid steady as can be. (brides, grooms and I all like that) Second, I don't know about anyone else but I can't hold ANY camera that still that long with only a monopod. I have and use the Bogen 682B which is a monopod with legs. There are feet that screw into the bottom of it and will actually just stand there like a tripod (in theory). Don't get me wrong, I love that monopod, it's saved me many times BUT it's not a tripod so 1) I will never let go of it while any of my cameras are on it and 2) more importantly,because of the nature of the design there is a little bit of sway to the monopod. You can barely see it and it does stop as long as you keep your hands off the monopod. You will however see the sway in the taped image.
So I use a monopod when I have no other choice but I really prefer a tripod

HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Do you use a monopod or other "steadying" device during "run&gun" shooting at the party for example... or do you do those freehand?
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:11 AM   #4
Major Player

I've been using a monopod mostly lately. I have my second camera which is sometimes manned on a tripod and then I use the a monopod because it is easier to move around with . At the reception I use the monopod most of the time. I've found that I can't hold up my DVC-80 for long periods as much as I use to. It takes some time to learn how to use the monopod, but in the long run it will save your shoulders. Of course if I could use a tripod more, I would, but I have found that I move around a little too much for a tripod, especially at the reception.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Depends on the situation but with the smaller cameras I go freehand except for the 1st dances. I do use the monopod as a "steadicam" device. That way I can get the camera up in the air if I want to and with a bit of practice it works out fine. For open dancing though I always go handheld. Generally too many people on the dance floor to use any kind of device.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Here's an article that describes some ways to use a monopod to get more stability. It's written for still cams but still holds for video: http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques