DVD Printer Recommendation Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Printer Recommendation Please

My Canon iP4300 just died. I bought it about 2-1/2 years ago and got the "F" tray and instructions (service codes) on Ebay for turning it into an "Australian" printer to re-enable the CD/DVD print function. This was easy to do and for me at least the iP4300 was a great little no-hassle CD/DVD printer. Now I need a new CD/DVD printer. I do NOT need something designed for large volume. And I don't really NEED something designed as a photo printer (e.g. Epson 1400), as I have this covered already.

Canon now has the iP4700 (I think it uses the "G" tray) and I've been searching around the net to see if there are similar instructions for re-enabling the CD/DVD print function on the U.S. models. No luck yet.

I've also heard about some of the Epson printers, but my look at various consumer reviews (admittedly, not always accurate) has me a bit worried about clogging (I might only use this once every 2-3 weeks), and ink cost.

Basically, I just want what I had - a cheap, fast, no-hassle, CD/DVD printer. And really, I don't have to have cheap and fast, but I DO want something reliable and as maintenance-free as possible.

I thought I would check with wedding pros as persons who would have real world experience with this. Appreciate any comments.
Bob Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bob, I owed the ip4000 and it served well for a while. i switched to an Epson Stylus Photo pX810FW and it gives stunning, and I mean stunning DVD and CD prints. If you use Watersheild they look like a professional disk.

The ip4000 had a seperate holder for the disk. The Epson has a tray which drops down and you clip the DVD into. Works perectly.

there is a cheaper version called the PX710W, which doesn't have a built in fax.

Use a CIS ( continuous ink supply) to save a fortune on ink.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Bob,

I have an Epson R300 like many many others here, but I was asking the same question you are over the past month - and it seems there is no cheap, decent quality solution for occasional DVD printing that seems to beat Epson - although it has its faults, the R300 and other Epson photo printers that do DVD/CD printing are pretty much what you are hoping to find, even with the issues.

As far as I can tell, the next step is much more expensive printers that use large amounts of disks and/or ink and/or both.

On a related note I just ordered some Ink Jet printable disks from Primera that are supposed to have a nice glossy-type finish that is water resistant too. Should be interesting. If these don't live up to their description than I will probably go with the Watershield solution mentioned.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Epson

I go through an Epson printer about once every couple of years, and for the past 6 years, I haven't found a better solution. The one that is in the box waiting came from a Ritz camera purchase where I got the printer free. Soooooooo, unless Primera and the like want to get real with their pricing, I'll stick with the Epson.
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have been using the Epson r265 for two years and I have a brand new one still in the box ready for when the first dies. Really cheap to buy £65 and there are still a few around.

Otherwise the newer r series are even better if a little more expensive ( and I mean only a little)

the great thing about them is the cis (continous ink systems) you can get for them.

I got on for £30 and I still have not had to fill the ink again and I must have made 1000 DVDs and jackets! The refillink is only £7 for all 6 colours so there really is nothing that comes close to cost per disc printing.

The only problem I have is when doing 100 copies of a double DVD dance show it takes some time. I have a disc copying system but I have yet to go for a printing solution due to the cheap printing costs of the epson.

Anyone using a multiple disc printer? Interested in anyone experience with them.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks all. Appreciate the info.

Steve, the U.S. version seems to be called the Epson Artisan 810 (C11CA52201). I think I'll give this a shot. inkproducts.com seems to have a good solution. They also say that I should have no clogging problems, but if I do their kit comes with a "nozzle cleaner and printhead priming tool" which they say easily resolves these problems with Epson if they occur.

Bob
Bob Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Artisan 800

I am currently using the Epson Artisan 800

My first one had issues ( lit up like a christmas tree and refused to do anything error )

Remarkably with a quick call to Epson I had another one within days, to the USVI no less! and I sent the "bad" one back in the same box.

I love that kind of easy warranty aspect and the one I have know is perfect. The print quality is great. The loading tray is so so. I would like a more positive feel when the disk is in the correct place, other than that is is 5 of 5 stars from me.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:08 PM   #8
New Boot

Epson Artisan 800

I pretty much go along with Mike on the Epson 800 Artisan. I have only had it a few weeks and have printed several disks. The dvd tray is flimsy but works OK and the quality is very good. I researched this issue quite a bit before purchasing and Epson seems to be the big vote getter but not without possible issues. For me, so far it has worked well.

Ron
Ron J. Wildhaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm using Epson Artisan 50. It's a very inexpensive printer but the print out together with TY watersheild DVD works great! Also install the CISS system for continous ink. Save a lot of money.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:16 AM   #10
Major Player

Just FYI - I received my inkjet printable glossy DVDs from Primera - and they look unbelievable!! I absolutely LOVE the way the printed colors pop and how the discs look. Highly recommended!! DVD Duplicators, Disc Duplicator, CD Printer, DVD Duplicator, Discs Copiers, & Blu-Ray Duplication - and no, I'm not associated with them, just happy with what I got!
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #11
Major Player

Need a replacement for my R220

My R220 is having print head and roller issues after 5 yrs of service and I am looking to replace it. I am currently considering the Artisan 810 or stylus 1400 printers from Epson. I noticed some are using these options and I was wondering what your experience was like with these models. I like the wireless and all-in-one features of the 810 and the larger formats available with the 1400 but the primary use will be short run disc printing. Staples currently has the 810 for 139.99 and the 1400 for 219.99. In past experiences, all-in-ones tend to do everything good but nothing great and that also has me a little reserved about the 810. I don't know if it will be a similar experience or not. Thanks.
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I've been using the 1400 for a couple of years and frankly I am very pleased with it. My 2-R200s finally gave up the ghost and I was in the middle of a run. The only printer I could take home that day was the 1400 and while I didn't think I needed the large print ability it has paid for itself with just one job. I did a bunch of 12X18 sign boards for corporate client and when all was said and done the printer was paid for. Couldn't do that with the 200s. Anyway I really like the 1400-2 years lots and lots of DVDs and print and no problems at all.
Of course YMMV.
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I got the Epson 280 when I bought a camera. It has some of the same random print anomolies as my 200 did. So I'm not impressed, sometimes it'll just print dirty little random lines so I have to clean it like 2 or 3 times. I'm looking to replace it when it runs out of ink.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I recommend using an Epson Stylus Photo R800 as this uses pigment-based inks which are smudge resistant & don't run if they ever get wet (I know that the DVDs should never get wet but even sweaty hands can be enough to mess up the label).
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #15
Trustee

Doesn't everybody spray seal their disks? Looks professional and costs much less that watershield (which didn't come in dual layer last time I checked).
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques