My first wedding highlight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 30th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My first wedding highlight

I'd like to give many thanks and credit to Ricci Ocampos who gave me lots of ideas (essentially used his template) for this video. I guess part of making your own work is blending your own ideas with others, and I have to say that If i never saw anyone elses wedding highlight videos my video would without a doubt look 100% different.

I'm posting to get some pointers (I have lots to learn). Since this video I have aquired a glidecam to get smoother money shots and some people will say there is a little overlap with a masking at the start but in order to get that color it had to be there, so im willing to live with it. Thanks in advance.

Password is Wojo

This is a password protected video on Vimeo
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Here are my thoughts. Mostly, I'd recommend working on your shot composition.

Many of the shots are way too close. Back up and give them a bit of distance. I guess it'd be OK if you were going for a "cell phone video" look.

Head and shoulder shots should be OK, but you should use a wide shot first.

Use the rule of thirds. They should pretty much fill the frame, with just a bit of room above their heads. Usually, the eyes should be at the 2/3 line, and they should be off center when shooting 16:9.

Try to keep the camera at their level. If you shoot up, you make them look bigger than life. If you shoot down, you make them look smaller. This is good for psychological effect, but should be used carefully.

Let the people do the moving for the most part, rather than the camera. You can move around more as you gain experience.

The titles are pretty, but not very easy to read. Try to go a little less fancy next time.

I loved the traffic video at the beginning.
Jordan Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Trustee

crawl before walking. walk before running. run before jumping.

Master the tripod before the glidecam. Master the bust / medium before the closeup / ultra wide. Master stationary framing before working with snap zooms / whip pans.

The pacing was pretty darn good. I wasn't a fan of some of the post production effects (ultra blur, and color supersaturation), but I'm not your clients. :-)

I would love to have heard some natural audio or vows, laughing, traffic, etc. That nat audio adds a lot of depth to a production.

Great DOF money shot at 1:45 with the rings & bride.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques