DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Which vendor to share a bridal show booth? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/45910-vendor-share-bridal-show-booth.html)

Tim Borek June 8th, 2005 12:49 PM

Which vendor to share a bridal show booth?

An upcoming bridal show in my area is allowing exhibitors to share booth space. This is a great way to save money, especially given the high fee for a single-day show. If you were going to share a booth, which type of wedding vendor would you prefer?

To me, photographer is an obvious answer, but a DJ company might attract more foot traffic. On the other hand, people love to sample cakes, so maybe a baker would be a better partner.

Decisions, decisions . . . .

T.J.

Bob Costa June 8th, 2005 08:16 PM

I am not sure I would share a booth with a random vendor. I would want someone who I have at least worked with that can rave about my work (and vice-versa) Photographers usually see video as competition (with good reason). DJ's might interfere with your demo if they are playing music. Cakeries might have so many eaters that you can't do business, or maybe all those people want to watch something while they eat. Layout will be crucial, design it like a buffet line that leads right to you, and you both win.

How about partnering with another videographer? If you are in different price ranges, could work out better for both of you. (in-booth cross-referrals, easy to compare price and value).

Matt Sawyers June 9th, 2005 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Costa
I am not sure I would share a booth with a random vendor. I would want someone who I have at least worked with that can rave about my work (and vice-versa) Photographers usually see video as competition (with good reason). DJ's might interfere with your demo if they are playing music. Cakeries might have so many eaters that you can't do business, or maybe all those people want to watch something while they eat. Layout will be crucial, design it like a buffet line that leads right to you, and you both win.

How about partnering with another videographer? If you are in different price ranges, could work out better for both of you. (in-booth cross-referrals, easy to compare price and value).

Tom,

I agree with Bob. Find someone you know or worked with (photographer, videographer tend not to share, cause your competition; although, that's just from experience.) that way you can rant-n-rave about each other and you both win. Just make sure you find out who your vendor your sharing it with before putting the money down. Remember just because a vendor gets a lot of people, doesn't necessarily mean their visitors will be interested in your work. You have to target the right people in the right place. Kind of like when you put your commercial on TV.
Another key is design. Make up some flyers or even a small folder/packet that includes:

1. A flyer about yourself & experiences.

2. A flyer on some helpful info for them on finding the right videographer for their wedding. (you can find this info, by looking through some wedding books at a local library). This will help make it personal, just make sure you can fulfill the requirements. Also include all you business info at the bottom of the flyer.

3. Include an interactive CD-Rom for them. You can use Macromedia Flash for this. E-mail me is you have more questions about this. On my CD-Rom, I have a short video clip at the beginning and then a menu shows up so that they can browse my services and pricing.

4. Include you business card

You can also have a TV set up looping your demo reel if you have one.

Best of luck to ya!
~Matt