DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How to create video tutorial (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/466064-how-create-video-tutorial.html)

Jeff Harper October 19th, 2009 12:52 PM

How to create video tutorial

I have a potential client who has asked if I can produce a software training video similar to Lynda training videos, etc. Another example of what he wants would be the videos produced by DSE, where the viewer watches activity and instruction as it occurs on the instructor's video screen. Videos would be about 1 hour long each.

I am primarily a wedding videographer, and I dabble in small corporate projects such as sales presentations, etc. Since this is my slow time of year, I am willing to learn what I must if I can give the customer a quality product within a reasonable timeframe. The company involved is a software development company so there is significant potential here for the videographer who lands the job. Mind you I said "potential". The company could be a bunch of flakes, I don't know, but I'm willing to investigate further, since I'm bound to learn something in this process whether I work with them or not.

I have no clue how software instructional videos are done. Is the computer screen simply videotaped with the voiceover done at the same time? Anyone give me a general idea of the process for this kind of work?

Paul Cascio October 19th, 2009 01:01 PM

Jeff, Camtasia Studio is designed for exactly this sort of thing. Here's a link:

Camtasia Studio, TechSmith's Screen Recording Software

Jeff Harper October 19th, 2009 01:11 PM

Thanks, Paul. I suspected there was software available for this, as it seemed clear the videos I've seen were too high a quality to have been recorded with a video camera.

Now, I suppose if I were to use this software I would install it on their machine? Or would they buy it and use it, and then give me the video to edit? Hmmmm...this opens up a whole new bunch of question...

Jeff Harper October 19th, 2009 01:18 PM

Since the folks are software people anyway, I gave them the link and recommended they do it themselves, as all they need to do is create the presentation, record it, and edit, which Camtasia does. The were jumping for joy with the info, and I told them to call me if they need an actual videographer in the future. At this point, it seems to be the end of the story. Thanks again Paul.

Paul Cascio October 19th, 2009 01:32 PM

Your welcome. I was going to suggest that you have them teach you what they want taught in the video.

At the same time, record the screen in real time and record a separate audio of the instruction and your comments and questions.

Then, it should be relatively easy to create a tutorial.

Jeff Harper October 19th, 2009 01:40 PM

Good idea for them to teach me, but since this is their proprietary software, they will probably do fine...the man has a great voice, so hopefully he'll do well.