DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   So long DVD Studio Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/466295-so-long-dvd-studio-pro.html)

Craig Terott October 22nd, 2009 08:25 PM

So long DVD Studio Pro

Being on the verge of buying the latest Final Cut Studio upgrade, it occurred to me, why? The lack of support for Blu-ray (just so they can push their online distribution model) has been burning me. It is my number one post-production issue. Not being able to produce Blu-ray content for a client base that IS asking about it, is a lost opportunity cost that has reached a tipping point with me. And still, in the latest release they've left DVDSP untouched.

Looking carefully at my new Encore CS4, it feels like it's about 2 years ahead of DVDSP. Encore is a pretty good option for Blu-ray and one-step downconvert to DVD functionality is slick.

Goodbye DVDSP4

Steven Pustay October 23rd, 2009 10:07 AM

1 Step Downconvert

Craig,

I've used Encore to burn 4 Blu Ray dvds for customers already. Edited in FCP exported as quicktime. Import to Encore, add Menus from Motion. It all works flawlessly.

What I have not done is down convert. You mention it's a single step. I've always headed back to final cut and dvd studio pro to handle my standard dvd burns. Can I do that easily in Encore? Any help you could give me would be great.

I'm an idiot if it was easy to do in Encore.

Steve Pustay

Glen Elliott October 23rd, 2009 11:18 AM

Yeah Apple has dropped the ball with DVDSP support/Bluray. However don't throw the baby out with the bathwater- the new FCP has plenty of other nice additions. It's just that DVDSP seems to be their red-headed stepchild.

Travis Cossel October 23rd, 2009 02:04 PM

Count me in with the frustrated multitude. I was shocked when the new FCS came out and DVD Studio Pro still didn't have true Blu-Ray support. I'm a big fan of Apple products, but this is really chafing me.

Bill Vincent October 23rd, 2009 03:02 PM

My sixth sense tells me that this will be a non-issue soon with FCP... I bet it's coming soon via update - hopefully they won't make us buy a whole new version tho.

Travis Cossel October 23rd, 2009 07:26 PM

Well, while they are dragging their feet they are losing people to the CS series. At least make an announcement if something is coming, you know? Personally, I don't think it's coming.

SiuChung Leung October 23rd, 2009 08:05 PM

Count me in as well! We are trying to be the leading Blu-ray studio in our area and DVD studio is slowing us down. Come on, even toast support blu-ray now!!

Ethan Cooper October 23rd, 2009 08:35 PM

why not, I'll add my voice to the frustrated masses, all 8 of us.

Just give us BluRay for crying out loud.

Matthew Hampton October 25th, 2009 07:15 PM

Have any of you tried the Bluray functionality in FCP 7 yet? I haven't as I don't have a Bluray burner, but from what I can tell it looks like an after thought. No custom menus, no preview...

Craig Terott October 26th, 2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Pustay (Post 1436830)
Craig,

I've used Encore to burn 4 Blu Ray dvds for customers already. Edited in FCP exported as quicktime. Import to Encore, add Menus from Motion. It all works flawlessly.

What I have not done is down convert. You mention it's a single step. I've always headed back to final cut and dvd studio pro to handle my standard dvd burns. Can I do that easily in Encore? Any help you could give me would be great.

I'm an idiot if it was easy to do in Encore.

Steve Pustay

Once you have your HD project authored (in Encore CS4), go to the build tab, select the format drop-down and choose DVD, in the "output" drop-down choose DVD disc.

Some helpful details in this video:
Learn Encore CS4 - Getting Started: 07 Exporting to multiple formats | Adobe TV

Bill Vincent October 26th, 2009 07:01 PM

I haven't tried them yet Matthew, but yes, it does look like very minimal stuff there. I will find out sometime.

Alexandru Cristescu October 27th, 2009 01:58 AM

It's been update after update that I have waited patiently but one can only take so much neglect. I swear if bluray isn't an option by the next upgrade I'm gone. And no will not jump through any hoops just to get a hackjob bluray.

Travis Cossel October 27th, 2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Hampton (Post 1437783)
Have any of you tried the Bluray functionality in FCP 7 yet? I haven't as I don't have a Bluray burner, but from what I can tell it looks like an after thought. No custom menus, no preview...

I haven't tried it as I refuse to purchase the latest 'upgrade', but I've done a fair amount of research on it. FCP7 offers a very basic rudimentary BR option. You can't create custom menus, for example. Anyways, from what I've read it really does seem like, not so much an after-thought, but more like a 'we just aren't going there and this is all we're giving you' type of thing. At this point, part of me is hoping BR fails as a product just so I don't have to come up with a solution outside of FCP. d;-)

Randy Johnson October 27th, 2009 07:23 PM

IMHO I think Apple is letting DVDSP 4 go they didnt write it and it probably would cost to much to revamp it for bluray. I think they will eventually release full capabilitys in either FCP or compressor but I wouldnt hold my breath. Apple is'nt big on small updates along the way it will more likely come with the next FCS which if its like 3 might be up to 2 years. also Apple isn't going to release BR support if they dont have BR burners in there computers and they just released new i-macs and minis WITHOUT BR options even players. Use Encore I do and it works fine.

Ram Purad October 27th, 2009 10:10 PM

All the Mac/FCP users, what brand of Blu ray burner are you using? I'm in the process of buying one. Would love to hear about your experience with your burner. Thanks.