DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Posting a "Movie Trailer" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/46553-posting-movie-trailer.html)

Charley Gallagher June 21st, 2005 09:14 AM

Posting a "Movie Trailer"

This idea struck me as a way of using some of the shots I would normally use for a section of bloopers because there weren't many of them. Also I figured I could tease the couple a little making them want to see the finished product.
My third purpose is that I am so new at this (second wedding) that I have little demo material and I desperately need this to promote myself. Though I don't expect to be doing trailers for people too often if I never do another one it will sit on my demo reel.

On another forum someone posted a great idea for trailers that I will share. He said to use shots that, (my words) would be like little "cliffhangers", teasing the client. For instance, I might have the cake feeding (smashing) and count 1, 3 and cut on 3 before you see what happens. I love that idea. It wasn't what I was attempting to do here but it almost makes me want to try one like that.

I posted two links. The first streams well and the second is pretty huge. If you can handle the 2nd one, it is much better.

www.virtualcharley.com/trailer.wmv streams well

www.virtualcharley.com/trailer2.wmv looks good.

Ralph Longo June 21st, 2005 11:30 AM

I like it a lot. How would you go about giving it to the b&g? Does it go on the dvd with the wedding video or put it on a seperate dvd that you give them first or would you just post it to the internet?

Charley Gallagher June 21st, 2005 12:35 PM

Ralph,

I posted it on the internet then sent them the URL in an e-mail. I want them to share it with all their friends and people in the bridal party in particular. In the best of all worlds, they share it at work and somebody that might be getting married gets a peek at what is coming up. I just had someone in my office look at it. She already wanted to book me for a date that I am committed to working with Glen but she likes my work and will send the URL to a few of her friends who are potential bookings.

Charley Gallagher June 21st, 2005 12:36 PM

Oh, and it will be on the DVD in a section called "Extras". On my other wedding in the Extras section was a spoof on the videographers getting in the way, done somewhat like Keystone Cops style, and a bloopers section.

Glen Elliott June 23rd, 2005 10:22 AM

Thanks for the contribution Charley. I thought it was very clever and charming. I like your style- light-hearted, fun, and sometimes goofy. A nice change of pace from all the super-dramatic slow stuff I produce. Thanks.

Leonardo Silva Jr. July 20th, 2005 08:03 AM

helo mr charley, i tried to view the file but found no luck, is the file not viewable anymore? hope i can take a peek on it. looks like a good idea.

James Dunleavy July 20th, 2005 08:26 AM

Couldn't view movie?

I tried to view the clip but I received an error message indicating that "a file was not found"

Is this clip still on the web? I would love to view it.

Thanks,
James

Charley Gallagher July 21st, 2005 07:59 AM

Try this one: www.afavideography.com/trailer2.wmv

I posted on another forum where I got a lot of replies for another post and the bandwidth was used up in a day. This is an alternative and I never thought to post it here.

Let me know what you think.

charley

Peter Wiley July 21st, 2005 08:20 AM

Here's an idea.

The iTunes music store now supports podcasting feeds that have video included. (go to iTunes Music Store podcasting section and search for "rocketboom" for an example).

You could set up a feed for a couple as a service and then distrubute short clips of the wedding. Friends and family who didn't get a chance to get to the wedding could find the clips via the music store and look at them. The clips could feature high points.

Charley Gallagher July 21st, 2005 07:21 PM

I could do that with my website, right? Am I missing something? Is the posting free?

Kim Kinser July 27th, 2005 11:43 AM

Great Job!

I really liked the camera move beginning at 2:07.

KIM

Peter Wiley July 27th, 2005 12:34 PM

Charley,

You would have to set up an RSS feed to put on your Web server, so in that sense you would do it through your Web site -- that's where the RSS feed and the media files would reside.

Posting the feed information to iTunes is free for now.

A.J. Briones July 28th, 2005 12:26 PM

we actually started offering this as an extra service, covering the engagement shoot, filming a very short interview and creating a trailer out of it.

i then create a trailer website similar to hollywood movie trailer websites.

here's a work-in-progress example (movie not yet finished, picture gallery not yet complete):

http://www.infinite-studios.com/scottandangie

the website and trailer should be done in a week.

here's an older example, where the bride and groom wanted a "batman-like" feel:

http://www.infinite-studios.com/davidandgina

Leonardo Silva Jr. July 28th, 2005 09:02 PM

Hello A J briones, this is really cool, but how long do you retain them on your site? because it can cause bandwidth right? i'm really interested in doing this kind of service here in our country. do you have any advise? thanks in advance :)

A.J. Briones July 29th, 2005 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo Silva Jr.
how long do you retain them on your site?

hi leonardo. i host them from when they first get finished until i hand them the completed dvd. the dvd will have the high quality version in the bonus materials. i also plan to keep one or two around indefinitely as examples to show clients.

Quote:

because it can cause bandwidth right?

i have a pretty good host, so I don't really ever have bandwidth problems.
right now, it's not an issue, but it may be a problem down the line if i have 10 or 12 of these going simultaneously and they are all getting a good amount of traffic, added to the daily traffic the business end of the website gets. that said, i don't expect more than 50% of my clients to request this type of service.

Quote:

i'm really interested in doing this kind of service here in our country. do you have any advise? thanks in advance :)

hey, i'm originally from the philippines, and provided you can find a good host and don't mind the bandwidth you should be good to go. as far as advice goes, be sure you understand your host's storage and bandwidth limitations before you put up something like this. it could be costly. also, all of my clients are ok with using quicktime exclusively, but your client may want the video offerend in multiple formats.