Steadicam or monopods ? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 8th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #46
Major Player

I didn’t read every post, but personally speaking…….I use a the steadicam flyer for weddings. It only takes five-ten minutes to set up w/ a PD-170, RF, Functional VU meter, Low mode, ect. While I agree that basic hand held shots can look very good, some shots are just way too advanced to attempt without a steadicam (compound shots, loooong tracking shots, low shots, shots that require precise framing/footing, shots over rough terrain, ect). Footage shot w/ a steadicam has a distinct look.

I respect Charles a lot, and it’s truly amazing how much weight professionals like Charles can fly under insane amounts of pressure (director, crew, talent all watching). The steadicam customer service manager, who operates $80k steadicams on real Hollywood sets, knows Charles and actually refers to him as a “perfectionist”. We are very lucky to have him on DVINFONET.

-John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #47
Major Player

To discuss support devices in the abstract is like discussing lighting. Of course a full light set-up and a $5K body mount stabilizer are going to give better images in the technical sense. But I think full lighting set-ups and steadicams are inappropriate at most weddings, they are both way too obtrusive. Don't ask other videographers, ask regular folks. Dress up in your steadirig before the shoot and see how many b&gs still want you to wear it for their wedding.
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #48
Major Player

Doug-

I only shoot about 20-30 mins of steadicam at each wedding (more than enough). From that 20-30mins, only one or two shots are live.

I could only see a steadicam being obtrusive if it was used during the cerimony, or in the b&g's face most of the day.

The idea is to offer SC as an option, and after seeing actual steadicam footage, most of my clients dont mind me using it for 20-30 mins. I suppose it depends on the person.

-John
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeLuca
Doug-

I could only see a steadicam being obtrusive if it was used during the cerimony, or in the b&g's face most of the day.

-John
John,

What would your opinion astetically speaking be of running around with a fig rig? Would I 1) Look more like a guy with style using unique cutting edge equiptment or 2) Look more like a guy running around with a stearing wheel with a camera on it?

Forget function, I'm just wondering how goofy it would look. I have contacted Marc on this forum, but I would really value an opinion from someon else like me who does weddings.
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #50
Major Player

Steven,

I think videographers worry to much about what other people think.....use common sense and you should be fine. If I saw a videographer at a wedding with a fig rig, I would think he was simply doing his job with the tools he had available....nothing more.

I honestly don't think the fig rig is any better than advanced hand held techniques. Learning to cradle the camera, or support it by its C.G for example may be better and faster than the fig rig. I would never use a lanc zoom on a hand held stabilizer like the fig rig.....always zoom with your feet because shake is increased the more you zoom.

That said, the fig rig would only be valuable for quick static shots w/no zoom(useful for shorts, vignettes, ect)......no better than cradling the camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=153902

-John
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeLuca
Thanks John.
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #52
Major Player

John, interesting tape but very few details at B&H. Can you give us a better idea of what it covers and who it is aimed at?
also any thoughts on support devices like the DV caddie?
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #53
Major Player

The principals behind the tape apply to all video cameras. It’s aimed at anyone who wants to improve hand held shots.

The most valuable points to a wedding videographer and handycams, would be camera balance, form, and alternative ways to hold the camera.

This goes without saying, but practice is also a factor.

-John
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #54
Major Player

As for the dv caddie....I have a varizoom vz-lsp. Again, you can’t walk without transferring shake, so it's only good for quick static shots in tight places.

I dont use the varizoom anymore because the Bogen 542 ART I use for weddings is incredibly fast/stable......as for tight spaces, that is simply your ability to direct people.

-John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques